IGNORED

Sl Losing Confidence In Gary (not!)

Martyn Hocking

A couple of weeks ago we had all sorts of people on here arguing that Steve Lansdown had lost faith in Gary and wouldn't be letting him have any money for January transfer window signings, based on a typically well-worded interview our beloved chairman gave to a radio show.

In reality Steve was putting up his usual smoke screen and he has once again come up with the cash to back Gary in the transfer and loan markets.

Those hoping for an early exit for Gary - or signs of a rift between him and Steve Lansdown - have had to change tack and instead are now rubbishing our signings because, er, they haven't played for Man Utd, or some such tosh.

We needed a left winger to replace McIndoe. We got a left winger to replace McIndoe

We needed an experienced, strong central striker to replace Dele. We got an experienced strong central striker to replace Dele.

We SHOULD have got them both back in the summer, and if we had we would now be in the top six, but better late than never!

A couple of weeks ago we had all sorts of people on here arguing that Steve Lansdown had lost faith in Gary and wouldn't be letting him have any money for January transfer window signings, based on a typically well-worded interview our beloved chairman gave to a radio show.

In reality Steve was putting up his usual smoke screen and he has once again come up with the cash to back Gary in the transfer and loan markets.

Those hoping for an early exit for Gary - or signs of a rift between him and Steve Lansdown - have had to change tack and instead are now rubbishing our signings because, er, they haven't played for Man Utd, or some such tosh.

We needed a left winger to replace McIndoe. We got a left winger to replace McIndoe

We needed an experienced, strong central striker to replace Dele. We got an experienced strong central striker to replace Dele.

We SHOULD have got them both back in the summer, and if we had we would now be in the top six, but better late than never!

clapping.gif

Yes great news, but if we needed a winger to replace Mcindoe...why not get the winger and then sell Mcindoe...having no shape has cost us.

Yes great news, but if we needed a winger to replace Mcindoe...why not get the winger and then sell Mcindoe...having no shape has cost us.

Left wingers are quite rare - if you want a half decent one you have to make a space available for them - if as a player your getting first team football at one club and another club comes in but that other club already has an established player in your position it will certainly make you think twice.

Guest pogopete

I do not know what Lansdown thinks of Johnson but its no good him saying about the Club standing on its own feet when he employs a management team that has wasted millions of pounds on players.

I think the Club needs a new management team clear the lot of them out, I just think we are putting off the inevitable and wasting time

Agreed 100% (in hindsight) - I guess with JCR he was not available in the summer when he was still part of the Barnsley first XI and is only up for grabs now because he has fallen out with his manager. We have got a bargain as a result I would think, but clearly at a cost. Impossible to know but we could have been 6-8 points better off than we are if we had turned home draws into wins by scoring that infernal second goal to make the game safe.

Left wingers are quite rare - if you want a half decent one you have to make a space available for them - if as a player your getting first team football at one club and another club comes in but that other club already has an established player in your position it will certainly make you think twice.

Or maybe this...

Gary to Mcindoe; 'We will sell you when we've found a replacement, so carry on and honour with your contract until we tell you otherwise'.

Gary to Campbell-Rice; 'Yes we already have Mcindoe, but dont worry dear because you are the number one if you join us. Once you agree to join, we will be selling Mcindoe anyway.'

Left winger? I hope so.

IMO we needed players in pretty much every position before we needed a sixth centre forward. Velicka and then Saborio was the Dele replacement.

I didn't realise it was all so straightforward. Agyemang and JCR are the only missing pieces of the play-off jigsaw and will apparently solve our defensive as well as attacking problems judging by your statement (I hope you are right by the way). So we should now EXPECT, with everything you say Gary has at his disposal, to see both results and entertaining football then!! I'm not rubbishing either player and I will certainly judge them on what they do in a red shirt but I just hope that the introduction of Agyemang doesn't stifle the development of the one young, exciting and "different" forward we have in John Akinde. I want to see a longer term plan not just a short term clutch of loan signings to sort out longer term problems in the short term only. I will be very disappointed if Akinde, who could provide a longer term solution to a long term problem IF we give him a chance to prove it, is sat in the stands tonight and not even given a slot on the bench - unfortunately I think I will be disappointed when the team sheet is read out but, of course, hope to be wrong.

