IGNORED

Gj Must Not Be Allowed To Leave

Pete1975Legend

We haven't become a bad team overnight,

No we haven't become a bad team overnight, it has taken us a season and a half.

When GJ arrived he overhauled the playing side of the club; got rid of the drinking culture, instilled more discipline and fitness then completely rebuilt the squad and took us up.

That summer he left the defence alone as it had been the best in league one and rebuilt midfield with a proven Championship winger, a proven Scottish Prem winger and a league 1 player who proved to be an inspired signing. Rebuilding the forward line proved harder; there was a panic league one buy and after the season started an experienced striker to play alongside him. However the squad was a lot stronger.

The momentum of the previous season continued, as it often does with promoted clubs and we played consistently & well to be at the top, never destroying teams, but doing enough. In the January window we signed a good striker, as goals were continuing to be our main issue, but as the season ended injuries and some loss of form highlighted the lack of depth in the squad and we faltered. However, we acquitted ourselves well in the playoffs and looked forward to a summer of clearing out some underperforming players and bringing in more experience and quality to strengthen all areas of the squad so that we could kick on.

However, all we really got was another panic buy league 1 striker. And this is when the rot started. The league run in had showed that we needed further rebuilding to progress, but no significant action was taken to address this. We struggled, partly with "play off blues" but also with the fact that we had fallen behind other clubs in terms of strengthening the squad. Various loans happened, which failed to address any of the issues and we had a fairly uninspiring season, again with a very poor run of form in the final couple of months with glaring issues in all areas.

A lot of transfer activity in the summer, which bizarrely unbalanced the squad with, eg 6 centre midfielders but only 1 right back. Too many of the signings were young players "for the future" and with the exception of Hartley and Clarkson not enough proven experience - although it is arguable what experience in the SPL outside Celtic & Rangers actually proves.

To be fair we sacked Blackman (but I thought GJ was supposed to look players in the eye first) and we were then decimated by the viral infection which affected the squad for several months. However, that doesn't excuse the continual experimentation with tactics and formation. If you want to play wing backs, then bloody well buy some, you can't polish a turd. The continual fiddling with an unbalanced squad, poor signings and lack of tactical nous has put us in a downward spiral.

No, we haven't become bad overnight, we have taken our time & done a thorough job of it.

No, we haven't become bad overnight, we have taken our time & done a thorough job of it.

Warning signs were there at the end of last season. I saw just about every game home and away, and it was not good. This season I have been more selective away, unfortunately not selecting Leicester or Barnsley, but away matches are now a chore, and most of the emphasis is on finding good beer. I went to Boro, we created nothing, did not go to Watford but am reliably informed that we created nothing, and yesterday we also drew a blank. Ageymang has done absolutely nothing of note in over 4 games, but he is preferred to an £800K striker, who has also done little since signing. We have 6 strikers on the books, so we sign a 7th, does that mean that GJ admits his other strikers are poor, and that he has made bad signings? The defence was shocking yesterday, Nyatanga did not have a clue at left back, Gerken was not communicating, most notably as he laid out Fontaine.

Perhaps we should add to the above quote "and spent a lot of money to achieve this, despite which we have few saleable assets". If we go down, we won't even make a profit on Maynard.

Will we go down if GJ stays? Will we stay up if we bring in another manager?

If we stick with what we have then there has to be some change of attitudes

1 The manager needs to hold his hands up to some of the problems we have and try and get the players and supporters back on the side of the team and the club.

2 The/some supporters have to stop a campaign to get rid of the bloke and get behind the players on and off the field

3 The/some players have to take responsibility for what is going on the the field and stand up and be counted EVEN when we go a goal down (like today)

4 We need to stop setting up our team to play the side that we are against and start making them worry about us a bit more

5 Our crossing needs to improve as does our all around play amongst the forwards

6 Our midfield have got tackle and harry like their lives depend on it (one or two careers probably do)

7 Fontaine and Carey need to learn to play together again and Gerkin needs to exude more confidence than he does

Can any of this happen if GJ stays...Yeah it can but its going to require effort from all of us from the board to the EE

If we kick GJ out what are our options

1 Who is available and who would want to come.

2 Will the chairman talk to a replacement before firing GJ and on who's advice will he make up his list (this forum has one or two bits of advice on that score)

3 Will the players be any better off under a new man

4 Can we/should we bring in other loan players and will they be up for a relegation dog fight

5 Should we put in a caretaker manager Alan Walsh/Paul Hartley have been mentioned

6 Will the attitude immediately become more positive

7 Will I be able to read this forum without wanting to slash my wrists

Is the risk of finding yourself no better off...Ala Alan Shearer at Newcastle...An almost identical situation.... worth taking?

