IGNORED

Benny Lennartsson

Roadrunner

Just sorting out some old programmes etc. Came across a Gatepost May 1999.

Question session by Benny Lennartsson, is he still in football if so where????

In the same issue, Scott Davidson, David Howells, Soren Andersen, Viilmos Sebok, Ivan Tistimentanu, Gregg Goodridge, Ade Akinbiyi and Matt Hill.

Ten years ago have things changed ?????

Last managed IK Start in 2007 according to wikipedia. (He got them relegated and no, i'm not joking.
Didn't the play Chelsea in the cup winners cup or whatever it was called back then whilst he was manager?

I thought benny did well introducing the kids wasnt it Ben Wright he took on loan to a club he managed in Norway for a season?

Well done Robins. Benny was a great manager who would have built the team around the Academy and had a great track record in this. He was our very own Dario Gradi and we should have kept him for a long long time.

I think that's a bit harsh - it was Scott Davidsons decision to phase out Ward and bring him in and i'm sure he did his best.

It was John Ward's decision to phase out John Ward!! He went public after the hammering at Ipswich and said that he needed help. I seem to remember he wanted Ray Harford who'd just got the push from the only club below us in the league (QPR) but he wouldn't come. So when Benny was appointed JW threw his toys out of the pram and walked!! stating that he didn't want to be a number two to anyone. Within a month he was number 2 at Wolves!!

I always felt that Benny was dropped right in the soft and smelly and did the best he could. He certainly brought youngsters like Jim Brennan and Aaron Brown through. he was employed as Director of Football NOT as a manager!

In the same issue, Scott Davidson, David Howells, Soren Andersen, Viilmos Sebok, Ivan Tistimentanu, Gregg Goodridge, Ade Akinbiyi and Matt Hill.

He is currently assistant manager for GAIS in the Swedish prem. Appointed during the season by a former assistant manager of his, GAIS (a Gothenburg team) suddenly started to win games and Benny got a lot of credit.

As a player he represented Fulham among other teams. As manager for Norweigan Viking FK he had European success.

I remember him saying that the first thing he had to do when appointed in Bristol was to start pre-season training as the players where not properly trained. He introduced training twice a day which was not very popular with the older players used to go golfing. Players having a night out in Birmingham throwing up at training ground etc.

If it wasen't for a very good start the season before we would never have been promoted.

It was John Ward's decision to phase out John Ward!! He went public after the hammering at Ipswich and said that he needed help. I seem to remember he wanted Ray Harford who'd just got the push from the only club below us in the league (QPR) but he wouldn't come. So when Benny was appointed JW threw his toys out of the pram and walked!! stating that he didn't want to be a number two to anyone. Within a month he was number 2 at Wolves!!

I always felt that Benny was dropped right in the soft and smelly and did the best he could. He certainly brought youngsters like Jim Brennan and Aaron Brown through. he was employed as Director of Football NOT as a manager!

Also Carey.

This should help you find out all you want to know.

Benny always was a duff appointment. When he came, the lines of responsibility between him and Ward were very unclear, and it was never going to work with the two of them together. Add to that Davidsons interference in (allegedly) buying Thorpe. With regards to the defence, we had Dyche, subsequently preformed well in the Championship, Watts, offered a contract by a Premier League Club, Carey, plus Shail and Taylor both injured. It might not have been pretty under Ward, but I think we would have survived, instead of lamely going down.

I remember Benny as a lovely guy but completely clueless about English football at this level. Does anyone remember the baseball cap throwing thing when we won?

My abiding memory of Benny was Portsmouth away in about March...we won 1-0. I was in the South Stand which housed the player's tunnel. As the lads were coming off the pitch, I called out to Benny and chucked him my BCFC cap, which, smiling his head off, he tried to throw back and promptly fell flat on his arse in the mud...kind of typified the guy really! It was a great day though, I had a chat with Scott Davidson ahead of the game as he was only a few rows away from me, he was very bubbly and positive and we both actually believed we were staying up after that game!

I was really sad that John Ward wasn't given a real crack at it. He had a great rapport with the fans as well as the squad...I think his leaving really effected their game for some time. Benny's appointment was a mistake but Scott was and remains a true fan and he was just doing what he thought was in the interests of The Club at the time.

Have deleted my comment, and the ones replying to it, to save anyone else getting upset.

Apologies again

Actually Dolly, you might have been nearer the truth than you realize.

About 2 years ago my mate was visiting his son who was living and working in Norway and a village close to where his son lived was called Hell, My mate decided that he would never forgive himself if did'nt go to visit Hell.

He waited on the bus stop and the bus stopped and the bus driver was wearing a Bristol City shirt, my mate could'nt believe his eyes and asked the driver why he was wearing a Bristol City shirt. The guy told him that between 1976 & 1980 our first division period him and a lot of his mates attached themselves to BCFC (from seeing them on match of the day) and still followed us to this day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Norway

And just to add to these names within 5k of where I live is a village (translated) The Village of the Bastards and 20k in the other direction is a village called Purgatory.

Actually Dolly, you might have been nearer the truth than you realize.

About 2 years ago my mate was visiting his son who was living and working in Norway and a village close to where his son lived was called Hell, My mate decided that he would never forgive himself if did'nt go to visit Hell.

He waited on the bus stop and the bus stopped and the bus driver was wearing a Bristol City shirt, my mate could'nt believe his eyes and asked the driver why he was wearing a Bristol City shirt. The guy told him that between 1976 & 1980 our first division period him and a lot of his mates attached themselves to BCFC (from seeing them on match of the day) and still followed us to this day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Norway

And just to add to these names within 5k of where I live is a village (translated) The Village of the Bastards and 20k in the other direction is a village called Purgatory.

I'll find out if this bus driver is any one of the Norweigan fans we know about.

Archived