IGNORED

Mr Lansdown's Choice

Loderingo

I wondered whether GJ might resign during my long journey back to Reading but it seems not. I realise a lot of people think that GJ should be sacked now but there are 2 important issues to consider 1) The effect 3/1/2 yrs of compensation would have on our finances and future transfer budget 2) The fact the Window closes on Saturday. As I see it Mr Lansdown has 3 options:

1) Do nothing - Either taking the view that this was just a blip or taking the view that there is no cash in the pot so will have to hope for the best. Pros: GJ might turn it around. Cons: Things could slide leading to a relegation dogfight or stagnation (also possible crowd protests). Harder to get ST renewals.

2) Sack the manager and coach - Taking the view that we have a good squad but badly coached/motivated. Pros: A new manager might turn the ship around as Irvine has done at Wednesday giving us still a chance for the playoffs and good crowds for the big teams at AG. Cons: The issue here is that paying off GJ and Millen will cost a large sum so he will need to find a manager who is able to work with less money as there is likely to be less available in the summer. The second issue is that as the Window closes on Saturday and as it will probably take a week to get a new manager, the new manager would likely have to make do with the squad we have (unless we could get an emergency loan)

3) Back the manager and shell out for a defender or defender (s) before the window shuts. Taking the view that the management is fine and that the defence is just not good enough / past it Pros: If we can get a new solid centre half and start keeping clean sheets, we might go on a good run with the improved attacking line up. Cheaper than sacking GJ. Cons: Won't fix the problem if dressing room motivation is the issue. Storing up problems for later with a massive wage bill and potentially even less funds if a new manager is still required.

Personally I think 3 is most likely but what are your views?

Archived