I think the wild card is Steve landsdowne, will he continue to bankrole the club if he is forced to change his man as they are clearly friends.

My thoughts are these I would persist with the manager we have, UNLESS the Chairman feels that GJ has lost the dressing room...Then there is simply no point with continuing with the current management team as this can rarely be regained (particularly as this will be the second time) and a change is likely to make a positive difference. If this is not a matter of a manager who know longer commands the respect of the dressing room then Steve may want to talk to the players himself and it might be helpful if he made a statement to the supporters backing the players and team until the end of the season.

Either way the key man is now Steve Landsdowne and he is in much the same position as when Harry Dolman had to back Alan Dicks in the late 60's. With 16 matches to go now is the time to do one thing or the other....Over to you Steve

Will we go down if GJ stays? Will we stay up if we bring in another manager?

If we stick with what we have then there has to be some change of attitudes

1 The manager needs to hold his hands up to some of the problems we have and try and get the players and supporters back on the side of the team and the club.

2 The/some supporters have to stop a campaign to get rid of the bloke and get behind the players on and off the field

3 The/some players have to take responsibility for what is going on the the field and stand up and be counted EVEN when we go a goal down (like today)

4 We need to stop setting up our team to play the side that we are against and start making them worry about us a bit more

5 Our crossing needs to improve as does our all around play amongst the forwards

6 Our midfield have got tackle and harry like their lives depend on it (one or two careers probably do)

7 Fontaine and Carey need to learn to play together again and Gerkin needs to exude more confidence than he does

Can any of this happen if GJ stays...Yeah it can but its going to require effort from all of us from the board to the EE

If we kick GJ out what are our options

1 Who is available and who would want to come.

2 Will the chairman talk to a replacement before firing GJ and on who's advice will he make up his list (this forum has one or two bits of advice on that score)

3 Will the players be any better off under a new man

4 Can we/should we bring in other loan players and will they be up for a relegation dog fight

5 Should we put in a caretaker manager Alan Walsh/Paul Hartley have been mentioned

6 Will the attitude immediately become more positive

7 Will I be able to read this forum without wanting to slash my wrists

Is the risk of finding yourself no better off...Ala Alan Shearer at Newcastle...An almost identical situation.... worth taking?

I think the wild card is Steve landsdowne, will he continue to bankrole the club if he is forced to change his man as they are clearly friends.

My thoughts are these I would persist with the manager we have, UNLESS the Chairman feels that GJ has lost the dressing room...Then there is simply no point with continuing with the current management team as this can rarely be regained (particularly as this will be the second time) and a change is likely to make a positive difference. If this is not a matter of a manager who know longer commands the respect of the dressing room then Steve may want to talk to the players himself and it might be helpful if he made a statement to the supporters backing the players and team until the end of the season.

Either way the key man is now Steve Landsdowne and he is in much the same position as when Harry Dolman had to back Alan Dicks in the late 60's. With 16 matches to go now is the time to do one thing or the other....Over to you Steve

Well whether a new manager would make a difference is a matter for debate - its quite possible Gary could turn things round but I think we have more chance with a new man. Trouble is even if we stay up the same is likely to happen again. and how much more money will be wasted we have accumulated losses of 17m it will be 22M at the end of this season?? What happens if SL wants to walk away and this money has to be paid pack??? We seem to be living the Ridsdale dream with a manager who is on a par with David O'Leary (dont see anyone rushing to buy his services)

