IGNORED

Davd Forde

jfkerton

Just saw this on MirrorFootball.

In my opinion it would be a waste of money to buy another keeper, seeing as we have cover for deano with Henderson.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Sheff...icle273171.html

We need an experienced keeper. No way would we have conceded so many late goals this season if Basso had been in the team, commanding the area.

Whether this bloke is the answer, I have no idea.

We need an experienced keeper. No way would we have conceded so many late goals this season if Basso had been in the team, commanding the area.

When did basso ever command his area? He was only remotley better than Phillips at commanding his area!

When did basso ever command his area? He was only remotley better than Phillips at commanding his area!

His defence knew what he was going to do, communication, commanding, experience, organising or just a good keeper, call it what you want. Our defence is worse without him.

His defence knew what he was going to do, communication, commanding, experience, organising or just a good keeper, call it what you want. Our defence is worse without him.

sorry but i'm going to have to disagree with you, dean gerken has saved us on numerous times this season so quit blaming him, i'm not saying basso wouldn't have saved us but the question lies there.. remember cardiff last season? basso's shocking mistake? preston last season again? gerken has made ONE notable mistake all season, barnsley away and we still won.

you CAN'T blame gerken for the late goals, remember all the late goals last season, QPR, birmingham, preston, cardiff, are you blaming basso for those goals? either way you've contradicted yourself.

sorry but i'm going to have to disagree with you, dean gerken has saved us on numerous times this season so quit blaming him, i'm not saying basso wouldn't have saved us but the question lies there.. remember cardiff last season? basso's shocking mistake? preston last season again? gerken has made ONE notable mistake all season, barnsley away and we still won.

you CAN'T blame gerken for the late goals, remember all the late goals last season, QPR, birmingham, preston, cardiff, are you blaming basso for those goals? either way you've contradicted yourself.

Come on, Basso had an aura about him, he is a better keeper, probably due to his experience in many ways. Gerken is young, going back to the thread, we do need another keeper, an experienced one.

One thing with Basso in the team, is you can guarantee that with only a minute to go. he'd fall down with a broken leg if the opposition got so much as an inch near him. This would then eat up time and disrupt the opposition momentum!

We do need to get a bit sly-er in the dying minutes ie. Go down injured, hold the ball in the corners, whack the ball into row z. We also need a target man who can actually hold the ball long enough, so that our supporting midfielders can push up also.

Those who feel Gerken are responsible for our last minute goals are fools. He has done enough to merit his spot in the team on home performances alone.

Basso was never that good at commanding his area and actually worried me as much as Phillips if a long looping cross was played in because no one in the ground had any idea what he was going to do be it catch, punch or fall over feigning injury for that matter. His kicking also put us under pressure a number of times. Though in general he was a far better keeper than Phillips.

If we bring another keeper in I should think it will be cover for the two already here with Basso on his merry way.

Those who feel Gerken are responsible for our last minute goals are fools. He has done enough to merit his spot in the team on home performances alone.

Gerken deserves his place and is not at fault for the late goals.

BUT when basso was in goal, the opposition did usually get a chance in the last few minutes - but basso would usually pull off a amazing save. time after time.

I'm sure Basso influenced the defence too. Is the defence missing him? Did basso do alot more organising of the defence than we give him credit for? who knows?

No way would we have conceded so many late goals this season if Basso had been in the team, commanding the area.

I agree with this bit and the stats show it (goals conceeded with Basso about half those with Gerken). Gerken's a great stopper and has reasonable distribution but many of our conceeded goals have come from a disorganised defence.

Also know what you mean about his aura. 'Believing' is something else we've missed a lot this season.

Mind you, I think Gerken is a decent Championship keeper and Basso was really Premier League quality.

Gerken deserves his place and is not at fault for the late goals.

BUT when basso was in goal, the opposition did usually get a chance in the last few minutes - but basso would usually pull off a amazing save. time after time.

I'm sure Basso influenced the defence too. Is the defence missing him? Did basso do alot more organising of the defence than we give him credit for? who knows?

Hard to say really but I can't say I ever heard Basso shouting. Yet I hear Gerken quite a lot and people say he isn't vocal enough?

It's strange. One minute Orr is shouting his head off at Gerken for skewing a clearnance from Orr's poor back pass and the next he's all over him for the double save.

And we can't exactly say Gerken hasnt made his fair share of breath taking saves this season.

I'm starting to think that perhaps it was Basso's mentality that helped. After all he started all the always believe crap and that coincided with our best two seasons (promotion and play off final) for years. If we are to believe the whole saga has been a long ongoing affair then this could explain the teams lack of confidence. Not in the keeper behind them but more in the fact that the positive mentality they used to have is gone.

Gerken is a great shot-stopper, but pushes the ball back into the danger area too often, and is horribly line-bound. First game of the season, he was not commanding, so Preston could keep pumping the ball into the box, knowing he would not challenge. With no commanding centre-back, I am not sure that we can really afford a keeper who does not command the box.

Personally, I think we should be looking at Henderson, on the few occasions he has played, he has looked the part.

One thing I will say, is that the defence last season were not only more organised, but they seemed to just defend better in general. Whether this had anything to do with Basso, I don't know. But Gerken has not had as good a defence in front of him as Basso has had in previous seasons, and anyone that doubts Gerken's shot-stopping is a fool.

I really do wonder what football planet some City fans are on. You are having a laugh. Gerkin spills 2 , flaps at another couple and nothing is said. GJ rated Basso very highly becuase he did things that only the very best do. He did have a wobble at the start with his kicking, but is a far superior keeper to Gerkin. If we are after another keeper, that tells you all. Gerkin has not given the rock solid confidence to the defence. Gerkin is about Phillips level and has no command of the area. Speak to a goalkeeping coach or something because you clealry have no idea.

Like the plethora of clubs that have been lining up to sign such a quality keeper as Basso ? i.e 0 if he was as good as that someone would have come in for him by now, but we have had 0 offers and 0 enquiries about him so that says it all to me.

The fact that we are after a keeper means very little, apart from the fact that Johnson likes to have 3 keepers, and it's plainly obvious that he has absolutely no intention of having Basso around the squad, he's been dropped back to third choice and this shows johnson doesn't even want him as that.

Basso is a decent keeper and but no better than Gerken, he made countless errors that he got away with in our first season in this division, and in the second he got caught far more often, Cardiff and Wolves to name but 2 complete howlers from last season.

The reason our defence is disorganised is because it's completely unsettled, we would have conceded less late goals and been organised if we had been playing a constant system with McCombe and Nyatanga at CB for the whole season so far, despite them being probably our weakest 2 first choice centre backs. With a defence it's more important than any other position to maintained a settled back 4/5 we have been chopping and changing all season due to injury, illness or just johnson tinkering, thats why the defence is so disorganised.

Last season Basso had to make more saves than any other keeper in this league, that shows just how bad our defence was last season, it's got absolutely nothing to do with Basso or Gerken it's the fact that our defence doesn't close down balls quick enough and often make poor decisions, especially Orr and McAllister when showing wingers inside and allowing them room to work in. Our defence is the problem not Gerken or Basso, i'd be more than happy with either in goal, but i'm more than worried about the players in front of them.

Archived