IGNORED

Today's Observer

GrahamC

Interesting couple of articles, the first showing the Championship table as it would be based on how solvent clubs actually are, we are sadly one of 15 that are classified as technically insolvent, as are from the bottom up;

Blackpool

Middlesboro'

Coventry

Palace

Swansea

Sheffield Wednesday

Peterborough

Cardiff

Doncaster

Leicester

Us

Newcastle

Nottingham Forest and Ipswich, though based on by how much we are still nearly half way up the league!

It is rated out of 100, West Brom and Plymouth are the most financially solvent with scores in the mid 80s, Blackpool and Boro' rated the least with zero, our score is 10/100!

In another article on Prem spending it reveals that Newcastle are paying Geremi (3 starts this season) the same wages as Arsenal, the Prem's most solvent club, are paying Fabregas! £60k a week.......

So not only do we pay and sit through 90 minutes of dull, narrow, defensive crap at the Gate most weeks but the effect of paying management and players top dollar to play it is sending us to the wall again as well - unless Steve Lansdown has a bottomless pit of cash he is willing to invest!!!! According to that table CARDIFF are more solvent than us!! Perhaps the "don't come if you don't like it" brigade (which includes both Gary and Lee Johnson) had better be careful what they wish for.

So not only do we pay and sit through 90 minutes of dull, narrow, defensive crap at the Gate most weeks but the effect of paying management and players top dollar to play it is sending us to the wall again as well - unless Steve Lansdown has a bottomless pit of cash he is willing to invest!!!! According to that table CARDIFF are more solvent than us!! Perhaps the "don't come if you don't like it" brigade (which includes both Gary and Lee Johnson) had better be careful what they wish for.

No, as I stated it is from the bottom up, Cardiff have a worse rating than we do.

Cant find anything on observer website, anyone got linky?

I would be interested to know over what period they are using here for this clame, if its the most recent records then we're gonna look poor with what we spent. But I think we are one of the most secure clubs in the Championship all things considered.

I would be interested to know over what period they are using here for this clame, if its the most recent records then we're gonna look poor with what we spent. But I think we are one of the most secure clubs in the Championship all things considered.

I would agree with you AS LONG AS the Planning Permission for the Stadium goes through. If that gets the kybosh then things would surprise me less if SL got itchy feet and decided to invest his money outside of the Bristol area in something that will make his family money rather than lose it hand over fist in the short to medium term on a project that cannot go much further realistically. Lansdown has ALWAYS maintained that we as a club must be in a position to pay it's own way and that is fair enough to be honest - unfortunately we are nowhere near that scenario yet and I would imagine that the new ground is key to ever getting in that position.

I don't even think we pay top doller for management and players, we just don't earn that much money because we don't have enough support.

I don't even think we pay top doller for management and players, we just don't earn that much money because we don't have enough support.

You may well be right there although we are hardly the lowest spenders in the league to be fair. But whoever is right it reinforces my point that we need all the support we can get and whether those supporters think GJ is God or Anti-Christ is irrelevant!!! The club needs their money even if it upsets a minority of supporters on here that we have people attending who do not toe the party line.

Couldn't find a link. If SL converted all his debt to equity we would shoot up that table anyway.

Interesting find on the Downs League whilst looking:

THE (NOT SO) MYSTERIOUS BRISTOL DOWNS LEAGUE

"A friend recently hit me with the trivia titbit that Bristol are the city represented at the most levels of the English league system, by virtue of something called the Bristol Downs League, that sits below all other regional leagues," wrote David Whale before Christmas. "Can you shed some light on this? I'd also be interested to know what the highest a team from this league has ever risen up the league pyramid."

Wikipedia, that ever-trustworthy source, agrees with your friend, David, but we'll hand this answer over to reader Joe Rowsell:

"I am from Bristol and have played in the Downs League. It is a completely standalone league and not part of the football pyramid at all. It has four divisions which have relegation and promotion within themselves but if you win Division One you are the Downs League champions, there is no promotion into any other league. This is what makes it so unique. Somebody also told me once that is the largest independent standalone league in Europe but I cannot back that up.

"I was doing some research into the pyramid myself a while ago using Wikipedia. It does indeed list the Downs League as the bottom-most part of the football league pyramid, stating that there is promotion into another Bristol league (Bristol & Avon I think it was) but that is rubbish."

So there.

Couldn't find a link. If SL converted all his debt to equity we would shoot up that table anyway.

Interesting find on the Downs League whilst looking:

That is indeed true of the Downs League - Divs 3 and 4 are (I think) tiers 23 and 24 of the league pyramid of which there are no others!

I know people that play that standard and take great joy in telling them that they are quite possibly the worst footballers in England :)

Archived