IGNORED

Goalkeepers?

bcfcmike

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Johnson's managerial record suggests he will either go with Colllis or maybe give Gerken one more go at being blamed for absolutely everything by his gutless back four (particularly Carey and Orr) and that Henderson will be led on the sofa watching Soccer Saturday at the weekend.

Interesting point there Greebo certainly Carey and Orr have been massive culprits of passing the buck on their own collective mistakes this season. Many times I have seen Hartley lay into both players - in paticular Orr. On a bit of a side tangent to this thread should Hartley be the captain do you think? He seems to be the only player on the pitch at times with that cutting, leaderlike edge.

That was Weale. I somehow doubt he'll get the nod on Saturday....

Henderson's two appearances for us have been at home as a sub against QPR and Ipswich.

It's funny how these things happen like when we sold Heffern to donnie then sold Lita too, I'm not saying it's anyones fault that it happend it's just funny though. My heart says Basso but even so thats the past now I agree that Gerken isn't a bad keeper and isn't helped with how how helpless the defence have been this season.

I can't believe Gerken is getting the stick he is for one mistake on Tuesday - Ive lost count of thenumber of pointshe has earned us this season with great saves.

To moan about his kicking and punching when comparing it to basso is also ridiculous, basso frightened to death of coming off his line and his kicking was a joke, costing goals on more than one occassion.

We should be cheering Gerken and booing Orr and McAllister for continually undermining his confidence by not reacting to his calls.

Some people have very short memories and attention sans.

To be fair to gerken he has saved our bacon a few times this season with some stunning saves. He seems to have lost a bit of confidence lately though and what doesnt help is that, like McAllister and Orr, he has no direct competition with GJ refusing to give Basso another go.

And before anyone starts about Basso not wanting to play and he should never play again blah blah blah, I honestly believe that he does want to sign his contract, he does want to play for Bristol City, but as he doesn't get on with GJ and has stood up to him in the past (allegedly) he feels he is being forced out.

So, to answer to the original question, I would put Basso back in goal. He is the best keeper in the club, the defence appear more confident when he is behind them, and he gives the crowd a lift.

Interesting point there Greebo certainly Carey and Orr have been massive culprits of passing the buck on their own collective mistakes this season. Many times I have seen Hartley lay into both players - in paticular Orr. On a bit of a side tangent to this thread should Hartley be the captain do you think? He seems to be the only player on the pitch at times with that cutting, leaderlike edge.

I think its good to have many voices of leadership on the field. There is only one csaptain but its good to have multiple leaders of voice who are leaders by doing.

I can't believe Gerken is getting the stick he is for one mistake on Tuesday - Ive lost count of thenumber of pointshe has earned us this season with great saves.

To moan about his kicking and punching when comparing it to basso is also ridiculous, basso frightened to death of coming off his line and his kicking was a joke, costing goals on more than one occassion.

We should be cheering Gerken and booing Orr and McAllister for continually undermining his confidence by not reacting to his calls.

Some people have very short memories and attention sans.

To be fair to Jamie McAllister when he is having a bad game he does not hide and he does not pass the buck. He will make mistake after mistake and keep coming back for more. Orr, Fontaine and Carey on the other hand could not wait to have a pop at Gerken on Tuesday night (and other matches too I have noticed), even when the mistake was clearly theirs, and then when both Hartley and Skuse laid into Orr for not giving them an outlet he starts arguing back with them as well. Nyatanga although still learning the game and tending to be error prone at times in my view is the only defender who really deserves a start on Saturday. If we had options available I would bomb the rest right out of the squad altogether.

First thing is whats the point in posting a poll without all 4 goalkeepers we have on the books?

I would have voted for Henderson had that been an option.

secondly, to all the Basso haters,remember, this time last season we had one of the top keepers in the Championship,

we now have three who are either unproven or struggling at this level.

Basso has been asked several times recently ' why won't you sign a new contract'

to which he has replied, many times ' don't beleive the lies'

Top manager play players they don't like, if it's for the good of the team.

The humble pie is waiting GJ

Henderson debut all that time ago against midbro in the cup .Murray goal of the decade .Fantastic performance by our young keeper.2-2.

Totally agree, a good young keeper plus the fact at 6' 4in he is our biggest goalie, moves well, I have absolute trust in him.

Deserves a chance IMHO.

