IGNORED

Why Have We Started Buying Rejects?

And Its Smith

What do Jamal Campbell-Ryce, Lewin Nyatanga and Danny Haynes got in common?

They were all unwanted players by teams no better than us in the same division.

Nyatanga and Haynes have hardly set the division alight this season, in fact I think Lewin has been extremely disappointing. Haynes has done ok but no better. Why have we started signing other Championship teams reserve players?

I really hope I am proved wrong about Campbell-Ryce but I have seen him play at least 10-12 times and although he is quick and has a little bit of trickery, the man cannot cross for toffee. Fans that sit in the Ayteo should watch out for balls flying past their heads from both wings if we play Campbell-Ryce and Sproule on both flanks.

Furthermore, these rejects arent cheap. £1million spent on Nyatanga and Haynes combined and Campbell-Ryce will have cost another 500-600k. Barnsley fans think its 750k.

Finally, its interesting that we have signed a player with a reported bad attitude. Either the reports are wrong or he hoodwinked Johnson's personality tests!

Nyatanga and Haynes have hardly set the division alight this season, in fact I think Lewin has been extremely disappointing. Haynes has done ok but no better. Why have we started signing other Championship teams reserve players?

I really hope I am proved wrong about Campbell-Ryce but I have seen him play at least 10-12 times and although he is quick and has a little bit of trickery, the man cannot cross for toffee. Fans that sit in the Ayteo should watch out for balls flying past their heads from both wings if we play Campbell-Ryce and Sproule on both flanks.

Furthermore, these rejects arent cheap. £1million spent on Nyatanga and Haynes combined and Campbell-Ryce will have cost another 500-600k. Barnsley fans think its 750k.

Finally, its interesting that we have signed a player with a reported bad attitude. Either the reports are wrong or he hoodwinked Johnson's personality tests!

in the same sense that thierry henry was a reject in italy, you mean?

We've signed plenty of players with reported bad attitudes- Marvin, McIndoe. Just cos it's reported doesn't mean it's true.

Lewin has been decent - maybe a few dodgy games..

Danny Haynes has been excellent for us...

why do we sign rejects? well we're not newcastle, west brom or anywhere near that level - so the players with better reputations probabaly dont want to come here...

Bristol City might mean alot to you and I - but to the rest of the footballing world we are a small club.

I think your perception of our club is a bit off! were not some sort of super club, i think your living in a bit of a dreamland!

Just out of interest RedDave who would you reccomend we buy?

Nyatanga and Haynes have both been very good additions, Nyatanga has had a few off games ok, but Haynes has been superb..

And Red dave with our budget who would you have suggested we bought. Its clear that we only had about 400k max to spend this window (Campbell-Ryce was about 250k i would imagine, nowere near the 750 k Barnsley fans are going on about).

Nyatanga and Haynes have both been very good additions, Nyatanga has had a few off games ok, but Haynes has been superb..

And Red dave with our budget who would you have suggested we bought. Its clear that we only had about 400k max to spend this window (Campbell-Ryce was about 250k i would imagine, nowere near the 750 k Barnsley fans are going on about).

Why dont some of you read what I have written before replying. I dont really understand the hilarity of my original post. Where does it suggest I think we are a super club? I just asked why we are buying reserve players of teams that are no better than us.

I would like us to sign regular good performers from teams in League 1 or reserve players from Premier League teams. Players like Halmosi would fit the bill. Caleb Folan is another. Not too clued up on the League 1 performers but there have been various suggestions on here over the last few months.

How is it 'clear' we had 400k to spend?! Nobody apart from the clubs will know how much Campbell-Ryce has been signed for. Who would have thought we would've signed Maynard for the sum we did before it happened?

Just dont understand buying players that arent wanted by Barnsley, Ipswich and Derby. Of course there are times where it will work out but I would say that is the exception. I dont understand why some fans seem to love Nyatanga. His positional sense is appalling, he is average in the air and has a bit of pace. That's all. Haynes is an exciting player on occasions but has he really affected a lot of games?

Lets see at the end of the season and if the 3 players mentioned have a storming few months I will be the first to hold my hand up.

Why dont some of you read what I have written before replying. I dont really understand the hilarity of my original post. Where does it suggest I think we are a super club? I just asked why we are buying reserve players of teams that are no better than us.

I would like us to sign regular good performers from teams in League 1 or reserve players from Premier League teams. Players like Halmosi would fit the bill. Caleb Folan is another. Not too clued up on the League 1 performers but there have been various suggestions on here over the last few months.

How is it 'clear' we had 400k to spend?! Nobody apart from the clubs will know how much Campbell-Ryce has been signed for. Who would have thought we would've signed Maynard for the sum we did before it happened?

