IGNORED

Bring Back Basso

cityfan

Esmond is right in stating that Basso has put in a written transfer request.

That's what the club say, it may be right.

Esmond is probably right that Basso is nearly 35 and has played in 4 games this season. Can't be bothered to check this out.

He said a year, that's clearly wrong.

All I'm saying is that a vitriolic personal attack like Esmond's is a very poor way to behave without hearing the other side of the story.

If anyone thinks the club haven't "managed the message" or "spun the shit out of this" they're being naive.

There will be another side to the story and it will not be the case that the club are whiter than white and Basso is a traitorous devil.

All I'm saying is that a vitriolic personal attack like Esmond's is a very poor way to behave without hearing the other side of the story.

If anyone thinks the club haven't "managed the message" or "spun the shit out of this" they're being naive.

There will be another side to the story and it will not be the case that the club are whiter than white and Basso is a traitorous devil.

I thinks that you are right.

he is compared to gerken

He was good but has made many many more flaps and mistakes than Gerken. Granted Gerkens form dipped in the three matches against Cardiff but I see no reason to bring Basso back into the side at the moment. Gerken hasn't exactly done anything wrong over the last three games. Was anyone actually expecting to beat Watford last night? I wasn't that's for sure.

Gerken does not command his area, in fact he rarely leaves his line. We lack a commanding centre-back, so we are vulnerable every time the ball is knocked into the box. Gerken is a great shot-stopper, but at the moment, we need a keeper who can command his area and instil confidence in the defence. I think that we are badly missing Basso, and I don't know or care what is going on behind the scenes, but City staying in the Championship is far more important than the egos of Messrs Basso and Johnson. In any case, City are paying Basso to do a job, not sit on his butt watching Jeremy Kyle!

Gerken does not command his area, in fact he rarely leaves his line. We lack a commanding centre-back, so we are vulnerable every time the ball is knocked into the box. Gerken is a great shot-stopper, but at the moment, we need a keeper who can command his area and instil confidence in the defence. I think that we are badly missing Basso, and I don't know or care what is going on behind the scenes, but City staying in the Championship is far more important than the egos of Messrs Basso and Johnson. In any case, City are paying Basso to do a job, not sit on his butt watching Jeremy Kyle!

Basso was commanding?

More experienced yes and perhaps slightly better on decision making but to say he was commanding is just...well I can't think of describing it without using profanity. Never instilled confidence in myself when he was dealing with crosses.

What will be indisputable at the end of all of this is if Basso has adopted his stance so as to be able to tell his side once he is out of contract, Where will he/we be, Well absolutely no closer to the truth that's for sure, unless Basso has some documentary evidence to prove his version of events (and I fail to see what that could possibly be) the only real piece of documentary evidence will be 'the written transfer request', That i'm sure even a poorly run club like BCFC (apparently) would not invent, unless the SC discover SL or CS have destroyed it of course, anything else will be he said/she said and guess what Basso will be 1 year older, having played only '4 LEAGUE GAMES IN A SEASON' (sorry for my original mistake).

What will be indisputable at the end of all of this is if Basso has adopted his stance so as to be able to tell his side once he is out of contract, Where will he/we be, Well absolutely no closer to the truth that's for sure, unless Basso has some documentary evidence to prove his version of events (and I fail to see what that could possibly be) the only real piece of documentary evidence will be 'the written transfer request', That i'm sure even a poorly run club like BCFC (apparently) would not invent, unless the SC discover SL or CS have destroyed it of course, anything else will be he said/she said and guess what Basso will be 1 year older, having played only '4 LEAGUE GAMES IN A SEASON' (sorry for my original mistake).

I'm not saying there isn't a written transfer request, I'm just pointing out that most of your "indisputable facts" are things that originate with the club talking to the press. Basso hasn't done so other than to say he is unhappy and wants to move on (sky sports late last year).

Of course if Basso decides to tell his side of the story there's no way to tell if it's true. I doubt he will spill the beans because he'll be wanting to concentrate on the future. But you don't seem to apply the principal of being skeptical about a story with no evidence evenhandedly, just slaughter Basso without much if any foundation and that's what I was pointing out.

