IGNORED

Perfect Time To Bring In The Youngsters

Tenyards

I don't subscribe to the theory that we will be sucked into a relegation tussle - mainly because we keep picking up points and we already have 32 points on the board so basically only need 13 more to stay up. Only the greatest optimist could see us finishing in the top two and although a very good run could squeeze us into the playoffs we are showing few signs of doing that with the current team.

So isn't it the perfect time to bring in a few young playesr who have been "knocking at the door" for so long to see what they can do. If Artus, Plummer, Kington etc are going to play at Championship level they need to get games uner their belt. If they are not good enough to play out the last 10 minutes against Watford then we shouldn't have them on the books.

We are currently a mid-table side and I'd like to see at least one of the young players get a run each week. OK if we can buy some goood playeres in the transfer window lets get them in but I'm old enough to remember a young player called Gerry Gow playing his first game and he looked rubbish - turned out to be one of our best ever players. Rob Newman was thrown in at the deep end at a young age and again due to gasining experience became a fantastic asset to the club. Young players don't learn or show their worth playing reserve football or warming the bench. Get them on the pitch...let them taste the atmosphere of a Championship game, get some kicks and some abuse from the crowd and they will be the players that take us into the Premier League...a far better investment than some journeyman who is out of favour at some other Championship club.

I don't subscribe to the theory that we will be sucked into a relegation tussle - mainly because we keep picking up points and we already have 32 points on the board so basically only need 13 more to stay up. Only the greatest optimist could see us finishing in the top two and although a very good run could squeeze us into the playoffs we are showing few signs of doing that with the current team.

So isn't it the perfect time to bring in a few young playesr who have been "knocking at the door" for so long to see what they can do. If Artus, Plummer, Kington etc are going to play at Championship level they need to get games uner their belt. If they are not good enough to play out the last 10 minutes against Watford then we shouldn't have them on the books.

We are currently a mid-table side and I'd like to see at least one of the young players get a run each week. OK if we can buy some goood playeres in the transfer window lets get them in but I'm old enough to remember a young player called Gerry Gow playing his first game and he looked rubbish - turned out to be one of our best ever players. Rob Newman was thrown in at the deep end at a young age and again due to gasining experience became a fantastic asset to the club. Young players don't learn or show their worth playing reserve football or warming the bench. Get them on the pitch...let them taste the atmosphere of a Championship game, get some kicks and some abuse from the crowd and they will be the players that take us into the Premier League...a far better investment than some journeyman who is out of favour at some other Championship club.

When do you only need 45 points to stay up? You normally need about 50 or 51. We still need about 6 wins which is a bit worrying so I wouldn't be playing the kids and GJ certainly won't.

Giving the youngsters a chance is one of the problems i have with Johnsons reign. He simply DOESN'T.

If we had 2 or 3 youngsters in it would galvanise everyone behind them. However to contridict myself this probably isn't the time for youngsters to be thrown to the dogs, but i would like to see some progression being encouraged cos, frankly there is little hope that we will see the young 'uns coming through under the current regime.

Also I'd like to give a little shout out to Elliot Benyon who i thought would be a good little goalscorer when he was in our ressies and who has progressed well at Torquay... no guarentees he would have done it here i know.

The only argument I could see against this was that introducing young players while supporters are so hungry for success could destroy there confidence if they did something wrong.

The perfect time was at the end of last season but I guess the performance bonuses had to be paid out.

Anything else would have been very disrespectful to the guys who has taken us where we are.

Giving the youngsters a chance is one of the problems i have with Johnsons reign. He simply DOESN'T.

If we had 2 or 3 youngsters in it would galvanise everyone behind them. However to contridict myself this probably isn't the time for youngsters to be thrown to the dogs, but i would like to see some progression being encouraged cos, frankly there is little hope that we will see the young 'uns coming through under the current regime.

Also I'd like to give a little shout out to Elliot Benyon who i thought would be a good little goalscorer when he was in our ressies and who has progressed well at Torquay... no guarentees he would have done it here i know.

I think when you are mid-table is precisely the time to throw youngsters in. If we were pushing for the top I would agree that you don't want to change a good team or risk an inexperienced player - same if you are in a relegation fight. The whole point is that we are NOT in either oif these situations and this is a great season for allowing young players to get some games under their belt and mid season is a great time to do it. The best scenario is we uncover a little gem who pushes us to the plkayoffs. The worst is the draws start turning to defeats and we have to bring in the experienced players again to ensure we stay up. I may have got my maths wrong in the first post and 55 points is the target so. In that case Peterborough have to get 37 points from 22 matches when they have only managed 18 from 24 so far; Sheff Weds have to get 356 from 23 matches when they have only managed 19 from 23 and Plymouth have to get 34 from 23 matches when they have only managed 21 to date.