I don't think there is a rift between Lansdown and Johnson but I can guarantee that the days when Johnson is allowed to waste £1 million on non-performing centre-forwards with a sell-on value of NIL are over.

Guest pogopete

Left winger? I hope so.

IMO we needed players in pretty much every position before we needed a sixth centre forward. Velicka and then Saborio was the Dele replacement.

The reason we needed another CF is the others are not good enough we have been crying out for one since DELE left

Agreed 100% (in hindsight) - I guess with JCR he was not available in the summer when he was still part of the Barnsley first XI and is only up for grabs now because he has fallen out with his manager. We have got a bargain as a result I would think, but clearly at a cost. Impossible to know but we could have been 6-8 points better off than we are if we had turned home draws into wins by scoring that infernal second goal to make the game safe.

Or, going by past comments of the Manager himself, would we have made ourselves less compact, more open and conceded vital goals and find ourselves in a relegation position?!!!

The reason we needed another CF is the others are not good enough we have been crying out for one since DELE left

In other words Gary thought he could replace Dele by spending LESS money and has probably found that it has cost him MORE money to replace him. How much extra was Dele asking for compared to what we have spent on Velicka, Saborio and Agyemang? Plus, Dele Adebola would have been a fantastic mentor to John Akinde.

In other words Gary thought he could replace Dele by spending LESS money and has probably found that it has cost him MORE money to replace him. How much extra was Dele asking for compared to what we have spent on Velicka, Saborio and Agyemang? Plus, Dele Adebola would have been a fantastic mentor to John Akinde.

There is now way you can give a 2 year deal to someone who is only effective from the bench or if playing once a week.

because coventry came in with a very good take it or leave if offer which gj accepted fair enough we should of got a replacement but left sided midfielders these days are rarer than rocking horse shit so it just took some time to find someone who has abit of quality about them and not rushing out buying any tom dick or harry

Completely disagree. Saborio is plenty good enough, we gave him a run in a side with no balance and he got no service.

Sort the width and balance out with a decent pair of wingers and any of our five forwards will be very effective.

Guest pogopete

There is now way you can give a 2 year deal to someone who is only effective from the bench or if playing once a week.

I don't know what about Clarkson he gets bye ok?.

Guest pogopete

Completely disagree. Saborio is plenty good enough, we gave him a run in a side with no balance and he got no service.

Sort the width and balance out with a decent pair of wingers and any of our five forwards will be very effective.

He is like a lot of our forwards no end product haynes sproul a big disappointment like so many johnson has signed

Guest pogopete

Clarkson is clearly going to be a good player... your obviously too impatient...

I suspect you wrote Nicky Maynard off last season??

I will say this about about Maynard 2.25 million looked a lot of money for him as for Clarkson He is not fit enough to slow no stamina and will driff of in the sunset in the end unless we get relegated then he might fit in.

And given that Forest offered allegedly £15k a week (Brian Laws pulled out of trying to sign him because he was being offered so much by Forest) he would have gone to them anyway.:disapointed2se:

I didn't realise it was all so straightforward. Agyemang and JCR are the only missing pieces of the play-off jigsaw and will apparently solve our defensive as well as attacking problems judging by your statement (I hope you are right by the way). So we should now EXPECT, with everything you say Gary has at his disposal, to see both results and entertaining football then!! I'm not rubbishing either player and I will certainly judge them on what they do in a red shirt but I just hope that the introduction of Agyemang doesn't stifle the development of the one young, exciting and "different" forward we have in John Akinde. I want to see a longer term plan not just a short term clutch of loan signings to sort out longer term problems in the short term only. I will be very disappointed if Akinde, who could provide a longer term solution to a long term problem IF we give him a chance to prove it, is sat in the stands tonight and not even given a slot on the bench - unfortunately I think I will be disappointed when the team sheet is read out but, of course, hope to be wrong.

I don't think there is a rift between Lansdown and Johnson but I can guarantee that the days when Johnson is allowed to waste £1 million on non-performing centre-forwards with a sell-on value of NIL are over.

Next time you speak with Steve Lansdown - give him my best and thank him for what he's done will you?

Archived