IGNORED

When The Going Gets Tough...

Murraysrightplum

...do city fans back the team (including the manager)?

Heard an interview with Jamie Carragher on the radio and apparantly about 3 hours before their game with spurs 3 thousand-odd fans turned up at the ground with banners, supporting the team and club and manager. They went on to win the game 2-0 with 5 key players injured.

Can you ever imagine that happening at the Gate?

Liverpool are one of the top clubs in the world, world class players and a top class manager, and many many fans.

Its hardly surprising, they have a lot to be grateful for.

I think you've answered my question with that answer.

Success is relative. If 1000 City supporters organised a demonstration of support (a number not unreasonable IMO) for the management and team think what that could do for the club as a whole. We got to the play-off final with an average CCC team, good manager and the mantra of "always believe". I think the fans' support that season was crucial in our success.

I can imagine this on a Rovers board if we did a similar thing:

"Bristol City are one of the top 8 clubs in the Championship, good players and a top class manager, and many many more fans than us.

Its hardly surprising, they have a lot to be grateful for."

Its amazing watching the likes of stoke on tv - a smaller club than us - just the level of volume and the positive effect it has on the team. I dont feel proud as a city fan - if there were a league table of fans we would be conference at best - time we all woke up to this and made some noise regardless of peformances.

Its amazing watching the likes of stoke on tv - a smaller club than us - just the level of volume and the positive effect it has on the team. I dont feel proud as a city fan - if there were a league table of fans we would be conference at best - time we all woke up to this and made some noise regardless of peformances.

Can you provide your workings for that statement please?

I really don't see where you got that from!

Heard an interview with Jamie Carragher on the radio and apparantly about 3 hours before their game with spurs 3 thousand-odd fans turned up at the ground with banners, supporting the team and club and manager. They went on to win the game 2-0 with 5 key players injured.

Could be banners calling for the managers head.dunno.gif

Thats like saying were a smaller club then Millwall or Swindon. I will give it to you that Stoke are only slightly bigger than us.

Were not non league I would say that we are a bit like Mcindoe - fantastic Big game player but have trouble with motivation for smaller games and an ego that's beyond what we have achieved we dont like to be told were not doing enough and generally throw our toys out the pram when we dont get the ball played exactly where we want it.

We can argue about which club is bigger forever, it s been done to death.

Stoke are not a massive club, but they have a great support - why cant we have the same ?? - if some of the regular moaning incumbents of the forum spent as much time discussing how to boost support as they do on moaning about players and arguing amonst themselves we might just get something going....damn now Ive started moaning....biggrin.gif

I think the major differences are these. Liverpool greatly underachieving this season is the subject of national news, papers, phone ins, shows like Football Focus and a load of internet sites will focus on it. Us, underachieving by some of our own fans reckoning is hardly national news. If you were to ask a sample of 100 championship clubs fans, all of which support different teams, to predict the league table at the start of this season, I bet inbetween 8-14th is where most would place us. If you were to ask 100 PL fans, all of which support different clubs, to predict the league table at the start of the season, I am sure most would bet Liverpool would be top 5 at least. This draws even more attention to Liverpool's situation, and may drive their supporters on to do such a show of support.

Also, we are no where near as big as liverpool in terms of fan base and recognition. For arguments sake, say our fanbase (including ex-pats and people who may venture to a final with us playing in, but have us as a 2nd team) is around 100,000, and liverpools is around 1 Million, and 3000 of their fans turned up to support the team, I am sure right now, if someone organised it, we would be able to get 300 fans turn up early to Cardiff to support the team like Liverpools fans did with their 3000. Its all relative to the club and their size.

We can argue about which club is bigger forever, it s been done to death.

Stoke are not a massive club, but they have a great support - why cant we have the same ?? - if some of the regular moaning incumbents of the forum spent as much time discussing how to boost support as they do on moaning about players and arguing amonst themselves we might just get something going....damn now Ive started moaning....biggrin.gif

Please correct me if im wrong but the season they went up they had worse attendance than us were asking for penis to be sacked because of poor football and were one of the quietest teams in the league.

Not that this is helpful and we do need a kick up the ass and get behind the players but to hold Stoke up as what we should be aiming for as an example is quite laughable.

Yes, I can imagine us having 5 key players injured! whistle.gif

It would be a good idea at somewhere near like Reading or Watford. 1000 or so fans get there for when the team bus arrives. Singing and flag waving. Would be a real confidence boost for the players.

Can see what your saying and that was exactly the sort of thing that happened at St James park really, and that was a good result that day.

Were you at the West Brom away game mate?

Our fans are passionate about City.

4 - one down and the Baggie fans try to take the p***

They're knocked backwards by a wall of sound from the City

Were you at the West Brom away game mate?

Our fans are passionate about City.

4 - one down and the Baggie fans try to take the p***

They're knocked backwards by a wall of sound from the City

Are you talking about this season? or the time before? (boxing day)

the time before was embarassing - worst away match I've ever been too. City fans were silent.

the time before was embarassing - worst away match I've ever been too. City fans were silent.

It can be comical when those supporters get there hands on the tickets first. Luckily we don't get many away days like that one.

this season.

Agree, with Phillipps peppering our goal from every angle it wasn't nice being there 2 years ago.

Different matter entirely this year

Not a chance in hell would that happen here.

well, maybe if the good old eastenders put the rest of us to shame again with their brilliant organisation and passion. other than group we've got to be amongst the least positive, silent fans in the upper reaches of english football.

we used to have a reputation for being a loud fanbase, now we can barely pick it up for big games.

it's a shame :(

well, maybe if the good old eastenders put the rest of us to shame again with their brilliant organisation and passion. other than group we've got to be amongst the least positive, silent fans in the upper reaches of english football.