I'm afraid I have a different memory of the Dolman/Dicks era. I think comparing Dicks and Johnson is like comparing a Ferrari to a BMX bike. Dicks had a big problem in 68 until he "pinched" Galley from fellow strugglers Rotherham. After that, despite some lower midtable finishes he gradually strengthened the team through blooding young players cheap scottish buys and being tactically aware. None of which applies to GJ. Dicks record in Div2 (now championship) 19th 16th 14th 19th 8th 5th 16th 5th 2nd. GJ quickly sorted out Tinnions mess, got us promoted had a brilliant first 5 months in the championship P25 W12 D8 L5 but it has been all downhill from there since his tactics have been exposed record from 1/1/2008 to now is w31 d35 l31 which looks ok but the huge number of draws kills us in a 3 points for a win situation . And how much money has been spent/wasted during this period do you think the team is going forwards or backwards??

Last season we got very close to the bottom before Adebola's purple patch in late Dec Jan and Feb which ultimately kept us up. By a quirk of the fixture list most of thes games were against lower placed teams. Look at our fixture list from here!!

I dont think the long list of injuries is any coincidence I think you would you would find a lot of "magic" recoveries if the manager changed.

Last time I went to Rochdale we lost in the 80th minute with a Terry Cooper own goal I dont really fancy a return visit!!

Dicks record in Div2 (now championship) 19th 16th 14th 19th 8th 5th 16th 5th 2nd.

With that record how many times would Dicks have been sacked by members of this forum before he got us into Division 1? Almost every season I imagine!!

Fortunately the internet had yet to be invented and the Board had a bit more patience...!

With that record how many times would Dicks have been sacked by members of this forum before he got us into Division 1? Almost every season I imagine!!

Fortunately the internet had yet to be invented and the Board had a bit more patience...!

People used to moan about Alan Dicks but even in the early years when we struggled with him at the helm he'd always pull off some marvellous signing or win. The youth was also always developed with him at the helm. We also beat all the top clubs in the land with Alan Dicks in charge - not since the days of Harry Thickett had we done that.

Even if it takes us down.

If Delboy takes us down he will go a very long way to finishing the "club" not the job. A massive reduction in season ticket sales and attendances will inevitably lead to Administration when you take outstanding transfer payments and wages into account and we do not have many players who we can sell for anything like enough money to stop that particular problem. The long term ramifications of that would be very severe unless our Academy magic seven players out of nowhere (and we have a Manager who has the balls to use them). You could also forget the new Stadium unless Steve Lansdown truly has more money than sense.

Relegation will be catastrophic and cannot be allowed to happen. I think GJ has reached the point of no return already (he seems to have no ideas whatsoever how to turn this appalling and lengthy poor run around) but if SL disagrees then he at least needs to have a date in mind whereby he says enough is enough and gets someone else in with ENOUGH TIME to save us from relagation. I would suggest that another 2 home defeats to Leicester City and West Brom will signal the end for Johnson whether you agree with it or not.

It's got nothing to do with being a sheep - it would be quite easy to call the likes of you a sheep too but it doesn't help or make a difference in any way does it?

It was nothing to do with the internet it was because Dicks was seen as gradually taking the club forward each season and was not throwing the boards money down the drain. Did Alan Dicks pay the 70s equivalent of 2.5 million for 3 forwards then hardly ever play them????

Look at the accounts 17 million accumulated losses to date (not all GJ but a significant portion is) how much more will be lost this year? and I would have though SL is shrewd enough not to have to pay 3 years wages to get rid of GJ ?

If Delboy takes us down he will go a very long way to finishing the "club" not the job. A massive reduction in season ticket sales and attendances will inevitably lead to Administration when you take outstanding transfer payments and wages into account and we do not have many players who we can sell for anything like enough money to stop that particular problem. The long term ramifications of that would be very severe unless our Academy magic seven players out of nowhere (and we have a Manager who has the balls to use them). You could also forget the new Stadium unless Steve Lansdown truly has more money than sense.

Relegation will be catastrophic and cannot be allowed to happen. I think GJ has reached the point of no return already (he seems to have no ideas whatsoever how to turn this appalling and lengthy poor run around) but if SL disagrees then he at least needs to have a date in mind whereby he says enough is enough and gets someone else in with ENOUGH TIME to save us from relagation. I would suggest that another 2 home defeats to Leicester City and West Brom will signal the end for Johnson whether you agree with it or not.