To be fair to Jamie McAllister when he is having a bad game he does not hide and he does not pass the buck. He will make mistake after mistake and keep coming back for more. Orr, Fontaine and Carey on the other hand could not wait to have a pop at Gerken on Tuesday night (and other matches too I have noticed), even when the mistake was clearly theirs, and then when both Hartley and Skuse laid into Orr for not giving them an outlet he starts arguing back with them as well. Nyatanga although still learning the game and tending to be error prone at times in my view is the only defender who really deserves a start on Saturday. If we had options available I would bomb the rest right out of the squad altogether.

I suggest you watch the game again it is quite clear to see, Gerken run out of his 6 yard box to look like he is going to claim it and then hesitate and stop and then start approaching the ball again, the defender at this point had Chopra breathing down his neck in the box and had no other option, so actually it was Gerkens fault and they had every right to have a go at him for yet another poor error by him!

I suggest you watch the game again it is quite clear to see, Gerken run out of his 6 yard box to look like he is going to claim it and then hesitate and stop and then start approaching the ball again, the defender at this point had Chopra breathing down his neck in the box and had no other option, so actually it was Gerkens fault and they had every right to have a go at him for yet another poor error by him!

Who was talking about the first goal? I was talking about every other error that Carey and Orr made throughout the game that they looked to blame someone else for. And there were plenty to choose from. You have got such a short memory and the likes of you never raised your head above the parapet when Gerken was earning us points a few weeks back. But you are quite happy to lay right into him now. And yet you were so self righteous when other supporters laid into Lee Johnson - they weren't proper supporters were they but it's OK to have a pop at Gerken and be a proper supporter? People like you only know how to scapegoat when it suits. You should try supporting the club and not just the Johnson family.

And when you use terms like "yet another" lets see if you have the balls to name ALL of these errors he has made. Don't go down the "too many to remember route" - start naming and shaming all of these errors which have cost us points BEFORE Tuesday night. And then compare the number you can come up with OVER THE WHOLE SEASON against the number of misplaced passes and crosses Bradley Orr makes IN ANY ONE GAME or the number of times Carey hoofs the ball aimlessly down the field or gets beat by his centre forward at the moment IN ANY ONE GAME.

Who was talking about the first goal? I was talking about every other error that Carey and Orr made throughout the game that they looked to blame someone else for. And there were plenty to choose from. You have got such a short memory and the likes of you never raised your head above the parapet when Gerken was earning us points a few weeks back. But you are quite happy to lay right into him now. And yet you were so self righteous when other supporters laid into Lee Johnson - they weren't proper supporters were they but it's OK to have a pop at Gerken and be a proper supporter? People like you only know how to scapegoat when it suits. You should try supporting the club and not just the Johnson family.

And when you use terms like "yet another" lets see if you have the balls to name ALL of these errors he has made. Don't go down the "too many to remember route" - start naming and shaming all of these errors which have cost us points BEFORE Tuesday night. And then compare the number you can come up with OVER THE WHOLE SEASON against the number of misplaced passes and crosses Bradley Orr makes IN ANY ONE GAME or the number of times Carey hoofs the ball aimlessly down the field or gets beat by his centre forward at the moment IN ANY ONE GAME.

come on greebo, that is about impossible, why dont you list all the saves that gerkin has made which are above and beyond the call of duty that any other championship keeper wouldnt have made?

come on greebo, that is about impossible, why dont you list all the saves that gerkin has made which are above and beyond the call of duty that any other championship keeper wouldnt have made?

Counago - Ipswich in the last minute without even thinking.

There was one world class save he made against Peterbrough low to his right.

I can remember an amazing double save he made (against Reading I think) albeit the second shot was offside but nobody knew that.

The reflex save from Guthrie at Newcastle.

The header from Nolan at Newcastle.

I would have to check for others but perhaps others can remind me, and you perhaps could point out to me how many other Championship keepers don't make errors. I will point out to you that there are only TWO keepers in the Championship who are GENUINELY commanding and they are Lee Camp and Steve Harper.

And I remember a Gary Johnson post match comment where he specifically pointed out that Gerken performed "beyond the call of duty".

Counago - Ipswich in the last minute without even thinking.

There was one world class save he made against Peterbrough low to his right.

I can remember an amazing double save he made (against Reading I think) albeit the second shot was offside but nobody knew that.

The reflex save from Guthrie at Newcastle.

The header from Nolan at Newcastle.

