IGNORED

...still Only One Team In Bristol

DolmanRed

I've been a city fan since my dad took me to Ashton Gate to watch the late George best play in a testimonial match.

The mists of time have since clouded the circumstances surrounding this, who's testimonial?(surely not his?) what year? what decade even??

But there are two things that stand with me to this day: the first,the joy of watching Besty play. Though dad told me he was at the end of his career,which had been destroyed by the excesses of being the first celebrity footballer, he completely mesmerised me - the ease at which he still waltzed past defenders, his one-touch passing and just his confidence showed me that this man was once a footballing great.

The second being that on this day -I tied my colours to the mast and decided that Bristol City were to be MY team.

Though Its been a rocky road and shamefully I've been an armchair supporter throughout most of it,I managed to make the occaisional game and both Freight Rover Trophy Finals.

I ran out of excuses when city made the championship and have been a season ticket holder ever since, and plan to renew no-matter where city end up next season.

As we all know the last couple of seasons have been difficult to watch,But I must admit, I do feel a little 'spoilt' complaining about the state of our championship football, as there are supporters who have followed this club DOWN through every division - can you imagine the games that these campaigners have had to enjure! - it certainly brings me perspective on our current situation.

I agree that that Gary Johnson has lost his way and the players certainly seem demotivated.Its difficult being a supporter right now, there was more atosmphere in space that at the gate on Saturday!

..but there is something worse than poor Championship football:

...poor leaque 1 football

Being a keen follower of this forum it does sadden me to see the conflict our current poor form is causing,and agree the football has been difficult to watch,

but i've decided that if I can't support the manager,the players or even the chairman

then I will support MY CLUB - Bristol City

STILL, The ONLY team in Bristol.

Proberly the wise choice thats what i do now i don't care who goe's apart from Steve Lansdown we have all seen various players come and go over the years,Scott Murray was the last whole hearted player we had gave his all until it was obvious he could no longer cut it at this level,with all the back biting and mud-slinging between Johnson and various ex-players since he has been here i really don't care any more about any of them. As said before by so many we were here before any of them and a lot will be here when they have gone,got a feeling the game you mentioned might have been for Chris Garland remember waiting after the game and asking him to get me George's autograph as you said what a player even then.

Proberly the wise choice thats what i do now i don't care who goe's apart from Steve Lansdown we have all seen various players come and go over the years,Scott Murray was the last whole hearted player we had gave his all until it was obvious he could no longer cut it at this level,with all the back biting and mud-slinging between Johnson and various ex-players since he has been here i really don't care any more about any of them. As said before by so many we were here before any of them and a lot will be here when they have gone,got a feeling the game you mentioned might have been for Chris Garland remember waiting after the game and asking him to get me George's autograph as you said what a player even then.

But there are two things that stand with me to this day: the first,the joy of watching Besty play. Though dad told me he was at the end of his career,which had been destroyed by the excesses of being the first celebrity footballer, he completely mesmerised me - the ease at which he still waltzed past defenders, his one-touch passing and just his confidence showed me that this man was once a footballing great.

For a second there I thought you meant BETSY! LOLOLOLOLOL bounce.gifbounce.gif

For a second there I thought you meant BETSY! LOLOLOLOLOL bounce.gifbounce.gif

HAha What in a 'frank spencer' kind of way - schoolboy fantasy was she?

Seriously- have checked and Chris Garlands testiomonial was in 1993, the one I watched was late 70;s easrly 90's - does anybody know who this was for?

HAha What in a 'frank spencer' kind of way - schoolboy fantasy was she?

Seriously- have checked and Chris Garlands testiomonial was in 1993, the one I watched was late 70;s easrly 90's - does anybody know who this was for?

23rd August 1982.

By coincidence the match is featured in this week's 'Taking the Mic' blog on the official site.

Archived