IGNORED

If Your Son Played For Rovers..

gater2

Pro clubs are mainly interested in only one or two players in each age group, the others are there just to make the numbers up. The lad would be better off with Jamie Shores Academy or such like, if he's good enough, he'll make it.

Why wouldn't you want your lad to receive FREE professional coaching? My boy has been to Jamie Shore and, take it from me, what he gets at Cardiff in the way of coaching is of a very high standard.

Why wouldn't you want your lad to receive FREE professional coaching? My boy has been to Jamie Shore and, take it from me, what he gets at Cardiff in the way of coaching is of a far superior standard.

I had FREE professional coaching at Rovers and City, my son had FREE professional coaching when he was a youngster at City. My son also had Free coaching from myself as have a lot of others. We didn't make it as full-time Pros because we weren't good enough. A few years ago one of my players had a trial with City reserves, he was the only non-league player playing, 5 others came from exit trials, and had FREE professional coaching through their clubs academys from the age of 8/9, the only lad Tinnion offered a contract to was my player who had developed at the right age (18) not 8-17. and had far less professional coaching than any of them, so don't get too carried away, but what do i know.

I had FREE professional coaching at Rovers and City, my son had FREE professional coaching when he was a youngster at City. My son also had Free coaching from myself as have a lot of others. We didn't make it as full-time Pros because we weren't good enough. A few years ago one of my players had a trial with City reserves, he was the only non-league player playing, 5 others came from exit trials, and had FREE professional coaching through their clubs academys from the age of 8/9, the only lad Tinnion offered a contract to was my player who had developed at the right age (18) not 8-17. and had far less professional coaching than any of them, so don't get too carried away, but what do i know.

I'm not getting carried away mate and I never suggested you don't know what you are talking about either (you probably didn't notice that I also changed the wording in my original post on reflection). For every example you give above there are examples of lads who have been through the system from the age of 8 and go on to have a good professional career. Whilst it is fair to say that professional coaching is not necessarily better for a boy I don't think you can suggest to people that their lads would be better off at the likes off Jamie Shore - each situation is different.

As you correctly say it is all down to whether each boy has got the ability and the willingness to learn and work hard.

I would want him to play amazingly well against us in a friendly, (because we all know rovers wont be playing us in the league anytime soon) and score a hat-trick with city coming out as 4-3 winners, after this i would hope that johnson would snap him up because of how he played and he will be in the red and white strip for his next game !

I'm not getting carried away mate and I never suggested you don't know what you are talking about either (you probably didn't notice that I also changed the wording in my original post on reflection). For every example you give above there are examples of lads who have been through the system from the age of 8 and go on to have a good professional career. Whilst it is fair to say that professional coaching is not necessarily better for a boy I don't think you can suggest to people that their lads would be better off at the likes off Jamie Shore - each situation is different.

As you correctly say it is all down to whether each boy has got the ability and the willingness to learn and work hard.

I think the odds are that a talented enough kid will make it if he's been through an Academy or Centre of Excellence rather than anything set up privately by an ex pro.

Nothing to say that someone won't come through that route but of course whilst they will have had good coaching, they won't have played against the best quality opposition at their age.

From the age of 15, there's a very good standard of football in the area if a kid can get into a sw counties league youth side and they do their best to get them trials at Pro clubs as well if thats what the player wants.

Pro clubs are mainly interested in only one or two players in each age group, the others are there just to make the numbers up. The lad would be better off with Jamie Shores Academy or such like, if he's good enough, he'll make it.

We were told that, but it's a case of he's almost 6 years old so lets see what happens. If by the time he's say 11 and it looks like he won't make it and kids around him are much much better then I will look at alternatives.

MM

We were told that, but it's a case of he's almost 6 years old so lets see what happens. If by the time he's say 11 and it looks like he won't make it and kids around him are much much better then I will look at alternatives.

MM

Coming from an alternative angle, if your lad is not one of the two or three "chosen ones" (if, indeed that is the way the Academies work), isn't it still a good experience for him to play at places like Portsmouth, Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton, West Brom, Chelsea, Southampton, Aston Villa, Birmingham, Coventry, MK Dons, QPR, Fulham and the like? I'm sure he would enjoy playing at these places whether he makes the grade or not.

Coming from an alternative angle, if your lad is not one of the two or three "chosen ones" (if, indeed that is the way the Academies work), isn't it still a good experience for him to play at places like Portsmouth, Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton, West Brom, Chelsea, Southampton, Aston Villa, Birmingham, Coventry, MK Dons, QPR, Fulham and the like? I'm sure he would enjoy playing at these places whether he makes the grade or not.

Absolutely - they often play at the same ground as the pros train.

To be fair to City, they were always up front at an early age about the chances of making it and encourage the lads to make the most of the experience when they are nippers.

Great responses.. I appreciate you'd not let it happen.. but Let's just say it has happened, hypothetically your son has signed for Rovers. It's the City v Rovers derby next week. Would you

a) Buy tickets in the City end, chant for city, abuse Rovers etc.

b) Buy tickets in the City end and keep quiet, wanting City to win

c) Buy tickets in the City end and keep quiet secretly wanting Rovers to win

d) Buy tickets in the Rovers end and keep quiet, secretly wanting City to win

e) Buy tickets in the Rovers end and keep quiet, wanting Rovers to win

f) Not buy tickets to the match!

I would probably want it to be a draw with my son scoring a few times!

I would never want the scum to win, if my boy did play for the other side, I would still want him to lose, as I could never want Bristol City to lose, especially to those C###S. Never goona happen anyway as my hatred for them as passed through my boys veins.

I would never want the scum to win, if my boy did play for the other side, I would still want him to lose, as I could never want Bristol City to lose, especially to those C###S. Never goona happen anyway as my hatred for them as passed through my boys veins.

F##k, just asked my boy, the question, that if no-one else offered him a contract, but the scum did would he sign for them, his instant reply was "No way", but when I pretended I wouldn't be mad at him, he then replyed "yes,then, I might do". I think more of "The Clockwork Orange Treatment" is in order, 8 years old or not.

Archived