IGNORED

Tactics

foghornred

city.gif Just a few words on the tactics that we used at Middlesbrough.

After the 6-0 the main priority was to keep a clean sheet and with a system of 3 center backs and wing backs we managed to achieve this.

We never really looked in trouble with this formation but it turned into 5 at the back as Orr kept with Johnson (good job) and McAllister kept with Flood (fair job).

The only concerns that I had were the set pieces as we could not stop Wheater getting his head on the ball and the fact that on 2 or 3 occasions Campbell-ryce was left marking Chris Killen on the far post, 5'7" v 6' only one winner.

My main concern came when they had a man sent off as this is the point when we should have gone for the WIN.

On 64 Min's they substituted Justin Hoyte and replaced him with Julio Arca,(thats a left back for a midfielder) and surprisingly played him at left back,it took Gary eleven minutes to notice this and bring on Ivan Sproule to give him a test and in the last few minutes he breeze past Arca to create a few chances to win it,

Why was he not brought on on 65 Min's to take advantage ?

A good draw could have been a great WIN !

We only had a clean sheet because Middlesbrough were so profligate in front of goal, it could easily have been a high score defeat. Just be grateful that there aren't many teams with forwards like Chopra & Whittingham. The big difference was that we did not roll over & die or hand it to them on a plate. It was an improvement over Tuesday, but not a sea change. Meanwhile we still struggle to create clear cut chances at the other end. 3 years into promotion & we are light years from a solid, balanced squad capable of kicking on. If you calculate our rolling 46 game points total we are steadily getting worse not better, we are not even standing still.

I have always thought that gj and km take forever to make the right tatical decision but what we must remember which I think sometimes we forget is that gj knows his players inside out trains with them knows if they buckle under certain circumstances and chooses his team around that. Which is why we have half the fans moaning about team selection and the other half happy with what he's picked. One things for sure he's not picking a team that he thinks is going to lose he's picking the team he thinks will do the best job on the day. Maybe he should have brought sproule on sooner but maybe he knew with the team low on confidence it was better to be safe than sorry. Imagine what state the players would be in had we lost and knowing they would have 13000 home fans to contend with this Saturday against cov. I predict a disaster but now maybe just maybe we might be able to turn this season round

Archived