IGNORED

Haynes

1tib

This is the #1 puzzle for me.

Haynes is our only reliable width provider ie pace, dribbling and crossing ability.

At the moment, I believe he should be starting every game. Great guy too so I can't imagine he got lippy. Was on the bench so at least partly fit.

Did the plan involve using Orr and McAllister to cross instead of Haynes? Doesn't make sense.

Why wasn't he used?

Lack of width, Haynes could have given us that!

There's been a lot of calls for Clarkson to be given a go - it's difficult criticise GJ for that although Clarkson didn't improve his chances much on what was an average display, more to come though.

After picking Ivan twice in a row we keep our quickest available attacker on the bench - don't understand that one. Particularly as we were getting battered. Haynes would have been a good outlet on the break.

Haynes is our only reliable width provider ie pace, dribbling and crossing ability.

At the moment, I believe he should be starting every game. Great guy too so I can't imagine he got lippy. Was on the bench so at least partly fit.

Did the plan involve using Orr and McAllister to cross instead of Haynes? Doesn't make sense.

That was the theory, with Orr and McAllister to move further up the pitch and provide service the forwards. This clearly did not work as the reality was a flat back fine and a surrender in terms of field posistion to Reading as City for long periods soacked up wave after wave of Reading attacks as each long ball clearence came straight back. The most worrying aspect of this was not the manager played this way....but the fact after 30-40 mins when City were clearly struggling with the formation he appeared to do nothing to change the formation other to be even more negitive by bring Clarkson further back....so we ended the first half more or less 5-4-1....madness!!!!!

Indeed the plan was to use Orr and Macca as wing backs to get forward and put crosses in, GJ stated this pre-match on radio old people. The two players in question aren't wing backs, and Bradley, in the second half didn't seem to know whether to push on or sit back and the space left behind him was regularly exploited by Reading. Haynes should have come on in the second half and we could have reverted to 442.

There's been a lot of calls for Clarkson to be given a go - it's difficult criticise GJ for that although Clarkson didn't improve his chances much on what was an average display, more to come though.

After picking Ivan twice in a row we keep our quickest available attacker on the bench - don't understand that one. Particularly as we were getting battered. Haynes would have been a good outlet on the break.

Strongly disagree, Clarkson was the catalyst for the few moments of inspiration from a Red shirt yesterday, it was his clever through ball that set Maynard away for the penatly and was part of a brief spell of pressure in the 2nd half before being taken off. Haynes should have played but in my view wide right in a 4-4-2 with Jamie MACallister being a make shift left midfielder with Fontain moving to left back as he has done in the past. Elillott and Hartley completing the formation in the centre of midfield.

Strongly disagree, Clarkson was the catalyst for the few moments of inspation from a Red shirt yesterday, it was his clever through ball that set Maynard away for the penatly and was part of a brief spell of pressure in the 2nd half before being taken off. Haynes should have played but in my view wide right in a 4-4-2 with Jamie MACallister being a make shift left midfielder with Fontain moving to left back as he has done in the past. Elillott and Hartley completing the formation in the centre of midfield.

Orr, McCallister are nowhere near good enough to play this formation. You have to have top top payers in key positions to make this formation work.

I reckon even england would struggle with Johnson and Cole doing it.

Also Fontaine and Nyatanga looked awful in that back 5 yesterday....

442... And why not try Haynes as a winger, right or left. I think he carries the ball well and cant be worse crossing than anyone else ?

Sproule is not good enough for the championship (but credit for that goal) but at least he IS a winger... round holes/pegs and all that !! - But in his absence why not play him there.

Also Sno is so left footed... why not play him on the left ?

So for Boxing day how about

Girkin

Orr Carey Fontaine McCallister

Haynes Hartley Skuse Sno

Clarkson Maynard

Subs

Henderson

Williams

Elliott

Nyatanga

Soborio

Riberio (get him back and have some challenge for our FB's)

Johnson

And as a late xmas pressie in Jan, can we buy a winger... or 2 ??

Strongly disagree, Clarkson was the catalyst for the few moments of inspiration from a Red shirt yesterday, it was his clever through ball that set Maynard away for the penatly and was part of a brief spell of pressure in the 2nd half before being taken off. Haynes should have played but in my view wide right in a 4-4-2 with Jamie MACallister being a make shift left midfielder with Fontain moving to left back as he has done in the past. Elillott and Hartley completing the formation in the centre of midfield.

Skuse on the bench?

If Clarkson was doing so well why was he taken off? He certainly didn't have an attempt on goal. I'm not against the guy - GJ doesn't seem to know where to play him and has hardly played him from the bench so he hasn't had many chances to settle.

Skuse on the bench?

If Clarkson was doing so well why was he taken off? He certainly didn't have an attempt on goal. I'm not against the guy - GJ doesn't seem to know where to play him and has hardly played him from the bench so he hasn't had many chances to settle.

Fair point you are right...of course Skuse would be in, my mistake. I really cant give you a reason as to why Clarkson was taken off...I suspect the ususal he's not fit would be given as the all to familiar stock answer. Nevertheless I was truley baffled

With regards attemps on goal how many did the team have???? Its not down to Clarkson, if Maynard doesnt score from 25-30 yeards he doesnt score. His best effort was in the first half a good 25 yards out. Tactics and formations are the problem.

Haynes has low impact when he moves alongside Maynard. He has high impact when running at slow/nervous defenders.