I would have to check for others but perhaps others can remind me, and you perhaps could point out to me how many other Championship keepers don't make errors. I will point out to you that there are only TWO keepers in the Championship who are GENUINELY commanding and they are Lee Camp and Steve Harper.

And I remember a Gary Johnson post match comment where he specifically pointed out that Gerken performed "beyond the call of duty".

There isnt a man alive who doesnt make errors, You opinion is that there are only 2 keepers in the championship who are genuinely commanding, I would add a few more, if I may? Marshall at cardiff, although when he plays us he doesnt have to be, Weale is technically very strong, Lewis and Westwood are both young keepers who are highly rated, De Vries at Swansea doesnt let many in, Carson at West Brom is young and has played for england, and regardless of letting in a goal or 2 at wembley against croatia is certainly one of the best in this league, Paddy Kenny was always consistent before his ban. Everyone of them at some point this season will have pulled off miraculous saves, and I would guess that not many of them have let 6 in in one game?

There isnt a man alive who doesnt make errors, You opinion is that there are only 2 keepers in the championship who are genuinely commanding, I would add a few more, if I may? Marshall at cardiff, although when he plays us he doesnt have to be, Weale is technically very strong, Lewis and Westwood are both young keepers who are highly rated, De Vries at Swansea doesnt let many in, Carson at West Brom is young and has played for england, and regardless of letting in a goal or 2 at wembley against croatia is certainly one of the best in this league, Paddy Kenny was always consistent before his ban. Everyone of them at some point this season will have pulled off miraculous saves, and I would guess that not many of them have let 6 in in one game?

I'm not calling them bad keepers or even saying that Gerken is better than them at the moment but Marshall, Weale, Lewis, Westwood and De Vries are anything but commanding in my view. Kenny, when his head is right, and Carson you might have a point but even Carson makes his fair share of basic errors. I would be willing to bet that every single one of them has let in six goals at some point in their Goalkeeping careers but we may be better off agreeing to disagree and not being a pair of Saddo's this afternoon looking up the records!!! I still think that Harper and Camp are easily the two best Keepers in this league.

I'm not calling them bad keepers or even saying that Gerken is better than them at the moment but Marshall, Weale, Lewis, Westwood and De Vries are anything but commanding in my view. Kenny, when his head is right, and Carson you might have a point but even Carson makes his fair share of basic errors. I would be willing to bet that every single one of them has let in six goals at some point in their Goalkeeping careers but we may be better off agreeing to disagree and not being a pair of Saddo's this afternoon looking up the records!!! I still think that Harper and Camp are easily the two best Keepers in this league.

yep, sounds good!

From a fellow keepers point of view if I may?

Marshall = Flapper Phillips in disguise

Weale = Probably the pick of the bunch. Would love (in a hypothetical world) him back here to compete with Gerken for number 1 spot.

De Vries = Has strong defence in front of him but is very suspect when put under true pressure

Carson = Over rated but decent enough. Joe Hart is by far a better prospect for the national side though imo.

Paddy Kenny = Overweight, loud mouth little *****. Incapable of catching either.

Weale and maybe Carson are the only two I would take their over Gerken.

It appears to me that the defenders don't know where Gerken is due to lack of communication. He shouts when the ball is being played out of our half but he doesn't seem to 'call out' for things such as crosses or through balls etc.

If the defenders don't know where he is, then they're all going to suffer at the back.

Bring in another guy to stake a claim, they won't be much worse and let him concentrate on improving on the training gound, not pissing the defence up.

Good shot stoppers don't make good goalies, there are many other attributes to have in goal.

Collis or Henderson I don't care.

This is a pointless poll as Basso has clearly indicated his desire to leave City by not signing a contract and he will be leaving us by the weekend

We have not seen enough of Collis to make a judgement if GJ thinks he's ready he will step in and replace Gerken who has been poor in recent weeks.

Basso has a contract, for which is perfectly entitled to wait until the end of it, to see what he wants to do. The only surprising thing about this situation that GJ created, is, he hasn't yet blamed the fans.

i don't seem to remember a poll about goalkeepers when basso was dropping clangers!

didn't he let 6 in at ipswich?

i've never understood the hero worship of basso who is just an average keeper.

I do. I remember when he let in two goals in two minutes at Bradford City during our promotion season when Basso received the same slating from people that Gerken is now. All that is conveniently forgotten and he was always as good as Gordon Banks now that Gerken is have a shaky time.

Archived