We have players like Marlon Jackson, Frankie Artus, Joe Edwards and Tristan Plummer who are talked about...let'sd see whether they can cut the mustard at the level required. I'm not suggesting putting them all in at once just one in for a game - or a decent run as sub so they can learn from the senior pros. We might also get some fresh ideas and players who will "surprise" opponents who won't know anything about them.

I think when you are mid-table is precisely the time to throw youngsters in. If we were pushing for the top I would agree that you don't want to change a good team or risk an inexperienced player - same if you are in a relegation fight. The whole point is that we are NOT in either oif these situations and this is a great season for allowing young players to get some games under their belt and mid season is a great time to do it. The best scenario is we uncover a little gem who pushes us to the plkayoffs. The worst is the draws start turning to defeats and we have to bring in the experienced players again to ensure we stay up. I may have got my maths wrong in the first post and 55 points is the target so. In that case Peterborough have to get 37 points from 22 matches when they have only managed 18 from 24 so far; Sheff Weds have to get 356 from 23 matches when they have only managed 19 from 23 and Plymouth have to get 34 from 23 matches when they have only managed 21 to date.

We aren't even in to January yet and this league is VERY competitive. I'm all for blooding in the youngsters but now is too early. If GJ did this now and it didn't work, the majority of fans would want him sacked and rightly so.

We aren't even in to January yet and this league is VERY competitive. I'm all for blooding in the youngsters but now is too early. If GJ did this now and it didn't work, the majority of fans would want him sacked and rightly so.

i dont really agree - the fact is, we are not good enough to go up, and Lansdown puts too much money in for us to go down

i live abroad and sadly cannot get to the Q&A sessions but i would really love to hear Johnson answer a question along the lines of exactlz how it helps this club to play Stern John and Andy Webster etc in a season where we are not going to go up, rather than give experience to our younger players who are good enough to be playing in the same crop as Aaron Ramsey in the Wales youth set-up. i am no manager, but that one baffles me, it really does

throw money at Styvar and Trundle etc etc then bump them out on loan, but the thought of giving youth a chance is unthinkable...i am beyond GJ, but that is one area where i do not understand him at all

i dont really agree - the fact is, we are not good enough to go up, and Lansdown puts too much money in for us to go down

i live abroad and sadly cannot get to the Q&A sessions but i would really love to hear Johnson answer a question along the lines of exactlz how it helps this club to play Stern John and Andy Webster etc in a season where we are not going to go up, rather than give experience to our younger players who are good enough to be playing in the same crop as Aaron Ramsey in the Wales youth set-up. i am no manager, but that one baffles me, it really does

throw money at Styvar and Trundle etc etc then bump them out on loan, but the thought of giving youth a chance is unthinkable...i am beyond GJ, but that is one area where i do not understand him at all

I agree with that. With regards to this season, i haven't been impressed with Saborio since i saw him at Coventry on his debut and although we probably can't send him back due to it being a season long loan, i would much prefer to see Akinde being given games and the same goes for Wilson and Ribiero.

We have players like Marlon Jackson, Frankie Artus, Joe Edwards and Tristan Plummer who are talked about...let'sd see whether they can cut the mustard at the level required. I'm not suggesting putting them all in at once just one in for a game - or a decent run as sub so they can learn from the senior pros. We might also get some fresh ideas and players who will "surprise" opponents who won't know anything about them.

I agree to a point - not sure Artus is the answer midfield when Hartley, Sno and Skuse are available but Ribeiro should be given some more first team experience and Akinde I believe is a better option than Saborio. Once we get to the 50 point mark, I would like to see much more though with the youngsters coming through but until then, the best starting XI it needs to be.

I went to watch Torquay on Boxing Day as I was staying nearby for Christmas. Elliott started and I watched him quite closely. Worked hard, some good movement, but I didn't see anything to suggest he'd be able to make an impression against better defenders. He's quickish but not lightning quick, and his lack of size would cause him problems, as it did once or twice against some hefty Hereford defenders.

I think it's always difficult to tell whether young players will cut it in the first team. Obviously the only way to find out is to play them, but I can't think of many of the youngsters we've let go who have gone on to make it into a Championship side. Maybe if they'd been given a few games they'd have shown the ability to step up - but maybe not, and if they haven't done it elsewhere, there's no proof that the managment has got it wrong by not giving them the chance.

i would much rather see akinde come on when we are trying to hold on to a one goal lead than soborio, but johnson always trys to justify his bad signings by playing them again and again in the hope thy get better, rather than realising after afew games that they are crap, like everyone else.

brian wison, kevin betsy, andy webster, stern john , soborio, izzy irikpen, nick carle, andre blackman, styvar to name but afew were/are all bad signings that could have been replaced by a few youngsters, i.e wilson, riberio, plummer, artus, akinde most of whom coudnt have done any worse than that lot, but johnson seems that rather than give them ago, he would rather persist with players that are not good enough, simply because of age, experience and reputation.

Archived