IGNORED

My Biggest Concern

Dastardly and Muttley

My greatest concern after last night's debacle in the first half, was that this was not some "whim" of a formation that happened because of injuries to JCR and DH. I have seen several people state that Johnson sent the team out with an abysmal tactical plan, and that if he ever plays that formation again, he should go.

What worries me, is that this formation was actually our "Plan A", going into the season, not just some rush job to cope with bad circumstances.

Look at the line-up for the Preston game on day one, only the strikers are totally different, the rest stays essentially the same.

---------------------------------------Gerken

------------Fontaine--------------Carey --------------Nyatanga

Orr ------------------------------------------------------------------------McAllister

-----------------------Elliott-------------------Hartley

------------------------------------Clarkson

----------------------Maynard----------------Haynes

For last night, simply swap Hartley for Skuse, and change the injured front two.

That was effectively the side we built for this season, and it was a complete farce from minutes 1-45.

This above all else concerns me most about last night's result, and has made me question GJ's ability to take us forward. If a system that he worked on so hard over the pre-season can fail, even now a few months later, you have to ask a few questions.

My greatest concern after last night's debacle in the first half, was that this was not some "whim" of a formation that happened because of injuries to JCR and DH. I have seen several people state that Johnson sent the team out with an abysmal tactical plan, and that if he ever plays that formation again, he should go.

What worries me, is that this formation was actually our "Plan A", going into the season, not just some rush job to cope with bad circumstances.

Look at the line-up for the Preston game on day one, only the strikers are totally different, the rest stays essentially the same.

Orr ------------------------------------------------------------------------McAllister

For last night, simply swap Hartley for Skuse, and change the injured front two.

That was effectively the side we built for this season, and it was a complete farce from minutes 1-45.

This above all else concerns me most about last night's result, and has made me question GJ's ability to take us forward. If a system that he worked on so hard over the pre-season can fail, even now a few months later, you have to ask a few questions.

We played well that day and did so for a fair few games though......

We played well that day and did so for a fair few games though......

We squandered a two goal lead that day after subbing Hartley. This week the same formation was played without Hartley and we were battered for 45 minutes.

If playing that formation, we need him in there as an experienced head to boss the midfield. My point was, that this formation was our main plan for the season. Why did the plan fail so spectacularly that it was seen by many as a "joke" formation this week? To the point where GJ himself admitted he got it wrong and "held his hands up".

Sorry GJ, but this was your main plan for the season - in which we stated top two was our aim. Now, 3/4 of the way through the season, we're admitting that plan A was an absolute shambles, that the players didn't understand and that didn't really fit our squad.

I have been a huge supporter of GJ, and thank him for his work with us, but feel it's time for a change. Plan A did not work, Plan B should have been in place, but seemingly wasn't. It may now be here with the arrival of JCR, but there should have been some alternative there at the season's start. (Before anyone mentions him, Blackman was always touted as one for the mid-long term future.)

It worked well apparently on the opening day, but with those players it would. That side could turn defence into attack very quickly. This could'nt have happened with the side tuesday.

Also the midfield - Hartley and Elliott will cover alot of ground. Skuse does to, but lee johnson was not the man for the job and it was obvious we would get over-run in midfield.

Every team needs time to adjust to a new formation, how can our players do that when the formation is so 'fluid' that it changes every 20 minutes?

With the players we have avaliable to us as a championship club, surely the best thing is KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid!

The right player in the right position with enough time to prove his worth, or otherwise. We can all name 5 or 6 players who do not get enough game time who could really help - or have helped the cause.

Football really is a simple game made complicated by fools!

Archived