Sno is very much right-footed tho his left isn't terrible. Given our lack of left sided players, and McAllister's mediocre delivery, I don't think we have a choice but to revert back to 4-3-3 with Sno inside left or loan someone.

Ribeiro might be able to play wing-back at the cost of dropping Orr.

What I don't get is why GJ et al thought this plan would work. I understand they're trying to shake things up but you've got to have options going forward. This has been the weakest part of our game since... well a long time.

Is it possible Orr and McAllister are amazing crossers in training only? :blink:

Skuse on the bench?

Because he needs a run of games before he can last 95 mins.

He played well, linked up the mid and attack and looked to play in Maynard...something that doesnt happen with DH and NM up front.

A definate starter for next home game for me in this.....

Gerkin

Orr Carey Nyatanga Fontaine

Haynes Skuse Hartley McAllister

Clarkson Maynard

Time to go balls out and play people who can play wide, and stay wide...and not flood the midfield!

Not seen as much of us this season as many others on here, but i do wonder what the obsession with Haynes is? He works very hard and his pace is frightening, but he's got a poor goal scoring record and doesn't seem to offer anything more than hard work; the exact same criticism many level at GJ's City teams of recent months (hard work and no creativity). I think Saborio would give us a better balance and i think he's scored as many goals as DH while only playing about a third as many games

I'd play

Gerken

Orr Carey Fontaine Macca

Hartley Skuse Sno

Clarkson

Saborio Maynard

, but i do wonder what the obsession with Haynes is? He works very hard and his pace is frightening, but he's got a poor goal scoring record and any goals as DH while only playing about a third as many games

Because he looks like he wants to do well!

We need his pace

, but i do wonder what the obsession with Haynes is? He works very hard and his pace is frightening, but he's got a poor goal scoring record and any goals as DH while only playing about a third as many games

Because he looks like he wants to do well!

We need his pace

Yeah but i don't doubt Clarkson, Maynard or Saborio's desire to win and play well. Just think that Haynes' lack of productivity is the metaphorical elephant on the team sheet....

Not seen as much of us this season as many others on here, but i do wonder what the obsession with Haynes is?

He's scored a couple, hit the post twice last week. I really think he's a poor man's Maynard when playing up front but running at defenders, he really does frighten them.

He can cross the ball fairly consistently, plays nice 1-2s and if he and Maynard ever get on the same wavelength I think we'll have a nice partnership.

It occurs to me that Saborio has an OK left foot. Hartley too.

Deckchairs on the Titanic stuff. Up front and in central midfield we have numerous OK players, but lack ones who can go wide, get to the line and put in dangerous crosses. Up front we lack a player who can hold the ball. Juggle it how you like, Maynard needs service, Haynes has pace but is like a headless chicken, Clarkson tries, but did never looked like forging a partnership with Maynard, ditto Saborio. In midfield, you need Skuse and Hartley in the middle, you can muck around with the rest, but won't come up with a decent balance and shape.

hi all just spotted stat thing on guardian website, go to football then football league then city, cant post link as rubbish at technology. Interesting but worrying reading. Maynard 1926 mins 9 goals, Clarkson 379 1 goal Saborio 758 2 goals, and Haynes 1229 3 goals. I know there only numbers but still. Also this time last year we were 15th and average goal time conceded at home 76 mins :(

Guest bigcheese
...I really think he's a poor man's Maynard when playing up front but running at defenders, he really does frighten them...

Definitely, would love to see him again running at defenders from the rhs etc rather than getting stuck in the mix up front

like Maynard as the times I have seen him play this the defence just can't cope with the pace and great on the break etc.

Could always sub him rather than Saborio for Clarkson etc? Options are there anyway.

I'd play

Gerken

Orr Carey Fontaine Macca

Hartley Skuse Sno

Clarkson

Saborio Maynard

Why Saborio? And why no width?

Saborio hasn't shown much for us yet, maybe its the delivery he gets, maybe he doesn't fit in, I don't know. But I would rather play Haynes as he is much quicker and is showing more every game, I mean he hit the post twice against Ipswich and then gets dropped?!

I would have

................Gerken

Orr...Carey...Fontaine...McAllister

................Hartley

Skuse/Elliott...................Sno

......Haynes.......Clarkson

...............Maynard

Sorry about the dots - wouldn't let me show the formation otherwise

For me we need to give him a crack on right wing

yeah he might prefer playing up front but if its a choice between right wing or the bench i bet i know which one he will pick

Lets get him playing wide right and running at defenders. Sproule can provide like for like cover when hes out without changing formation.

Granted his forward thinking may leave defensive holes, but Orr would be able to sit back more, and also a centre mid pairing of Skuse and Hartley would both sit more so could provide cover.

I would def be looking to play 442

---------------------------------Gerken ----------------------------------

---------Orr ------------Carey ---------Fonts -------McCallister--------

-----Haynes -----------Skuse ---------Hartley ----NEW WINGER -----

-----------------------Maynard ---- Saborio/Clarkson------------------

Most of the attacking impetus would be down the flanks with the two centre mids sitting more

Until we sign new left winger we would have to either push mcallister up there (with lewin/fonts replacing him at LB), or go with Sno/Williams who although not natural could prob do a job albeit coming infield rather than working the line.

Also if we play this formation we have good quality competition for nearly all spots

Archived