IGNORED

Agyemang...

HibbsyBCFC

I am really trying to remain positive about this new addition and should I turn up at the Gate tonight to find we're playing 4-4-2 with two pacey wingers feeding Maynard and Agyemang I will be excited to see how we get on.

However, I cannot help but feel sorry for our current crop of strikers.

We started the season with Maynard, Haynes, Clarkson, Trundle, Akinde, Jackson, Plummer on our books. Only Maynard and Haynes have been given any sort of notable chance. We then got Velika in on loan, broke his leg so went back to the market place and brought in Saborio... and now Agyemang.

Not only that, but our strikers had to sit through last week's replay and watch a midfielder (Sno) partner Maynard up front.

This long list of names got me thinking... exactly how many strikers have past through our club under Johnson?

Bridges

Stewart

Gillespie

Brooker

Savage

Jevons

Showomni

McCammon

Andy Smith

Trundle

Byfield

Adebola

Maynard

Akinde

John

Styvar

Myrie-Williams

Clarkson

Haynes

Velika

Saborio

Agyemang

That's 22 in less than four and a half years! Its almost as farsical as QPR's managerial merry-go-round!

Time for Johnson to have a serious look at his scouting, his tactics and the quality of service to the strikers he picks. Also time for SL to challenge Johnson on why he should release any more funds for strikers given Johnson's record in this market.

I am really trying to remain positive about this new addition and should I turn up at the Gate tonight to find we're playing 4-4-2 with two pacey wingers feeding Maynard and Agyemang I will be excited to see how we get on.

We started the season with Maynard, Haynes, Clarkson, Trundle, Akinde, Jackson, Plummer on our books. Only Maynard and Haynes have been given any sort of notable chance. We then got Velika in on loan, broke his leg so went back to the market place and brought in Saborio... and now Agyemang.

Not only that, but our strikers had to sit through last week's replay and watch a midfielder (Sno) partner Maynard up front.

This long list of names got me thinking... exactly how many strikers have past through our club under Johnson?

Bridges - Good player but injury prone - 6/10

Stewart - another signing by tinnion - 4/10

Gillespie - picked up form when left, never got a real chance - 6/10

Brooker - got the goals when needed, also injury prone - 7/10

Savage - everybodys favourite striker - 4/10

Jevons - Not good enough for this level - 6/10

Showomni - same as jevons - 6/10

McCammon - always been a fan of his, got us some goals - 7/10

Andy Smith - remember the name, no impact - 2/10

Trundle - waste of money but got valuable goals - 5/10

Byfield - did become top goalscorer - 7/10

Adebola - got goals when form was lacking - 8/10

Maynard - good signing, gets us goals and will be for a while - 8/10

Akinde - may turn out good, good youngster - 7/10

John - awful, lazy, couldnt hit a barn door - 3/10

Styvar - not even a striker! played at fullback - 2/10

Myrie-Williams - good league 1 player with attitude problem - 5/10

Clarkson - hasnt had much ofa chance to get to grrips with speed of the game - 6/10

Haynes - good pacey youngster - 8/10

Velika - unfortunate - ?/10

Saborio - hasnt had the service - 4/10

Agyemang - who knows

That's 22 in less than four and a half years! Its almost as farsical as QPR's managerial merry-go-round!

Time for Johnson to have a serious look at his scouting, his tactics and the quality of service to the strikers he picks. Also time for SL to challenge Johnson on why he should release any more funds for strikers given Johnson's record in this market.

Bridges - Signed by Tinnion

Stewart - Signed by Tinnion

Gillespie - Signed by Wilson

Brooker - Signed by Tinnion

Savage - loan signing - did the job he was brought in to do

Jevons - Contributed to us getting promotion - good signing

Showomni - Contributed to us getting promotion - good signing

McCammon - good loan signing

Andy Smith - short term contract - waste of time - now back playing in Northern Ireland

Trundle - not able to make the step-up to Championship level

Byfield - got some valuable goals and helped us to the play-offs

Adebola - good signing

Maynard - good signing

Akinde - promising youngster - good signing

John - waste of time

Styvar - crap

Myrie-Williams - contributed in the promotion season but not a championship player

Clarkson - jury still out

Haynes - good signing

Velika - might well have been a good signing

Saborio - hasn't coped with the pace of Championship football

Agyemang - who knows

Of these, it seems that there is only one out and out failure amongst permanent signings, that being Styvar. Loan and short-term signings of John and Smith, and now Saborio, didn't work out, and some would argue that Trundle was a failure (though others might think he was worth it just for the goal in the play-off semi). Seems to me that there isn't that much wrong with the scouting network if only one permanent signing has turned out to be a complete failure.