There is definitely another version of events - do you really think that in a situation like this any blame rests 100% on one party as the club would have you believe? You've as much as said that Basso's actions make no sense at all - usually a good indication there is something you don't know.

I'm not saying there isn't a written transfer request, I'm just pointing out that most of your "indisputable facts" are things that originate with the club talking to the press. Basso hasn't done so other than to say he is unhappy and wants to move on (sky sports late last year).

Of course if Basso decides to tell his side of the story there's no way to tell if it's true. I doubt he will spill the beans because he'll be wanting to concentrate on the future. But you don't seem to apply the principal of being skeptical about a story with no evidence evenhandedly, just slaughter Basso without much if any foundation and that's what I was pointing out.

There is definitely another version of events - do you really think that in a situation like this any blame rests 100% on one party as the club would have you believe? You've as much as said that Basso's actions make no sense at all - usually a good indication there is something you don't know.

As usual you make very good points, However I find it unbelievable that a 34 year old championship goalkeeper, with barely 4 years league experience would play Russian roulette with a notoriously short career associated with a footballer, it will remain to be seen whether he will recover from this and fulfill his 'dreams', somehow I doubt it, I think for Basso BCFC was as good as it gets.

As usual you make very good points, However I find it unbelievable that a 34 year old championship goalkeeper, with barely 4 years league experience would play Russian roulette with a notoriously short career associated with a footballer, it will remain to be seen whether he will recover from this and fulfill his 'dreams', somehow I doubt it, I think for Basso BCFC was as good as it gets.

I also find it unbelievable that Basso genuinely believed he'd get a prem move and would risk his career and a lucrative contract for it - which is why I think there's more to it.

Getting back to original premise of this thread, Do you believe playing Basso would serve any purpose, I think it's ridiculous, it would never work things have gone too far.

He's a better keeper, it will depend really on how the rest of the team feel about him. If the back four are more comfortable it would work. If he's not got the confidence of his teammates it would be disastrous. I think he was very important to the dressing room so I doubt his teammates have turned on him.

FFS, There is only one place to 'bury the Basso hatchet' and that is where it belongs in the traitor Senor Basso himself, Whatever the rights and wrongs Basso wrote the transfer request himself, unless of course the SC conspiracy theorists believe GJ forged it. So once and for all what do we know about this.

1) Basso slaps in a WRITTEN transfer request and just to put the boot in just before the season starts.

2) His own agent said Basso should have signed the new contract on offer.

3) Basso is transfer listed.

4) NO OFFERS or ENQUIRIES.

5) Gerken gets injured, Basso plays, The club confirms they are still talking to Basso.

6) Basso refuses to change his position and is dropped when Gerken returns to fitness.

7) Still NO OFFERS or ENQUIRIES.

8) Basso now says that the club did'nt inform him of a premier league club offer for him, Strange one that unless BCFC won a high court super gagging order, How come the media did'nt report this one, You can't fart in the premier league without the media finding out.

9) Basso is banned from the dressing room.

10) Basso's agent claims that there is a club who want to sign him, but only if BCFC tear up his contract, BCFC call his bluff and guess what NO OFFER.

11) January's window opens and NO OFFERS or ENQUIRIES, Sorry yes of course i'm forgetting the mighty Premier League club Exeter and Basso turned them down.

12) The emergency loan window opens, So far NO OFFERS or ENQUIRIES.

13) Basso will be 35 in April and has had virtually a year out of the game, The position of goalkeeper is probably the most technical of all of the positions on the pitch and a year out will almost certainly make his return more difficult, You only have to look at how long it took for him to get to the position he was in before he blew it, it probably took around 4 to 6 months before the fans thought he was better than 'flapper' and many during that time called for 'flappers' return.

14) I think Basso has become deluded about his own ability, Dreams are fine, But need to be achievable. Premier league or international standard he ain't and a year out scratching his arse won't help.

He's gone and he's a traitor, good riddance.

Well said that man

Archived