IGNORED

Have I Lost Touch With What's Acceptable?

CotswoldRed

Firstly I don't want to come across as a forum whinger, but I can't think of a solid and good reason for locking 2 threads today.

Have I missed something I really ought to know better? At best I can see some of the words in one thread *might* be construed as offensive, but this was meant to be informative.

Can the mods explain?

Cheers

Paul ...

Firstly I don't want to come across as a forum whinger, but I can't think of a solid and good reason for locking 2 threads today.

Have I missed something I really ought to know better? At best I can see some of the words in one thread *might* be construed as offensive, but this was posted by a mod and were meant to be informative.

Can the mods explain?

Cheers

Paul ...

Paul, perhaps it's just that some people might think that one of the threads that referred to the brutal murder of a television personality, whose brains were blown out across the doorstep of her home might just be a tad offensive.

Paul, perhaps it's just that some people might think that one of the threads that referred to the brutal murder of a television personality, whose brains were blown out across the doorstep of her home might just be a tad offensive.

Hence my sentiment in that thread. I agree with this. Why is it not removed therefore? Strange thing is the club are happy for this song to go out over megaphone.

What's wrong with the other thread?

Hence my sentiment in that thread. I agree with this. Why is it not removed therefore? Strange thing is the club are happy for this song to go out over megaphone.

What's wrong with the other thread?

Fair comment, Paul. I would remove the thread altogether and would ask the club to instruct our Stewards to warn anyone singing this offensive crap in future.

And that isn't?

And that isn't?

I fear this is developing into a thread that will also be locked - not my intention.

Clearly there is some offensive stuff in the first thread (though it was meant to be informative I think - posting the lyrics will of course upset some), but the polll thread was also locked, which is the main reason for my initial question.

Pretty much and mods acted on the report button, as much as we let the debate run it is sensitive and had to be locked in the end, it also brews up arguments and bitching (not all but some do) and we can do without it.

the jill dado one yes, the megaphone thread is knock on from that thread and will just lead to comments made

in the dando thread, as i'm aware the lad with the megaphone will be asked to re-view his performaces so to speak.

OK. Its just a shame that the forum moderation has to be run is such a pre-emptive manner and a reasoned debate on the megaphone can no longer happen.

Thanks for responding.

Why on earth did the megaphone thread get locked? It asked if people liked the megaphone or not, how the hell is that offensive?

Point taken about the question ''if people liked the megaphone or not'' if it stayed a simple yes or no then ok but as i've said the comments that follow will be more or less the same as the locked dando topic as it starts to question what is being said down the megaphone and will bring up reoprted complaints again about jill dando.

I must admit it's beginning to annoy me now, it seems everytime there is a dispute, or everytime an arguement breaks out it is locked, as it may be deemed 'offensive'. IMO it is breaking up what can be valuable and enjoyable discussions, as you are not even able to reply to postes that quote your previous posts. I accept this forum is supposed to accomadate everyone, and some people will be easily offended more than others, but I think too many threads have been locked as of late.

I think people report something just for the sake of it. I admit I've done it once or twice but only where someone has started a verbal attack on someone. As far as I'm concerned anything goes apart from personal abuse.

• Admin

You are true but then equally the above mentioned topics are interesting in the sense of why now is a song (without getting into actual content) and the use of a megaphone (again not discussing specifics) suddenly an issue ?

Can remember hearing that being sung away many many seasons ago, I'm curious why people are suddenly picking this song out now ? (and I'm not condoning the rights or wrongs of the actual song)

In addition don't forget the megaphone was part of the East End when it was re-opened to the home support, back in the day when there were only 250 odd people in there, again why suddenly a problem after all this time ?

My point is to some it is a problem to others it is not, be it right or wrong, there are lines not to cross but each and everyone of us has different limits. . .

Archived