Just dont understand buying players that arent wanted by Barnsley, Ipswich and Derby. Of course there are times where it will work out but I would say that is the exception. I dont understand why some fans seem to love Nyatanga. His positional sense is appalling, he is average in the air and has a bit of pace. That's all. Haynes is an exciting player on occasions but has he really affected a lot of games?

Lets see at the end of the season and if the 3 players mentioned have a storming few months I will be the first to hold my hand up.

I think you need to think about what threads you post if you want to be taken seriously. I wont insult your intelligence by going into detail but it's a market, you get what you pay for, but also what you need. SL obviously told GJ that he needed to sign a left sided player because all the supporters who have managed Premier League teams told him that was what was needed in order to stop them booing the tea lady in the boardroom but that he had to do it on the cheap until he could sell his timeshare in Tenerife. Enough said. Everybody in our first team has been somebody's cast off at some stage - except Skuse, who you may remember came through the academy.

Sorry dont agree with that statement at all. I think Haynes has done really well for us.

Everybody in our first team has been somebody's cast off at some stage - except Skuse, who you may remember came through the academy.

Again, point missed. Its not about not signing cast offs - its about not signing cast offs from teams no better than us.

Orr - Premier League reserve player

McAllister - Scottish Prem reserve

Carey - knew what we were getting and Coventry were in a higher league

Fontaine - Premier League youth player

Sproule - Scottish Prem reserve

Hartley - knew he was quality and came from Scottish Prem

Skuse - youth, as you sarcastically state

Maynard - top player from league below

I could go on but hopefully you get the jist. Doubt it though.

so would you prefer us to buy players that are wanted by Accrington Stanley, Chester and Forest Green Rovers instead then?

They are cheap Dave

Not really disagreeing but ,as has been pointed out, we get who we can get. Perhaps we have been in for Halmosi? Maybe we cant afford him or he doesnt want to come, ditto prem reserves.

Plus, arent we buying a proven championship player? Players move on ,dont make them rejects. Lets see how he gets on.

Actually we probably have a team of rejects dont we.......?

I would like us to sign regular good performers from teams in League 1 or reserve players from Premier League teams. Players like Halmosi would fit the bill.

Oh the great Halmosinoexpression.gif , Hes exactly the sort of player YOU are saying we shouldnt sign. Played for Plymouth in the Championship and isnt good enough to play any higher.

So basically we would be signing a cast off from Hull (that massive premier league club!!)whose not good enough for themspeechless-smiley-040.gif

I would say because we spent years in the league below spending big money for that league watching team like Hartlepool, Wycombe and Tranmere do just as well as us by picking up other teams rejects while we tried to buy there best players for massively inflated prices - Now we have a shrewder manager who understands its not about getting the best 1 player from every club its about getting the best 11 for our club.

JCR was a regular starter for Barnsley, obv they needed the money a bit more. Lewin is only 23(?) and has plenty of time to mature into a good centre back. Haynes was a regular starter for Ipswich and again I'd imagine that the fee we paid was something Ipswich couldnt really say no to.

Give JCR a chance.

I swear some of our fans are totally deluded. Who on earth do you think we are, Manchester United?

We are a slightly above average Championship side, therefore we are signing players from Championship clubs with Championship experience... alongside a mix of talented youngsters, and a few with experience of a higher levels.

What would you suggest we do instead? Spend massive money on Premier League quality players and bankrupt ourselves? Build a team entirely of lower league players?

Nyatanga is a full Welsh internation with quite a few caps and every Derby fan I've spoken to (I live in Derby so that's a fair few) can't understand why they let him go so cheap if at all.

Haynes has always had potential but I think he's done really well for us, really exciting player to watch.

Again, point missed. Its not about not signing cast offs - its about not signing cast offs from teams no better than us.

Being a former Premier League reserve player means nothing, they are scattered all over the football league and lower. Being scottish premier reserver means a hell of a lot less than being an established championship player.

Maynard was a good league 1 player but that comes at a price, a price we can't afford at the moment.

Jamal is a City player now so we need to get behind him 100%.

i think its 5 from your list who helped us to promotion... if thats reject quality i am quite happy we continue to snap them up.

Anyway, more to the point, someone else's reject can be our little gem. Just like some of our rejects are other clubs new gems.

As far as bad attitude is concerned; every player can be moulded to suit a different regime. I heard haynes had a bit of an attitude at Ipswich.. i for one think he has been a good buy.

This game is always fluid, always changing thats because each team is full of characters who at one point may conform, put the effort in and play well and then go off on a bender and/or not play well. There is no crystal ball but Gary J lets players go and brings players in based on his best possible judgement.

As for players you would prefer all i can say is that he may very well be an admirer of Halmosi but we have no idea of the circumstances in which, if he was, he cannot bring him here; such as money, not available, does not want to come etc etc

I think at this point we should be saluting his efforts once again in bringing in a player who could do the business for us. Lets give him a warm welcome and give him a chance.

Archived