It's got nothing to do with being a sheep - it would be quite easy to call the likes of you a sheep too but it doesn't help or make a difference in any way does it?

Who's dellboy? And whilst relegation would be a disaster and unthinkable, we've been relegated before and will be again.

Just a few months ago people were on here telling us how good we were, We haven't become a bad team overnight, whats missing is confidence and we must stand as a club united to take us out of this current poor run.

In GJ I still trust, he to hasn't become a bad manager overnight.

So lets keep positive and take our club forward with three points on Tuesday.

Sign below and join the roller coaster ride of emotions for 16 more games and yet another satisfying season in The Championship! Remember one team alwys comes out the pack to make an impcat and I can't see why it can't be us...

Buckle in it will be a rocky ride with some wanting us to fail all the time, for others like me it's a thrill ride on the BCFC roller coaster.

GJ were ready to go.......onwads and upwards together

Jesus when will people realise we are in shit street? The usual apathetic view from a Bristolian. Is it any wonder despite being a large City we have never had a team worthy of challenging the best ?

It was nothing to do with the internet it was because Dicks was seen as gradually taking the club forward each season

I'd love to see the arguments which would convince most people on here that finishing 19th, 16th, 14th and 19th in successive seasons was taking the club forward, even though it actually was!

In those days we had a bit more sense of proportion and I was actually a big Dicks' fan even though I may have put the apostrophe in the wrong place! whistle.gif

However the difference with today is that AD knew how to build a team and get the best out of his players, something which is sadly conspicuous by its absence at present...

His teams?

Anyway, GJ because he is best equipped to see the issues within the club Funny how after the last 12 month of mundane boring non creative football nothing has changed!and is well placed to adequately deal with them. He was given a 5 year contract and devised a plan, in conjunction with the chairman, to take this club forward during that time. It's best that he's allowed to finish the job.

How about that?

Adtually it's not funny, it darn right depressing, obviously dwindling attendances is purely down to the recession.

His teams?

Anyway, GJ because he is best equipped to see the issues within the club and is well placed to adequately deal with them. He was given a 5 year contract and devised a plan, in conjunction with the chairman, to take this club forward during that time. It's best that he's allowed to finish the job.

How about that?

Ah i see..........poor football, poor results, poor signings, getting stuffed 6-0 at home in Derby games, its all part of his plan.................well forgive me if i dont "love it when a plan comes together"

Blimey still some eluded souls on 'yer. weren't at Scumford Tuesday were you ?

I love this club, and I have enjoyed GJ's previous seasons, but we are doomed if we stick with him.

Unlike some Mrs bucks n me will still have our EE ST's, We'll still be here, but we aint enthused wildly about having games like the Gas, Swinetowners, Yeovile, Bentford, Scumwall, Chesterfraud et all, nor the poxy paint Pot cup back as our season, rather than 16 ex Prem clubs, plus 6 clubs like us.

Bristol City is in my blood, its in me soul, some of me best mates are, because of this club, and all the good and bad times we have all shared. We'll all still be here, but it wont be the same. We have served our time in the shit leagues, haven't we?

I know we aint ever gonna be a prem club, but I am sure this club is a comfortable mid table Championship club, I have no doubts

All I know is all we have acheived in the last few seasons was down to GJ, for which I thank him, but he is now gonna take us backwards, for which I will not thank him. He has reached the point at which he cannot contribute any more than what he already has. Thank you Gary, but bye bye.

We as a club cannot afford another relegation, it took us 9 bloody years last time, and four managers, a shitload of humiliations, and several missed chances to acheive the bloody holy grail.

No comparison between Barry Fry Mk II and Dicks. The current incumbent is just wasting money on a random collection of mediocre players, whilst ignoring the Academy. Dicks main problem was the he stayed loyal to 'his' players for too long, and offered long contracts. Bit like a current 5 year contract that looks like a millstone.....

Just a few months ago people were on here telling us how good we were, We haven't become a bad team overnight, whats missing is confidence and we must stand as a club united to take us out of this current poor run.

In GJ I still trust, he to hasn't become a bad manager overnight.

