IGNORED

Maynard, Nyatanga And Gerken

Lack of Action Man

I start this thread having watched the game on the box tonight with my old man who was moaning about these three players. My argument was that they are young, will develop and only get better (though I didn't actually say this as an argument with your dad normally gets you no where, no matter how old you are) and though they have their faults all three are championship standard players and have enhanced the side since their arrival.

But then it also had me thinking - do we asked too much of them?

Gerken has been thrust into the first team when really I doubt he was expecting to get much of a chance to shine. Whilst he has gone beyond the call of duty so far, tonight there were a few flaws in his game. Nyatanga has been placed in at left back when he must've been expecting to start as a centre back, again a few flaws to his game are appearing. Maynard is probably the only one who was expecting to be a regular in the side (in his natural position) but he is going through a dry patch. They are all very young in footballing terms. If you consider that our original back four of Orr, Carey, Fontaine and McAllister were all older (Fontaine being the same age) than Gerken that could explain why we have had defensive lapses/problems with confidence, likewise Nyatanga is younger than the back four and Gerken and then Maynard is very young for a striker at this level.

Do we as a club expect too much out of these players at times?

Discuss.

Archived