There are many many other clubs in the top 2 divisions with quiet support- have you been to Coventry, Reading, Derby, Wigan, Birmingham? I don't subscribe to the idea that the eastend is the be all and end all of the 'positive, passionate fans' etc.

I dont feel proud as a city fan - if there were a league table of fans we would be conference at best - time we all woke up to this and made some noise regardless of peformances.

That's just total gash I'm afraid. In my league table we'd be in the upper reaches of the C'ship.

Due to the noise in the East End we very rarely get outsung at Ashton Gate. Away from home we are nearly always excellent, 500 were oustanding at Leicester outsinging 18,000.

Superb array of songs and what about the bouncing last season? Opposition fans were left bewildered.

There are many many other clubs in the top 2 divisions with quiet support- have you been to Coventry, Reading, Derby, Wigan, Birmingham? I don't subscribe to the idea that the eastend is the be all and end all of the 'positive, passionate fans' etc.

No, not quite the be all on the end all... there a few behind the goal in the atyeo who sing, and fair play to them.

the Dolman is dead

The williams doesn't even get mentioned in these debates anymore, for good reason.

Liverpool fans have proven they are easily the best in the land, They have had their club taken from them from foriegn "Businessmen" and crippled after it was in a decent position. The manager has had to contend with point scoring and Bickering from the people who should be backing him to the hills and back, and those fans are still one hundred percent behind the team. In contrast Bristol City are in the strongest position they've been in for several decades, A chairman who supports and loves the club, A manager with a wealth of experience and the promise of a new stadium that will lead to the club having some of the best facilities in the country. and a year where we have consolidated our position within the second tier of english football has cause 'uproar' and disgust from certain sections of our support.

I don't really get it, we all pay the money to support and fund the club we love yes? So why can't we just get behind the lads, show them we're the fans we think we are. Prove again that City boys are the best of the best!

It's a sad day when the usual song starters don't bother trying anymore, not because of the standard of football... but because there is no chance of the fans around him singing along!

I'm not saying I'm perfect, as that's the usual retort when it comes to this discussion. I am no super fan, I get irate with Sproule for not making the run early enough, I scream at Bradley for falling on his arse on the edge of our box... I'm a fan, what i don't get is those who pay for the right to moan? Because that's the only justification we hear from those that do it..... we should be paying for the privilige of watching our club play footy, for the right to have a beer and sing along with the lads, get a bit excited and shout. then, go home talking about the high's and the lows of the game... Not taking a notebook so you can get your facts perfect for your bi-weekly moan on OTIB....

we should be enjoying the amazing standard of football our local club is playing at. The last time i saw any figures this division is the 6th most watched in Europe? bigger than the Bundesliga?

sometimes you don't notice a good thing til it's gone..

That's just total gash I'm afraid. In my league table we'd be in the upper reaches of the C'ship.

Due to the noise in the East End we very rarely get outsung at Ashton Gate. Away from home we are nearly always excellent, 500 were oustanding at Leicester outsinging 18,000.

Superb array of songs and what about the bouncing last season? Opposition fans were left bewildered.

At home we are decent and are certainly nowere near the worst in the league, that is a load of bollox. Away we are excellent aswell (wish more would stand up away thou)

What we do lack it seems is another proper singing area, i dont want to sound like a super fan (im sure i will still be accused of it) but from were im stood in the EE it seems that without us AG would be bordering on embarassing. The Ateyo try now and again and fair play but the Dolman and Williams are no exsistent bare the odd come on u reds. Another desiginated singing area were fans who dont like the view of the EE but still want to stand and have a sing song would help so much more imo.

No, not quite the be all on the end all... there a few behind the goal in the atyeo who sing, and fair play to them.

the Dolman is dead

The williams doesn't even get mentioned in these debates anymore, for good reason.

Liverpool fans have proven they are easily the best in the land, They have had their club taken from them from foriegn "Businessmen" and crippled after it was in a decent position. The manager has had to contend with point scoring and Bickering from the people who should be backing him to the hills and back, and those fans are still one hundred percent behind the team. In contrast Bristol City are in the strongest position they've been in for several decades, A chairman who supports and loves the club, A manager with a wealth of experience and the promise of a new stadium that will lead to the club having some of the best facilities in the country. and a year where we have consolidated our position within the second tier of english football has cause 'uproar' and disgust from certain sections of our support.

I don't really get it, we all pay the money to support and fund the club we love yes? So why can't we just get behind the lads, show them we're the fans we think we are. Prove again that City boys are the best of the best!

It's a sad day when the usual song starters don't bother trying anymore, not because of the standard of football... but because there is no chance of the fans around him singing along!

I'm not saying I'm perfect, as that's the usual retort when it comes to this discussion. I am no super fan, I get irate with Sproule for not making the run early enough, I scream at Bradley for falling on his arse on the edge of our box... I'm a fan, what i don't get is those who pay for the right to moan? Because that's the only justification we hear from those that do it..... we should be paying for the privilige of watching our club play footy, for the right to have a beer and sing along with the lads, get a bit excited and shout. then, go home talking about the high's and the lows of the game... Not taking a notebook so you can get your facts perfect for your bi-weekly moan on OTIB....

we should be enjoying the amazing standard of football our local club is playing at. The last time i saw any figures this division is the 6th most watched in Europe? bigger than the Bundesliga?

sometimes you don't notice a good thing til it's gone..

****** well said, i'm up for it, get your heads out tonight lads,n ****** baadiff/caaadiff/*******/ call em what you like but make sure it's ****** loud for them for they are the enemy. i'll be in the Williams. make some noise you *****!

Archived