IGNORED

Set Pieces

shepton red

Why are we so poor at the execution of set pieces? Yesterday was a prime example, free kick at the LH side of the box, losing 2-0, and instead of someone just having a pop at goal we try and float it in, just to see the QPR defenders make an easy clearance. At corners we don't seem to be able to beat the first man or push it too far the other way. What does Millen teach them all week, apart from the famous hoax kick, then everyone runs back in for Louis to head the ball in the back of the net. It has worked twice, but people are now wise to this routine.

I am definateley not in the replace manager camp, but do not think Millen is good enough. Time to get a new coach in?

Why are we so poor at the execution of set pieces? Yesterday was a prime example, free kick at the LH side of the box, losing 2-0, and instead of someone just having a pop at goal we try and float it in, just to see the QPR defenders make an easy clearance. At corners we don't seem to be able to beat the first man or push it too far the other way. What does Millen teach them all week, apart from the famous hoax kick, then everyone runs back in for Louis to head the ball in the back of the net. It has worked twice, but people are now wise to this routine.

I am definateley not in the replace manager camp, but do not think Millen is good enough. Time to get a new coach in?

Hartley doesn't need coaching to take free kicks, just let him decide what to do and get on with it. It's hard to believe he floats it in LJ style by choice.

The majority of our corners and free kicks are substandard and of little or no advantage to us.

When GJ does eventually leave AG hopefully Millen will accompany him on the same day.

Look at the determination that Steven Gerrard had to get to that header yesterday, we could do with some of that at set pieces, we are wussies, nobody ATTACKS the ball.

It is baffling how we don't get a sense of danger from set pieces. I think BCAGFC makes a good point in that the players should attack the ball more. But then I can't think of the last time I saw a bullet header in any context from a City player. We just don't seem to be that good in the air.

We are very good at fooling our own attackers with are set-pieces,twice yesterday we had them in promising positions only for the kick taker(Jamie Mac was one) to clear the lot of them and watch the ball drift harmlessly out the far side for a throw/goal kick.

I seem to recall Steve Phillips was the same with his goal-kicks, he'd signal for the players to move left then launch the ball convieniantly down the right :disapointed2se:

I pointed out at the end of last seaon that if we had scored from as many corners and free kicks as we conceded from we would have easily made the play offs - simple as that. Makes it difficult to win matches when the opposition is able to score from set pieces but we seldom do.

I think KM is probably more involved in defensive coaching isn't he? You can make your own mind up about how well that's going at the moment!! Having said that, I seriously doubt that KM told McCombe to pass the ball to a striker instead of hitting row z as per usual, or whispered to Louis to put the ball in his own net rather than well, basically, anywhere else! Individual mistakes are not coaching errors are they.

The reason I think we are so ineffective at dead balls is that the players take up positions too early. Whatever happened to the 'watch the flight of the ball and arrive late' school of attacking corners / free kicks - ala Taylor? Seems that GJ and KM just dont favour this approach - even when, god forbid, McCombe is playing.

One freekick in front of us after about 80 mins yesterday was interesting.

You had McAllister behind the ball waving at the players to push in more central closer together.

Beside him Hartley was gesturing to the players to spread further out wide.

Maybe it was deliberate, but our lads looked as confused as the Rangers defenders.

It is baffling how we don't get a sense of danger from set pieces. I think BCAGFC makes a good point in that the players should attack the ball more. But then I can't think of the last time I saw a bullet header in any context from a City player. We just don't seem to be that good in the air.

Really gets my goat these poxy flick headers that end up more of a back pass, Alan Walsh in his day was a class apart from what we have to endure today the step over Walshey shuffle cutting in and a thunder bolt shot low and on target.John Galley could head the ball like a volley shot smack on the forehead .Paul Cheesley was good in the air with direction and power,a lot of our free kicks are no threat crossed in and straight down the keepers throat or drift over every ones head or with a slight brush with no power if your lucky. As my dad use to say what the hell do they do in training all week,a change in coaching methods looks urgently needed a lot of free kicks seem to end up with bogus run ups and spins before a hopeful dink .

Thought I would bring this back to top of the list because today, Hartley's free kick goal was absolute class. There was another late in the game which just missed the post. Coupled with his goal against WBA a few weeks ago, I think our dead ball options have increased greatly sinced he bearded one signed.

Thought I would bring this back to top of the list because today, Hartley's free kick goal was absolute class. There was another late in the game which just missed the post. Coupled with his goal against WBA a few weeks ago, I think our dead ball options have increased greatly sinced he bearded one signed.

Absolutely great free kick, hopefully we can get some consistency in this dept.

Too right, in addition to the 2 cracking free kicks he's scored so far, he put the ball in a perfect area for Louis to score against Sheff U as well, this is definitely one thing that has improved this season.

To much snow on the flakes fading in.

Hartley can take a corner but he is the only on.

Go to children hospitals instead and understand just how fortune you are. Practising is just a waste of time.

If you can't vistit a childrens hospital - please help a fellow City fan delivering the morning paper. I'm confident you can make it.

Archived