IGNORED

January Spending

herman

i've seen a number of posts on here about the need to "buy a new winger in january", or two wingers, and some people are looking for a new left back too. whilst i wouldn't disagree that some more width would be nice, i am a bit mystified about where exactly this money is going to come from, especially since january is an expensive time to buy

the club recently announced a 6m loss - this was before we signed sno, saborio etc

the club is paying (either in whole or in part) wages for velicka, styvar, trundle etc - not cheap players

lansdown admitted the club is being run at an "unsustainable" rate unless we go up

lansdown has a lot of money (as does the club, although the club in itself without lansdown is basically a financial black hole) tied up in the new stadium

johnson has an absolutely awful record in the market when spending more than about 250k - you don't get many wingers worth signing for less than that, and a kightly example doesn't crop up often

personally, if i was lansdown i would say "you have to sell before you can buy" (although not many of our players bar maynard have much sale value right now). why should lansdown stump up again for a big money signing and then watch in dismay as johnson uses him in a role other than his natural one (ala styvar, trundle, clarkson, sno...) then ships them out on loan when they're not cutting it

if i was lansdown i'd be thinking twice about throwing good money after bad

thoughts?

Can we afford not to?

We need to shift Trundle for starters, SL is a generous guy, but recklessly throwing money at the club is financial suicide and as much as he supports GJ, SL does has financial limitations. He needs to run the club as responsibly, but progressively. Its pretty imposable to progress in football when others around you are happy to pay eye waters wages or transfer fee's.

We need a winger though, GJ has admitted as much and I'm sure, as always SL will back him 100%.

I would think it's pretty obvious that some money needs to be freed up from somewhere, and the two obvious people to go in Jan are Trundle & Basso. That is a big hit cashwise there, and would make it possible to bring players in.

Don't for one minute think that SL won't back GJ either. He's proved it time and time again, although I agree that some of GJ's signings haven't been the best. Got to admire SL for the way he backs his manager, and just hoping that maybe he's put a few quid aside for January. Don't forget that there are other clubs, Watford and Palarse spring to mind readily, who will need to sell in January to survive, let alone to free up a few quid. We could be in a far, far worse position.

i've seen a number of posts on here about the need to "buy a new winger in january", or two wingers, and some people are looking for a new left back too. whilst i wouldn't disagree that some more width would be nice, i am a bit mystified about where exactly this money is going to come from, especially since january is an expensive time to buy

the club recently announced a 6m loss - this was before we signed sno, saborio etc

the club is paying (either in whole or in part) wages for velicka, styvar, trundle etc - not cheap players

lansdown admitted the club is being run at an "unsustainable" rate unless we go up

lansdown has a lot of money (as does the club, although the club in itself without lansdown is basically a financial black hole) tied up in the new stadium

johnson has an absolutely awful record in the market when spending more than about 250k - you don't get many wingers worth signing for less than that, and a kightly example doesn't crop up often

personally, if i was lansdown i would say "you have to sell before you can buy" (although not many of our players bar maynard have much sale value right now). why should lansdown stump up again for a big money signing and then watch in dismay as johnson uses him in a role other than his natural one (ala styvar, trundle, clarkson, sno...) then ships them out on loan when they're not cutting it

if i was lansdown i'd be thinking twice about throwing good money after bad

thoughts?

I wouldn't let GJ anyhere near the cheque book at the moment.

He needs to get this side playing well first before adding to it, perhaps if he offloaded a few from Trundle, Styvar, McCombe, Johnson, Williams, Akinde, B Wilson, Artus for example then give him something then, but he has spent a shed load of money getting to this point and our incomings have been small in comparison to our outgoings.

Dave Jones of Cardiff has generated his own transfer funds by blooding youngsters and selling them on at a huge profit, something I think we wont see under Johnson, he doesn't take risks like that.

I think SL will allow GJ a new left sided player but for any others I expect that Mr Johnson will have to turn into Dell Boy with a bit of wheeler dealing to bring in new faces. I wouldn't be suprised to see Marvin Elliott leaving along with Lee Trundle.

We are overdrawn and I expect little to no new recruits; we will just plod on, skirmishing close to the top six or bottom 3; we will not go up or go down; pull up your seats for Englands :englandsmile4wf: millionares at the world cup.

We just aswell cash in somehow on players like,

Ribiero, Artus, Clarkson, Akinde, Mccombe, Sproule, L J, williams, Trundle, Basso, wilson, all these players as far as i can see have no real future at CITY, when and if any of these guys are selected, they are either played out of position or weaken the team or simply dont get a chance, so IF Johnson dosnt rate any of them either sell um, loan um or simply get rid and release the wages to bring in some quality wide men and a striker.

We need to get rid of the deadwood like LJ, McCombe and Trundle to start with to have a hope of buying someone. Loan deals seem the way forward if money is a big problem.

I agree that those players are dead wood and I'd add Sproule despite his one a season wonder goal, Brian Wilson and Gavin Williams (wouldn't if he was ever deemed fit enough) but I'm not convinced that saving five months wages is a reason to risk further disruption mid season.

We definitely need two wide players in and since we appear to be wildly overspending to go for the Prem we might as well go the whole hog.

Archived