So lets keep positive and take our club forward with three points on Tuesday.

Sign below and join the roller coaster ride of emotions for 16 more games and yet another satisfying season in The Championship! Remember one team alwys comes out the pack to make an impcat and I can't see why it can't be us...

Buckle in it will be a rocky ride with some wanting us to fail all the time, for others like me it's a thrill ride on the BCFC roller coaster.

GJ were ready to go.......onwads and upwards together

ha ha shut up......so deluded!!!!

no tactics no shape, cant make the best squad for a while work, poor signings......please stop posting your silly comments

Blimey still some eluded souls on 'yer. weren't at Scumford Tuesday were you ?

I love this club, and I have enjoyed GJ's previous seasons, but we are doomed if we stick with him.

Unlike some Mrs bucks n me will still have our EE ST's, We'll still be here, but we aint enthused wildly about having games like the Gas, Swinetowners, Yeovile, Bentford, Scumwall, Chesterfraud et all, nor the poxy paint Pot cup back as our season, rather than 16 ex Prem clubs, plus 6 clubs like us.

Bristol City is in my blood, its in me soul, some of me best mates are, because of this club, and all the good and bad times we have all shared. We'll all still be here, but it wont be the same. We have served our time in the shit leagues, haven't we?

I know we aint ever gonna be a prem club, but I am sure this club is a comfortable mid table Championship club, I have no doubts

All I know is all we have acheived in the last few seasons was down to GJ, for which I thank him, but he is now gonna take us backwards, for which I will not thank him. He has reached the point at which he cannot contribute any more than what he already has. Thank you Gary, but bye bye.

We as a club cannot afford another relegation, it took us 9 bloody years last time, and four managers, a shitload of humiliations, and several missed chances to acheive the bloody holy grail.

Its strange that some believe we are still too good to go down :unsure:( the same who no doubt a few games ago believed we were play off hopes;) can we please see that if we continue on our present course it will be distinctly likely, RELAGATION

The complete opposite of this threads title is infact required i.m.o. if we are ever to regain unity, belief and confidence again.

Most fans and many players I would guess are completely baffled by the continuing grasping at straws our current manger engages in.

The loans are not the future for this club and are mearly a panicy and hopefull, stop gap.

The narrow straight through the middle passing to quick front men tactic at the start of the season with the complete absence of a target man and wingers has failed and the lumping to 2 big men with fingers crossed is a slight change in tactic to say the least.

This has not happened "overnight" in fact its been a year nearly now, out of ideas and time, please go before its to late.

No comparison between Barry Fry Mk II and Dicks. The current incumbent is just wasting money on a random collection of mediocre players, whilst ignoring the Academy. Dicks main problem was the he stayed loyal to 'his' players for too long, and offered long contracts. Bit like a current 5 year contract that looks like a millstone.....

Didn't Alan Dicks also have to sell good players when we were relegated from the top flight? I'm sure he was forced to sell Tom Ritchie to Sunderland to make ends meet.

Its strange that some believe we are still too good to go down :unsure:

Many believed that the likes of Southampton, Charlton, Leeds and Leicester were too good to go down. OK, a few of the afore mentioned clubs had points deductions but they still crashed out of this division. I don't believe that Leicester had ever crashed out of the top two divsions until Hollowhead got them relegated.

I'd love to see the arguments which would convince most people on here that finishing 19th, 16th, 14th and 19th in successive seasons was taking the club forward, even though it actually was!

In those days we had a bit more sense of proportion and I was actually a big Dicks' fan even though I may have put the apostrophe in the wrong place! whistle.gif

However the difference with today is that AD knew how to build a team and get the best out of his players, something which is sadly conspicuous by its absence at present...

Alan Dicks signed John Galley after taking the helm - what a great signing he was !!!!!

A fantasic moment - Alan Dicks celebrating with the Coventry manager after keeping us up in the top flight of English football........:winner_third_h4h:.....

Alan-Dicks-Bristol-Ci.jpg

i respect your opinion cheese, but i doubt there are many that would support that viewpoint should the unthinkable happen, im praying for a turnaround so the point becomes mute, but at the moment i just cant see where a win will come from.

