IGNORED

Veteran Player Of The Year

tompo

The plug should be pulled on this contest now to avoid embarrassment to all concerned. Failing that if it can be proved there has been a campaign to get votes by dubious means then disqualify the beneficiary.

There is a precedent.

In 1991 Bob Nudd (four times world fishing champion) polled the most votes in the BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards.

He was not awarded the trophy because it was claimed that there was an orchestrated campaign (in the fishing press) to get people to vote for him. Personally I think this was wrong. The voting process was by postal vote and so people had to send a voting form in.

Unfortunately the results for BBC Sports Personality are not open to any form of independent scrutiny and minority sports (there are an estimated 5million anglers) will always be overlooked in favour of higher profile/more media friendly sports.

It has always struck me as odd that people like Bob Nudd and Alan Scotthorne who have both won 4 world fishing championships and the England fishing team who are arguably the best in the world never even get a mention. However, people like Henman who will never win anything in his life are treated like gods.

If the voting process for the Veteran Player is anything like that for the Sports Personality of the Year then I suspect that 5 Live know who THEY want to win and no matter how many votes are cast for anyone else nothing will change that.

If people want to ring Radio Five and complain, as I have done, then the phone number is:

08700 100 222

They assured me that action would be taken, but that was prior to Les Ferdinand notching up 20,000 votes overnight, and I see that David Eyres is still in front, which suggests they may need nudging by as many people as possible, if they are to take this seriously.

I strongly advise as many of you as possible to ring and make them aware that we intend to make a fuss about this, as Oldham and Leicester are just making the whole thing a farce, which reflects as badly on the BBC as it does on any of those who are cheating.

Failing that, I know Jonathan Pearce, so will contact him directly and make sure he is aware of what has been going on.

I have just called and the guy I spoke to said that "people can vote as many times as they like". When I pointed out to him that this could mean 1 person voting 10,000 times he didn't seem concerned!! When I pointed out to him that this made the voting a farce he said "well thats your opinion"!!!

He is however, going to put a complaint into the BBCi team, so lets see what happens.

And it wouldn't be good for the BBC to be caught up in another scandal so recently after the Government Hutton enquiry ( I think I'll stick an 'allegedly' in here as it dragged on for so long I'm not sure what happened in the end. :rolleyes: )

I'm not sure you can really compare the importance of national security, government scandals, cover ups and the inner workings of the BBC with a Veteran Footballer Poll...one is important and one is just trivial rubbish, I think I know which is which. :wacko:

I called the BBC on the number as suggested by Edson and spoke with Lloyd and outlined the problem with the script as being used by oldham as evidenced by comments on their fans forum.

He has passed this info on to their web team who will investigate.

I also suggest a few more people call to highlight the problem.

Justice must prevail.

Justice must prevail.
One person one vote.

Shouldn't be too difficult to administer and it is democratic.

Sad thing is whoever wins (including Tinman) will know that it is something of a hollow victory due to people casting multiple votes and not a true reflection of their actual standing.

Guest eviltaxman

These are the current standings.............

Nigel Martyn of Everton

3975 (4%)

Les Ferdinand of Leicester City

21452 (24%)

Youri Djorkaeff of Bolton Wanderers

4551 (5%)

David Eyres of Oldham Athletic

32481 (37%)

Craig Brewster of Dunfermline Athletic

388 (0%)

Iwan Roberts of Norwich City

9957 (11%)

Des Walker of Nottingham Forest

600 (1%)

Brian Tinnion of Bristol City

15170 (17%)

Tinman is still third.................. :rolleyes:

I dont understand what you're all complaining about.

We all know how these things internet polls work and we all know that theyre open to abuse, but we ignore that as long as 'our man' is winning.

We were trying our best to fix the vote ourselves by voting for 'Tinman' as many times as we could. We're just losing out to two sets of supporters who are even more desperate to win this contest than we are.

I remember another contest like this which made Tranmeres John King the third best manager of all time. Everyone outside the Wirral knows how ridiculous that is, but I bet the Tranmere fans were really proud of themselves. Aren't we in danger of doing something similar ?

Still, it gets the BBC people loads of hits for their website, so I guess they'll carry on running polls like this, knowing we'll fall for it every time.

it is all very true, although if it is made easier for people to vote this way, people will always take advantage.

As Tom said before, this could all have been made secure with a little bit of thought from the beeb as to how to make sure "one person, one vote."

In all honestly, as much as Tinman, the left footed pele would win it for me, i think the nation as a whole would vote for either Les or Youri.

Lets not get bitter about it, i think tinman knows how muh he means to us, so lets try and put our focus into supporting the team and winning the playoffs.

If Oldham want to come up with a form and win, then as much as i disagree with it, the beeb obviously will notice its going on, but will never do anything about it without complaints from joe public.

As much as it pains me to say, if Oldham know how to crack the system, then fair play to them... :rolleyes:

but you are right, to me this award does not have any credibility now - i mean 32,000 votes and counting for David Eyres?

Do me a favour! ......and there is still 3 days voting to go...

"And with over 75,000 votes, radio 5 listeners from around the world have voted David Eyres as their veteran player of the season.."

"who?!"

Guest bcfcsols

'who' indeed!

But we have every right to get bitter, Tinman deserves it and the others dont and that is what I truely believe

Just out of interest is there any way of finding out how the voting went last year? I know Zola won but with how many votes. If it was only a couple of 1000 it will show how it has become a farce. Zola was probably known by more people too.

Archived