Would you say the same about our goalkeepers?

Since GJ arrived we've had the following in our first team squad;

Steve Phillips

Nathan Abbey

Adriano Basso

John Ruddy

Lee Bullard

Matt Reed

Chris Weale

Stephen Henderson

Dean Gerken

and now Steve Collis,

Plus at least two others on trial this summer.

Fact is GJ has now been here for 4 and a half years, the turnover up front is barely any greater than this and he's got far more strikers right than he's given any credit for.

Final point, Styvar was a big flop but let's not keep trotting out this "he was a full back" myth, shall we?

Bridges - very poor Tinman signing

Stewart - very poor Tinman signing

Gillespie - very poor Tinman signing

Brooker - very good - but a tinman signing

Savage - did'nt rate him, but the team won alot with him in it. GOOD SIGNING

Jevons - again did'nt rate him - but helped us get promoted GOOD SIGNING

Showomni - also helped us get promoted - but average striker GOOD SIGNING

McCammon - okay for us. neither good or bad

Andy Smith - terrible

Trundle - On his day a very good player - but his day was often enough - neither good or bad

Byfield - good scoring record for us, helped establish us - disappointed we let him go GOOD SIGNING

Adebola - although we turned into a hoofball team from this point (not his fault) GOOD SIGNING

Maynard - was always going to be a VERY GOOD SIGNING

Akinde - big future ahead GOOD SIGNING

John - understand why he signed him - prolific the season before for southampton - but terrible signing

Styvar - personnally, I think he would have been good if he could have settled here - but terrible signing

Myrie-Williams - youngster who was never going to be good enough here - not a GJ signing

Clarkson - clever player - needs time to get used to the pace of the championship - will come good but at the mo, neither good or bad

Haynes - done very well GOOD SIGNING

Velika - injured with minutes neither good or bad - nothing GJ can do either - pure bad luck

Saborio - Looks like a bad signing

Agyemang - time will tell

out of the 22

5 were not his signings

2 are still to be judged (PA & Clarkson)

2 average signings

4 terrible signings

8 Good signings

1 injured - bad luck

not that bad when you break it down

Would you say the same about our goalkeepers?

Since GJ arrived we've had the following in our first team squad;

Steve Phillips

Nathan Abbey

Adriano Basso

John Ruddy

Lee Bullard

Matt Reed

Chris Weale

Stephen Henderson

Dean Gerken

and now Steve Collis,

Plus at least two others on trial this summer.

Fact is GJ has now been here for 4 and a half years, the turnover up front is barely any greater than this and he's got far more strikers right than he's given any credit for.

Final point, Styvar was a big flop but let's not keep trotting out this "he was a full back" myth, shall we?

No I wouldn't say the same about our keepers becuase;

(A) its less than half the amount, not "barely any greater"

(B) he hasn't changed his first team pick regularly... Basso and Gerken have started 95% of Johnson's games as manager

© you will always turn over your 2nd and 3rd choice keepers regularly as keepers tend not to get injured / dropped as often, so there's only so long the likes of Weale, Henderson and

Collis will be prepared to sit on the bench before moving on to another club.

Looking at the current crop...

Maynard has great talent, but has gone off the boil recently. Played poorly against Preston.

Haynes has found his confidence and is starting to play really well

Clarkson is too slow

Saborio is mediocre

Akinde is pretty good, but a target man up front is not usually our best option

So I think there is scope for a new striker in the pack. Let's see how this guy turns out.

