IGNORED

Winger Talk

Derk94

New Winger  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I read earlier about Ivan Sproule's injury, and couldn't help but ask myself, do we need a new winger?

I mean, Ivan has tremendous pace, but lacks in ability. Yea, yea, say what you like about the goal he scored the other day, but on average his ability is lacking in terms of crossing and beating a man more than one way. I mean knocking it round him with pace, as that will get picked up when the next opposition watches our games and he will get stopped every game.

Then we have Gavin Williams - Bags of ability, lacking in pace, doesn't get played (this is what the third poll answer was about!) He can cross, and has a beautiful shot on him! And he has trickery which could work in our play, he kind of reminds me of David Noble, but in some cases, better. His fitness is also lacking.

I just think it might be time to start looking at options else where as we are one month away from the transfer window, and with some clubs losing money and selling off players, there is a chance for a great signing which could boost our promotion bid. A few months ago, we had game or two where Danny Haynes would get the ball and make diagonal runs to the box, where he passed it across to Maynard to tap it in. This happened twice in the same game, and I think we should try and bring this style back in, but as well as keeping Maynard's long shots in the game!

Pace and ability is what we are looking for! :)

Derky, I think you are going to get around 100% "Yes", maybe a better poll to do would be who we want. Ask people for names, and then make a poll on a new thread or something.

The winger situation is an interesting one, especially as there is debate about how much money we actually have. I'd like to think we would be prepared to have "one last throw of the dice" this season and spend 1 Million on one more player to strengthen the squad. Ideally someone fast, but with end product. George Boyd would be perfect, or a Premier League loanee. Funds dictate everything though.

Derky, I think you are going to get around 100% "Yes", maybe a better poll to do would be who we want. Ask people for names, and then make a poll on a new thread or something.

The winger situation is an interesting one, especially as there is debate about how much money we actually have. I'd like to think we would be prepared to have "one last throw of the dice" this season and spend 1 Million on one more player to strengthen the squad. Ideally someone fast, but with end product. George Boyd would be perfect, or a Premier League loanee. Funds dictate everything though.

Cheers for the idea! Yea, you are right, but I don't think Boyd has enough pace. We need to be talking Danny Haynes/Ivan Sproule pace! It's weird as I was just reading that 'Boro are looking to loan Macheda from Man Utd and I was going to start a topic stating what you just said about a Prem loanee. We need to look at someone like Ramsay from Arsenal as they are looking to loan him out. Or Sturridge, who Chelsea signed in the summer as he isn't getting a game there! :D

Yes we need a left winger in this window

between haynes/Ivan and Williams i reckon we should be able to sort the right side out already

Hmmmm, I was going to say Sno can play on the left, but then I think he played better in the centre as he did against Leicester. We definitely missed him there against Doncaster. I think Elliott could fit the right of mid, with Hartley dropping slightly and Sno above him, then we just need a left wing...... unless we place Haynes there and play Maynard and Clarkson upfront?! Good idea!

Hmmmm, I was going to say Sno can play on the left, but then I think he played better in the centre as he did against Leicester. We definitely missed him there against Doncaster. I think Elliott could fit the right of mid, with Hartley dropping slightly and Sno above him, then we just need a left wing...... unless we place Haynes there and play Maynard and Clarkson upfront?! Good idea!

elliotts a CM, and hes no where near as effective on the wing

elliotts a CM, and hes no where near as effective on the wing

IMO we need to have Sno, Hartley, and Elliott playing at the same time, and this is the best way to do this as Sno played amazing against Leicester so he deserves another chance in CM. Elliott is quick and is adapting on the right so he will get better in that position, besides he will drift into the middle anyway :) Just a thought though.

Cheers for the idea! Yea, you are right, but I don't think Boyd has enough pace. We need to be talking Danny Haynes/Ivan Sproule pace! It's weird as I was just reading that 'Boro are looking to loan Macheda from Man Utd and I was going to start a topic stating what you just said about a Prem loanee. We need to look at someone like Ramsay from Arsenal as they are looking to loan him out. Or Sturridge, who Chelsea signed in the summer as he isn't getting a game there! :D

I would think he'll get game time with Drogba away in January

I don't think it could hurt to get a left sided midfield player in if one's available. It would give Johnson more tactical options to choose from.

However, I don't think wingers are essential. If you look at Arsenal they often play with central players across their midfield (and lately up front as well). None of their players are really natural wide-men but their movement and passing is good enough to create space in all areas of the pitch. Obviously their players are better than ours but relative to the rest of the division we have some attacking midfield players. I think something like that is what Johnson has been aiming for but it just hasn't come off yet.

IMO we need to have Sno, Hartley, and Elliott playing at the same time, and this is the best way to do this as Sno played amazing against Leicester so he deserves another chance in CM. Elliott is quick and is adapting on the right so he will get better in that position, besides he will drift into the middle anyway :) Just a thought though.

How many more chances would you give Elliott? Elliott chose to play as the right-sided CM of the 4-1-2-3 alongside LJ. For me, his form is so bad that I'd be picking Skuse, LJ & Williams ahead of him and selling him in January if I could get 1+mk.

I didn't see Leicester and so can't comment on Sno as CM. I suspect we'll have to move him back to inside left unless we're seriously thinking of Williams starting there.

Johnson's not specifically said winger, a 'left footed, left sided midfielder' is what he said, i can see him picking up a left sided player of the Gavin Williams mould, he's a right sided right footed midfielder but by no means a winger.

I'd like to see Johnson do his old trick of pulling a very good-exceptional player from the league below who comfortably make the step up, there are left sided players out there and I am confident we will pick one up in January.

George Boyd, Wes Hoolahan, these names are both at this league 1 to championship level and Johnson is capable of improving them further.

How many more chances would you give Elliott? Elliott chose to play as the right-sided CM of the 4-1-2-3 alongside LJ. For me, his form is so bad that I'd be picking Skuse, LJ & Williams ahead of him and selling him in January if I could get 1+mk.

I didn't see Leicester and so can't comment on Sno as CM. I suspect we'll have to move him back to inside left unless we're seriously thinking of Williams starting there.

Did you see the goals? If not go to the BBC sport website and go to the championship and Bristol City, the goals are on there :)

Did you see the goals? If not go to the BBC sport website and go to the championship and Bristol City, the goals are on there :)

Saw the Leicester goals but not the Donnie one. :noexpression:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/default.stm

Bookmarked it now, thanks.

Not looking forward to 1 deg C on Sat. Any advice? I can take a Thermos of coffee, but haven't had a hot water bottle for years. :colder:

One thing missed in the debate I think is McIndoes diagonal runs from left to right.

He often runned with the ball from defence something we now very much are missing.

I would like to se some pedigree on left hand side of midfield and I believe our scouting owns us just that.

I slightly agree, he was my favourite player for 2 seasons, and then just before he left I realised he didn't really have the pace any more and was running to the half way line, then turning round and passing back ..... POINTLESS! We need someone young, and pacey, someone like Scott Sinclair! WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF HIM BEFORE!! Who is he playing for now?

I slightly agree, he was my favourite player for 2 seasons, and then just before he left I realised he didn't really have the pace any more and was running to the half way line, then turning round and passing back ..... POINTLESS! We need someone young, and pacey, someone like Scott Sinclair! WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF HIM BEFORE!! Who is he playing for now?

Wigan on loan for the season. Wallace from Preston would be ideal, not very likely though, halmosi is a much more realistic shout.

Archived