IGNORED

Championship Standard Leadership ?

Keepers Ball

Yes another thread but Im want to come from a different angle here.

For some time even now after this awful form there are those that believe Johnson is the man. Those very same people probably claim certain players are not championship standard. McCombe, McCallister, Sproule, Johnson Jnr and even Bradley Orr.

Well why cant be the same said of the Manager ?

In the three seasons we have been in the Championship we have been there with players that are not apparently championship standard. Well for me Gary Johnson is equal to those players. He's had his peak by getting us to the Play-off final which nobody can disagree we punched above our weight.

For the past three seasons our goalscoring has been terrible and yet nothing has been done to address this. On top of this there was the failure to bolster the team in the play off year and this year a winger was sold without replacement.

An exciting signing in Evander Sno is played out of position out wide to try and rectify this. It then took 5-6 months to finally get a winger in something that should have been done at the start of the season.

We have had constant player chnages some needless. A cracking 4-2 win versus Preston which was easily the best performance of the season was followed up with four changes with only one down to injury !

On evidence just looking at the team it just seems they have no heart. Compare this to the Play off year. The honeymoon period where every player was on a high and fought for everything. We didnt score many but we certainly didnt concede many either. There was a definate never-say-die attitude. Now this has gone and I firmly believe the team no longer have faith in the Manager.

In a nutshell a change is definately needed. Forget Curbishley and coppell. Like I said before Curbishley would rather be a Prem manager and Coppell gives me the impression he cannot be arsed. ( changed his mind at Man city after a few days and wanted to resign when he failed to keep Reading in the Premier League).

The man we want has experience Internationally as well as domestic in The Premier League, Championship, lower divisions and in the SPL

Step forward George Burley..

GeorgeBurleyPA_468x518.jpg

Yes another thread but Im want to come from a different angle here.

For some time even now after this awful form there are those that believe Johnson is the man. Those very same people probably claim certain players are not championship standard. McCombe, McCallister, Sproule, Johnson Jnr and even Bradley Orr.

Well why cant be the same said of the Manager ?

In the three seasons we have been in the Championship we have been there with players that are not apparently championship standard. Well for me Gary Johnson is equal to those players. He's had his peak by getting us to the Play-off final which nobody can disagree we punched above our weight.

For the past three seasons our goalscoring has been terrible and yet nothing has been done to address this. On top of this there was the failure to bolster the team in the play off year and this year a winger was sold without replacement.

An exciting signing in Evander Sno is played out of position out wide to try and rectify this. It then took 5-6 months to finally get a winger in something that should have been done at the start of the season.

We have had constant player chnages some needless. A cracking 4-2 win versus Preston which was easily the best performance of the season was followed up with four changes with only one down to injury !

On evidence just looking at the team it just seems they have no heart. Compare this to the Play off year. The honeymoon period where every player was on a high and fought for everything. We didnt score many but we certainly didnt concede many either. There was a definate never-say-die attitude. Now this has gone and I firmly believe the team no longer have faith in the Manager.

In a nutshell a change is definately needed. Forget Curbishley and coppell. Like I said before Curbishley would rather be a Prem manager and Coppell gives me the impression he cannot be arsed. ( changed his mind at Man city after a few days and wanted to resign when he failed to keep Reading in the Premier League).

The man we want has experience Internationally as well as domestic in The Premier League, Championship, lower divisions and in the SPL

Step forward George Burley..

GeorgeBurleyPA_468x518.jpg

Silly suggestion IMO.

Qpr was our best performance.

Of the games I have seen (only 3 at home and this one on the web admittedly), Middlesborough at home certainly trumped the displays v Reading, S****horpe and Carlisle. Though, the pre season display v Wolves was very encouraging but alas was only a friendly.

Irrelevant. OK you dont agree at my choice of game but that isnt the main topic of the subject

Im what way ? Go check his stats on Wikipedia

Already have. His record for Scotland was similar to Johnson's recent record. Yes, Scotland aren't exactly blessed with World Class players to put it mildly, but he was taking them backwards (ask the majority of Scots!). If we want to see attacking football, he wouldn't be one of my top targets. Also concerned about his off the pitch antics. I won't be specific as I don't want to make potentially libelous statements on the forum, but according to several Saints fans (including some in the supporters club with very close links to players), he has had problems off the pitch.

Perhaps, I'll leave the libel case to the Torygraph ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2334050/Burley-sacked-for-not-going-to-alcohol-clinic.html

Already have. His record for Scotland was similar to Johnson's recent record. Yes, Scotland aren't exactly blessed with World Class players to put it mildly, but he was taking them backwards (ask the majority of Scots!). If we want to see attacking football, he wouldn't be one of my top targets. Also concerned about his off the pitch antics. I won't be specific as I don't want to make potentially libelous statements on the forum, but according to several Saints fans (including some in the supporters club with very close links to players), he has had problems off the pitch.

Perhaps, I'll leave the libel case to the Torygraph ...

http://www.telegraph...hol-clinic.html

That was four years ago. Not heard anything since.

And as for the Scotland debacle maybe international isnt his forte. Look at Steve McLaren . Done well at Boro, shite with England and doing wonders at FC Twente.

That was four years ago. Not heard anything since.

And as for the Scotland debacle maybe international isnt his forte. Look at Steve McLaren . Done well at Boro, shite with England and doing wonders at FC Twente.

Might well have been and certainly wouldn't hold the history of such a problem against him (if true of course), but as I said Saints fans seem to indicate a similar problem more recently. Maybe he is better suited to club football, as his previous record at Hearts and Ipswich indicated. However, I think it would be a huge risk to take on a manager whose most recent record (i.e, that as Scotland boss) was so abysmal. I also think Burley would struggle to retain the respect of players.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7848073.stm

It also seems that some of his recent tactics for Scotland were very negative. Playing one up front when at home, etc ... It seems strange that this is a criticism of Johnson (not playing one up front, but generally sitting back, even when at home) and yet we would want to replace him with someone who would probably be equally as negative, if not more so.

Might well have been and certainly wouldn't hold the history of such a problem against him (if true of course), but as I said Saints fans seem to indicate a similar problem more recently. Maybe he is better suited to club football, as his previous record at Hearts and Ipswich indicated. However, I think it would be a huge risk to take on a manager whose most recent record (i.e, that as Scotland boss) was so abysmal. I also think Burley would struggle to retain the respect of players.

http://news.bbc.co.u...als/7848073.stm

It also seems that some of his recent tactics for Scotland were very negative. Playing one up front when at home, etc ... It seems strange that this is a criticism of Johnson (not playing one up front, but generally sitting back, even when at home) and yet we would want to replace him with someone who would probably be equally as negative, if not more so.

Well I suppose it would be easy to chose one up front being that the Scottish national side isnt blessed with forwards. At least in club football hed have more of a choice.

Archived