I think one of the issues is whether GJ's signings get value for money. Only way is to go through one by one and it's a mixed bag. In summary I think it's fair comment that GJ doesn't like fox in the box players, hasn't picked up a promising bargain and no strikers have really prospered. He's been unlucky with some players - I have a feeling Velika would have done well as would the ex Manchester Utd player who was in the U.S. league. He's made three expensive mistakes in Styvar, Clarkson and Trundle. Saborio and John have been expensive loan signings that haven't worked. There have been no promising reserve strikers coming though the academy either. We're an established mid-table Championship side under GJ which I think most would have accepted as the Club looked to heading for league 2 before his appointment so he has done a lot of things right and he gets my praise and support for that but his transfer dealing for strikers is probably average at best and needs to be addressed with a close look at the scouting set-up and academy.

Bridges - Without the fitness to meet with what qualifies to be a GJ player. Fair decision for a new manager to offload him.

Stewart - if he didn't fit in with GJ's approach then correct decision to offload a player on high wages.

Gillespie - always thought he could do something and be one of those elusive goal scorers. If he hasn't done much since leaviing then GJ's decision is vindicated.

Brooker - Offloading was a natural and inevitable conclusion to a player that could have achieved so much.

Savage - Poor player but great value for money signing as we were hovering close to relegation and I am sure his spirit helped contribute to the uplift in results.

Jevons - Didn't cost much and played his part in getting promotion. Not good enough for Championship so right to offload.

Showomni - Promised much and had some cracking games as well as poor ones. Wasn't an expensive signing and did ok.

McCammon - poor loan signing but wouldn't have cost the Club much.

Andy Smith - poor loan signing and about as prolific goal-scorer as a centre-half on a bad run.

Trundle - vast amount of money wasted although some recouped by play-off goals. Why sign a player who will not flourish if he has to track back in the same style that GJ insists for all players. I think this is GJ's weakness. In every team there will be one or two players who need to be given a license with some freedom. GJ demands that is strikers follow the same work ethic and that is probably why those strikers who have good goal scoring records at other clubs struggle at City. The 20 or 30 a season fox in the box player wouldn't be allowed to play that role under GJ. Trundle wasn't a fox in the box and the lack of goals were frustrating - maybe should have been given more chances on the left.

Byfield - Not a bad goal scoring record and didn't break the bank.

Adebola - did a good job. Played very badly in the play-off final for some reason.

Maynard - Looks as if he could be a quality signing with the right support.

Akinde - could be ok and the decision to loan him and bring in a journeyman like Agyemang is odd.

John - expensive wages, did have a good goal scoring record. Just one of those ones that looked potentially good on paper but didn't work out.

Styvar - bad signing, waste of money. Presumably recommended by Pete Johnson which raises questions about the scouting set-up.

Myrie-Williams - not good enough. Right to offload.

Clarkson - waste of money and puzzling that GJ has spent a lot of money on a player he seems to suggest hasn't got the athleticism for Chamionship football.

Haynes - good signing but needs to be more clinical in front of goal as, quite simply, doesn't score enough as a striker. Jury out on him as a winger.

Velika - club were desperately unlucky.

Saborio - mystery. He seems a quality player with a good goal-scoring record but yet another of those whose record deteriorates as soon as he plays for City. Unable to adjust or is it that he doesn't get the chances provided that strikers needed.

Agyemang - depressing signing.

Bridges

Stewart

Gillespie

Brooker

Savage

Jevons

Showomni

McCammon

Andy Smith

Trundle

Byfield

Adebola

Maynard

Akinde

John

Styvar

Myrie-Williams

Clarkson

Haynes

Velika

Saborio

Agyemang

"Hardest of all is to scout forwards as their goalscoring record is there for anyone to see"

From a Pete Johnson interview on World (Player).

Don't really see how you can judge him on last night - must be difficult to come into a team that immediately collapses.

I agree. I've been critical of his signing and still think he'll prove to rubbish, but its not his fault we shipped 6 goals last night and he shouldn't be judged on that particular start to his City career

Fee agreed apparently if we want him ... £450,000

http://www.kilburnti...3A01%3A09%3A687

In that case let's give John Akinde a proper run. £450K for Agyemang is a waste of yet more Steve Lansdown cash. We are losing money hand over fist as it is without adding these sorts of sums for mediocre Championship players to it.

Archived