IGNORED

Haynes And Clarkson

GrahamC

Virtually the only positive from today's bore draw was the performance of these two subs.

Haynes was given MoM, and no surprise, too, because he at least tried to make things happen, by running at the opposition, closing down and being prepared to be positive. Perhaps he should have done better when intercepting that back pass (though I doubt any of our other front runners would have even reached it) but at least he got there.

Clarkson can do no more in 15 minutes than score and have another header just off target, both deserve a chance on Tuesday, possibly as a new front two?

I don't know what Haynes has to do to start week in and week out.

Considering one of Johnson's favourite soundbites is "affect the game", this player made an immediate impact and, for me, does so every time he plays.

He is passionate, pacy and persistent and is obviously upset when he misses or things don't go as planned. All in all, a 'typical' Johnson player, yet he struggles to hold his place!

When he came on the pace of the game improved along with the spectacle. He was very dangerous after replacing Maynard and playing centrally, running at defenders and causing a lot of trouble, but when Clarkson came on for Nyatanga and he was pushed out wide, he wasn't so effective.

I was also gobsmacked by Sno being replaced by Sproule. At the time Hartley and Sno were bossing central midfield and Sno was finally showing some of his potential in his favoured position - what's that all about?

Sno may not have much pace, but he is so strong in holding the ball in midfield to allow players to catch up and link in, especially when coming out of defence - we lost that when he went off.

As someone else said, Clarkson showed enough in the 15 minutes or so he had to warrant another chance, surely?

Since Johnson doesn't seem to know his best strike partnership at the moment and Maynard is a bit off-form, we can't do any worse than try Clarkson and Haynes up front. I'd also like to see more of the Hartley Sno midfield partnership too.

You say all this yet absolutely no praise for Johnson making the subs in the first place. Says it all really

Probably because he thinks we would have been better off had they been on the pitch from the start!!! I cant understand for the life of me why Haynes is on the bench, for me he has been one of our more impressive players this season and the Man of the Match nomination he got after only playing 35 minutes says it all really.

I don't know what Haynes has to do to start week in and week out.

I think he was consistently starting until the Cardiff drubbing. GJ said he wasn't got to play anyone who wasn't mentally fit. Maybe that's it?

I'd also like to know why JCR is being played on the right not left. Is it because Haynes doesn't track back?

Surely it was forced on him, Maynard picked up a knock, I doubt that Haynes for Maynard was being discussed as a stroke of tactical genius.

I doubt it was too and I must say I was surprised when Sno was taken off as IMO he was the best player on the pitch at the time. However I thought Sproule did well and of course Clarkson scored. My original point was not that Johnson wasn't being praised by anyone because everyone won't admit that he did his job. It was that no one was prepared to congratulate him full stop. For me it shows that he has lost a vast majority of the fans

Well taken goal for Clarkson, Haynes was effective as ever. I'd be tempted to start them both next game, rest Maynard and send Agyemang back (as he offers nothing Saborio and Akinde don't).

Very cool finish. Team looked more likely to score once we went behind had to come out to win. Next couple of matches may be tough but there is enough quality in the squad to do well this year.

I totally agree with SimplyRed. However, I am surprised that no one is commenting on how Sproule affected the game yesterday. He caused so much trouble with his pace and going past players it is amzing that he is not starting

Cos when he's picked from the start he has a mare and when he comes off the bench he has a blinder......he's an impact player imo!

I'd really like to see these two being given a run out up front together.

I thought Haynes was a real pain in the butt for the defenders when he came on against Coventry and he looked more dangerous than anyone else - hence the MotM award. He looked like he really wanted it.

Clarkson has never really been given the chance up front as part of a striking pair since he's been here. So far he's played just behind the two main strikers or on the left of a front three, but never as the 'poacher' alongside either a targetman or a pacier striker such as Haynes, who is able to create space.

What I like about Clarkson is that he's intelligent enough to find gaps and spaces and drifts into positions unmarked. Something all good goalscorers do. This is particularly useful when all the defenders are busy worrying about Haynes' pace, Clarkson can just drift about. He also looks like a good finisher, judging by Saturday's goal.

As much as I like Maynard, he's clearly been lacking form and confidence lately, and I think he needs a bit of a rest. I think he's started every game so far and the injury he got on Saturday may actually be a blessing in disguise, allowing us to change tact a bit.

Our attack has got a bit stale lately and whilst we're creating things, we've never really looked like scoring - not until Haynes and Clarkson were partnered up front on Saturday. These two are the two on form and high on confidence, so let's see them being given a chance...

I think both Haynes and Clarkson will start on tuesday night!

I think they both effected the game well and could be a great pairing together!

As for GJ not getting any praise? Well lets just say the man is in a no win situation, he makes subs to effect the game gets slated, doesn't make changes and gets slated. Lets just face it he WILL NEVER please all the fans all the time, and he makes sometimes very difficult changes and decisions for reasons sometimes we may know nothing about?

I think sometimes you can tell people in this forum who watch football but have never been envolved with it or played it. Its sometimes not as clear cut as making obvious changes. Teams may make changes which then Johnson has to consider? If this means taking sno off to effect a different part of the pitch etc then it has to be done!!!

COME ON ME BABBEERRSSSS!!!!

I'd love to see Haynes, Maynard, Clarkson and JCR on the pitch at the same time. Not exactly sure how this could happen though.

4-4-2 is the usual way. ;)

For me, you'd have to have Sno and Hartley too, which would leave us quite wide open, defensively.

Clarkson's had 2 or 3 starts and has been bad enough to be subbed. Missed Saturday's game and hope he's turned a big corner.

What's pissed me off most about the Agyemang signing is the fact that Haynes, are most dangerous player for a while imo was dropped. Love to see Haynes and Clarko start the next game now Nicky's injured but I very much doubt they will, I think GJ will persist with Agyemang until he has a decent performance, a matter of pride.

Archived