IGNORED

Scapegoating Of Mccombe

windmillhillred

Quite a few little digs on here after the goal, which Radio Bristol suggested McCombe was at fault for.

Looking at the replay, it seems that some blame can be placed on:

1. Fontaine, who perhaps could have got a head on the ball from Weale.

2. Gerken, who should have come off his line.

McCombe's only fault was that he's not as quick as Fryatt, but I can't see anything technically that he could have done to prevent a well taken goal.

Clearly, great performance tonight and their goal is just a small blip. But criticism of McCombe, the scape-goat of the moment, is unfair on this ocassion.

Quite a few little digs on here after the goal, which Radio Bristol suggested McCombe was at fault for.

Looking at the replay, it seems that some blame can be placed on:

1. Fontaine, who perhaps could have got a head on the ball from Weale.

2. Gerken, who should have come off his line.

McCombe's only fault was that he's not as quick as Fryatt, but I can't see anything technically that he could have done to prevent a well taken goal.

Clearly, great performance tonight and their goal is just a small blip. But criticism of McCombe, the scape-goat of the moment, is unfair on this ocassion.

Agreed. McCombe was infact the only defender to react after the goal kick got over the top, and his slide at the end was as close as you could get to cutting the shot out, unfortunate. Gerken's fault if anyones - his coming off the line would probably have stopped Fryatt getting the ball.

That's the whole point tho, McCoombe is no longer quick enough for this standard of football. He has cost us a few goals recently as is always caught out against the quicker more skillfull players.

You cannot blame Gerken for last nights goal McCoombe was closer to the ball and should have easily shepparded it back to goal but he was once again caught out by Fryatts pace.

Although i like the big guy and all he has done for the club, the next transfer window we ought to let him go and get James Wilson back from his loan spell ready to build for the future.

That's the whole point tho, McCoombe is no longer quick enough for this standard of football. He has cost us a few goals recently as is always caught out against the quicker more skillfull players.

You cannot blame Gerken for last nights goal McCoombe was closer to the ball and should have easily shepparded it back to goal but he was once again caught out by Fryatts pace.

Although i like the big guy and all he has done for the club, the next transfer window we ought to let him go and get James Wilson back from his loan spell ready to build for the future.

Nope - the ball was Gerkins - he didn't come for it. Even the other defenders told him so.

doesn't really matter does it. Fact is McCombe isnt as good as Carey, Fonts or Nyatanga.

True enough - but it's harsh to blame him for something that was not his fault. And I know you can also argue that if it had been Carey or someone else there then maybe Gerkin wouldn't have needed to have come out - but the fact was he wasn't and Gerkin should have.

I wasn't at the game, so I can't comment on McCombe's culpability for the goal. However, I WILL point out that it was YET ANOTHER late goal conceded.

However, what frustrates me is Johnson's continued faith in a central defender that has no pace and is slow to turn. At this level, that is a liability IMO.

I wasn't at the game, so I can't comment on McCombe's culpability for the goal. However, I WILL point out that it was YET ANOTHER late goal conceded.

However, what frustrates me is Johnson's continued faith in a central defender that has no pace and is slow to turn. At this level, that is a liability IMO.

Thanks for pointing that out - I don't think anyone had realised.

As an ex-Goalkeeper myself I can tell you with 100% certainty that Gerken should have been on the edge of his box when Weale kicked the ball down the field from the other end of the pitch. Weale's kick was so quick and flat that the ball would have simply rolled through to Gerken with Fryatt yards short of getting there. It was a simple lack of concentration by Gerken. And it sounds like every player in the City back four pointed that out to him too - he cost them their Clean Sheet bonus (not that he owes them much with many of the saves he has pulled off that have won us points this season - including last Saturday)!!

I agree that McCombe is getting found out at this level but it is simply not fair to blame him for something that is blatantly NOT his fault just to suit your argument.

Nobody disagrees with that I don't think. But what did happen yesterday, was as a result of Radio Bristol blaming him for the goal, was that he got a lot of completely unwarranted criticism on here.

Yes, the not-hard-to-answer question is:

If the commentators hadn't blamed him, would the posters?

As an ex-Goalkeeper myself I can tell you with 100% certainty that Gerken should have been on the edge of his box when Weale kicked the ball down the field from the other end of the pitch. Weale's kick was so quick and flat that the ball would have simply rolled through to Gerken with Fryatt yards short of getting there. It was a simple lack of concentration by Gerken. And it sounds like every player in the City back four pointed that out to him too - he cost them their Clean Sheet bonus (not that he owes them much with many of the saves he has pulled off that have won us points this season - including last Saturday)!!

I agree that McCombe is getting found out at this level but it is simply not fair to blame him for something that is blatantly NOT his fault just to suit your argument.

Can't believe I agree with you!! An ex-goalkeeper as well! Wow - we have so much in common!

I dont disagree that Deano was not stood in the correct position, my argument is, McCoombe is now to slow and is getting caught out countless times not just last night.

I wasn't at the game last night but have seen many times, the big guy struggle against nippy skillfull players.

Looking at the highlights it was obvious to see that if he had been a yard quicker he would have got to the ball before Fryatt and would have been able to pass back to Gerkin wherever he was standing.

A goalkeeper will only come for the ball if he is 100% certain he can get to it which requires COMMUNICATION. It is no good ranting "it should have been your ball" after a goal has been scored, when there is no communication between goalie and centre half in the first place.

Communication is a two way street and anyway, sometimes when the ball is in your box you have to make the decision.

Communication is a two way street and anyway, sometimes when the ball is in your box you have to make the decision.

I would tend to agree, there does need to be communication between the pair of them though, either Deano has to tell McCoombe to get it away or McCoombe has to call for Deano to get it. From the highlights I've seen I would place the blame more on McCoombe's side but then again I wasn't at the game so I've only had one view of it.

I would tend to agree, there does need to be communication between the pair of them though, either Deano has to tell McCoombe to get it away or McCoombe has to call for Deano to get it. From the highlights I've seen I would place the blame more on McCoombe's side but then again I wasn't at the game so I've only had one view of it.

The reason I hold Gerken more responsible as an ex-Keeper (I am aware from previous postings you are too) is that a keeper should be on the edge of his box anyway when the ball is up the other end. Gerken's starting position looked like it must have been on the edge of his six yard box instead of 18 yard box and he appears to have stayed there (just a basic lack of concentration which is the root cause of many goalkeeping mistakes). I think he would easily have gathered the ball had he been on the edge of his box (or at least have been able to come a couple of paces outside his area and "row z" it)!!

Don't get me wrong I think Gerken has the raw attributes to be one hell of a keeper over time (too good for this league anyway) and the goal on Tuesday night is just another part of the learning process for him.

I don't believe either McCombe or Gerken can be blamed for the goal. McCombe was chasing a long punt, got done for pace even though his position was good, Gerken did the right thing by not coming for the ball because we had a defender chasing back.

No fault for either player as far as I'm concerned.

I don't believe either McCombe or Gerken can be blamed for the goal. McCombe was chasing a long punt, got done for pace even though his position was good, Gerken did the right thing by not coming for the ball because we had a defender chasing back.

You could say Weale made the goal. Surely a poor one to concede though ?

If Gerkin had come out he would have got to it and avoided the goal. Sure McCombe was slow off the mark but Gerkin needs be more alert.

Archived