IGNORED

Wingers, Central Midfielders..

gater2

Just wondering.. with all this no wingers, playing 4 central midfielders etc. Does anyone else think in the summer GJ may have had a plan and then suddenly Hartley & Sno became available and he snatched at them because he thought they were too good to turn down, rather than sticking to a plan? It would make sense. Maybe he had been looking at Hartley, but I get the impression he didn't know he was being released by Celtic until quite late, and we all know about the Sno deal being done quite fast.

They are obviously two of the most talented footballers at the club, but playing out of position and in a midfield where they aren't employed to their strengths almost defeats the object of having them at all. We've now got the following central midfielders at the club (admittedly they have different roles, but would ceratinly all take one of two 'central' roles in a 442 formation in an ideal world): Sno, Hartley, Eliott, Johnson, Skuse, Williams, Artus (?).

This isn't a moan, just something that has become more apparent with all the winger debate coming on. To balance the books, do you think we maybe need to let one or two go, maybe Williams in Jan? If we are able to get a winger or two in Jan, having Hartely and Sno is central midfield in a 442 I think would be very strong.

To add to that, of the four central midfielders we had playing yesterday the two 'ball winning' types were Elliot and Sno, and yet they were the two deployed down the flanks!! Who's ever heard of your midfield tacklers playing as wingers??!! It's a bit like an England side playing David Batty and Paul Ince on the wings!

RIDICULOUS JOHNSON!!!! GET YOUR BLINKERS OFF AND ADDRESS THE BALANCE AND SHAPE OF YOUR TEAM!!!

If you can't fit them into your system or be prepared to change your system then you really shouldn't be signing them. We have needed a player like Hartley for a long time. I'm not sure we have seen teh best of him and would put that down to the tactics. I would like to see us play to our main players strengths tbh. hartley Sno and Maynard to me are the players we should be building our team around.

Just wondering.. with all this no wingers, playing 4 central midfielders etc. Does anyone else think in the summer GJ may have had a plan and then suddenly Hartley & Sno became available and he snatched at them because he thought they were too good to turn down, rather than sticking to a plan? It would make sense. Maybe he had been looking at Hartley, but I get the impression he didn't know he was being released by Celtic until quite late, and we all know about the Sno deal being done quite fast.

They are obviously two of the most talented footballers at the club, but playing out of position and in a midfield where they aren't employed to their strengths almost defeats the object of having them at all. We've now got the following central midfielders at the club (admittedly they have different roles, but would ceratinly all take one of two 'central' roles in a 442 formation in an ideal world): Sno, Hartley, Eliott, Johnson, Skuse, Williams, Artus (?).

This isn't a moan, just something that has become more apparent with all the winger debate coming on. To balance the books, do you think we maybe need to let one or two go, maybe Williams in Jan? If we are able to get a winger or two in Jan, having Hartely and Sno is central midfield in a 442 I think would be very strong.

I think you are right. If we cast are minds back to mid June, all the talk seemed to be about the various wingers we were being linked with. Lee Martin, that Greek winger (cant remember his name!) and there were a whole host of other wide players we seemed to be strongly linked with. At that stage i was very confident and excited about the prospect of getting in a few wingers and i thought at LAST we would see some width this season.

But theres no point crying over spilt milk, whats done is done and its now up to GJ to use January to correct the stupid mistakes made in the summer (not replacing Mcindoe was madness) in January.

hartley Sno and Maynard to me are the players we should be building our team around.

I think that's a very good shout. Most of the top teams build their teams around the best few players and it doesn't mean neglecting the other players, but acknowledging the match winning players need to be played where they can turn the match! These three are the best players in our squad imo.

I agree with the majority of this thread but I do dissagree with one point.

I don't believe you can play both Sno and Hartley in central midfield together. We would never have enough possession as they are not blessed as great tacklers or ball winners. Sno should be with his size but he is a lover not a fighter. Hartley probably was when he was younger but no longer has the legs to close people down quickly.

This will probably upset some people but I have been dissapointed in both Sno and Hartley since they arrived. With all the hype when they arrived and I would bet that they are on the highest wages at the club I have not seen the end product promised. Whether that is thier fault is another debate regarding tactics and positions.

Archived