IGNORED

Former Player Hangs Up His Boots

foghornred

I really rated Ivan when he was here, one of my favourite players during my first season of having a season ticket at the gate. Good, honest man who clearly loved the game and I'm sure still has a lot to give in a coaching role. I'd welcome him back if he'd ever like to have a shot at coaching here in the future.

Did us fans really know him as 'Iron Man' ? Thought he was plain Ivan.

Can't remember Ivan being known as "Iron Man", maybe the journalist is getting "Tinman" confused???

Anyhow, I thought a lot of our fans referred to him as Teste, even though I thought the proper spelling of his name was spelt Tistitimanu.

Ivan was a good player, got injured badly at WBA if I remember correctly, was never the same after that

That's right in the 2-2 draw up there in 1999, the infamous 7 minute stoppage time equaliser that pretty much suggested we would be relegated that season.

Can't remember Ivan being known as "Iron Man", maybe the journalist is getting "Tinman" confused???

Anyhow, I thought a lot of our fans referred to him as Teste, even though I thought the proper spelling of his name was spelt Tistitimanu.

Thought that was QPR?

In my relative short time of supporting City compared to some he has been my favorite player, I even named my cat after him. I just admired the fact taht he wasn't afraid to get stuck in. As a 13/14 year old I remember sneaking up to Oxford on teh train to see him make his comeback.

• Admin
That's right in the 2-2 draw up there in 1999, the infamous 7 minute stoppage time equaliser that pretty much suggested we would be relegated that season.

IIRC Mickey Bell suffered a broken leg, as well as Ivans cruciate injury, whilst there was a reasonable amount of stoppage due, the ref seemed determind to play until Hughes scored his second. I think we all knew, as we left the The Hawthorns, that that game had finished our chance of staying up.

Peter Walton was the Ref, he was awful that day, but he's still going in the Premier league.

Before the last game of the season (Home to Preston) I asked Ivan for his shirt.

He said I could have it after the game and true to his word, handed it to me through the dressing room window.

I still have it.

Also - Moments later, Brett Angel (making a call on his mobile) outside the dressing rooms told me that Rovers

had lost to Cardiff and missed out on the playoffs!!!

IIRC Mickey Bell suffered a broken leg, as well as Ivans cruciate injury, whilst there was a reasonable amount of stoppage due, the ref seemed determind to play until Hughes scored his second. I think we all knew, as we left the The Hawthorns, that that game had finished our chance of staying up.

Peter Walton was the Ref, he was awful that day, but he's still going in the Premier league.

Wasn't that the game where there were no Stewards/ Police and it all kicked off at half time and spilled onto the pitch which meant the second half was delayed ???

Thought that was QPR?

Oh no my good friend, we were shafted many a time that season, including QPR.

QPR was the first away game that season, and after only only scraping a 2-2 draw at to home Oxford (who were mant pundits choose for the drop that season) in the first home game, the writing was well and truly on the wall.

Did us fans really know him as 'Iron Man' ? Thought he was plain Ivan.

'Iron Testicles' as I recall! Although whether that was a universal nickname for him I don't know.

He was a brilliant player who sadly wasn't the same after his injury. I met him once at a pre-season game at Clevedon and he was a very nice chap. The game could do with more like him.

QPR was the first away game that season, and after only only scraping a 2-2 draw at to home Oxford (who were mant pundits choose for the drop that season) in the first home game, the writing was well and truly on the wall.

QPR was a Thursday night game if I remember - thanks to another failed TV company's idea for Second tier football coverage?

I was in the upper tier for that one and I recall Bambi hitting the bar from 8yrds out with goal gaping for him and time running out!

Could have been oh so different that season if we had taken some of the chances we made in crucial games....hope thats not a comparison to this one come May! :noexpression:

QPR was a Thursday night game if I remember - thanks to another failed TV company's idea for Second tier football coverage?

I was in the upper tier for that one and I recall Bambi hitting the bar from 8yrds out with goal gaping for him and time running out!

Could have been oh so different that season if we had taken some of the chances we made in crucial games....hope thats not a comparison to this one come May! :noexpression:

I think the Thursday night game was a different season when we were back in Division 2 and it ended up 0-0 with Shittu geting a red card for them.

Christ yeah, I'd forgotten that Bell broke his leg that day, I have to say when I look back 10 years to that season although we were relegated it is certainly one I'll never forget, I managed to attend all home and most away games that year and always believed that we were very unlucky that year despite the cock ups made off the pitch.

Still 10 years on and we are back as 3rd year students of the 2nd tier, long may it continue

I don't think Ivan had a fancy car as he was always to be seen walking up and down Winterstoke Road. He had a very glamorous concert pianist for a wife. He features in the book "Playing the Moldovans At Tennis" a true very funny book about a bet over whether an average tennis player can beat the entire Moldoban International football team at tennis. He was a character.

I don't think Ivan had a fancy car as he was always to be seen walking up and down Winterstoke Road. He had a very glamorous concert pianist for a wife. He features in the book "Playing the Moldovans At Tennis" a true very funny book about a bet over whether an average tennis player can beat the entire Moldoban International football team at tennis. He was a character.

:city: Yes read that book on holiday and have to say it is funny and interesting how well the team took it on.

Great signing great tackler.Also great shame at WBA both for him and us.And what a heartbreaking season that was so much bad luck.I am sujre it was that season at AG that Birmongham were given a ridiculous penalty that even their players were surprised at .when we were leading and I think we then lost.And that arsehole Trevor Francis hit a steward as he walked off

Archived