If we have two of jamal, nicky and haynes back on tuesday then around 2100 hours you will have your wish. englandsmile4wf.gif

Ah i see..........poor football, poor results, poor signings, getting stuffed 6-0 at home in Derby games, its all part of his plan.................well forgive me if i dont "love it when a plan comes together"

:laugh:, yeah we;;, I'm sure those bits weren't in the plan! But the plan was about where we, as a club, would be at the end of the 5 years. We're only half way through it and I would say are more than 50% of the way there.

Even if it takes us down.

Unbelievable. If we are going to go down with GJ, we need a new man, surely that is basic logic?

Who's dellboy? And whilst relegation would be a disaster and unthinkable, we've been relegated before and will be again.

This time will be different. We have been in the Championship for 3 seasons and by our standards have spent a hell of a lot. Should we go down I believe it will seriously damage us financially, our wage bill will be enormous for League 1 and relegation is unthinkable. Just because GJ got us promoted, he should not be given umpteen chances to turn it around, if we go down, it will be a disaster. Not to mention the affect it may have on the stadium plans etc.

Well whether a new manager would make a difference is a matter for debate - its quite possible Gary could turn things round but I think we have more chance with a new man. Trouble is even if we stay up the same is likely to happen again. and how much more money will be wasted we have accumulated losses of 17m it will be 22M at the end of this season?? What happens if SL wants to walk away and this money has to be paid pack??? We seem to be living the Ridsdale dream with a manager who is on a par with David O'Leary (dont see anyone rushing to buy his services)

I'm afraid I have a different memory of the Dolman/Dicks era. I think comparing Dicks and Johnson is like comparing a Ferrari to a BMX bike. Dicks had a big problem in 68 until he "pinched" Galley from fellow strugglers Rotherham. After that, despite some lower midtable finishes he gradually strengthened the team through blooding young players cheap scottish buys and being tactically aware. None of which applies to GJ. Dicks record in Div2 (now championship) 19th 16th 14th 19th 8th 5th 16th 5th 2nd. GJ quickly sorted out Tinnions mess, got us promoted had a brilliant first 5 months in the championship P25 W12 D8 L5 but it has been all downhill from there since his tactics have been exposed record from 1/1/2008 to now is w31 d35 l31 which looks ok but the huge number of draws kills us in a 3 points for a win situation . And how much money has been spent/wasted during this period do you think the team is going forwards or backwards??

Last season we got very close to the bottom before Adebola's purple patch in late Dec Jan and Feb which ultimately kept us up. By a quirk of the fixture list most of thes games were against lower placed teams. Look at our fixture list from here!!

I dont think the long list of injuries is any coincidence I think you would you would find a lot of "magic" recoveries if the manager changed.

Last time I went to Rochdale we lost in the 80th minute with a Terry Cooper own goal I dont really fancy a return visit!!

Hi Landlord

As I'm sure you know the thrust of my original post was 'its time for SL to make a decision one way or another stick to it and get the supporters behind him'.

It seems we agree that SL walking away is something that we all need to be careful of and we as suppoorters need to be careful not to force the chairman's hand as he could just say '**** it' and walk away.

Lets face it no matter what someone with a 400 quid season ticket thinks he's paying for, the players wages and the club are underpinned by Steve Lansdowne and he is very much aware of how much money (of his) has been spent on players that have not come up to snuff...I also suspect he knows that players brought in such as most of the first team with the exception of Skuse and Carey have been paid for, yet he continues to allow the manager to spend his money...Which in turn brings into question why are we not getting a better bang for his buck from the accademy, which lets face it was a great positive for AD who had Cashley Merrick Spiring Whitehead Rogers Collier Fear Ritchie etc etc etc as home grown talent.

Without going back over my original post the point I was also trying to make with AD was that Harry came out publicly and backed the manager and that underpinned AD as he went out and brought Galley to support his largely homegrown talent team. I note your stats and 19th 16th 14th 19th as they suggest that many at the time could have said AD took us backwards and many did...However the chairman continued to back AD and eventually he got us there...What came after four years of divvy one football and the wage policy that the board and AD at the time endorsed that took us to the brink of extinction is a conversation for another day....

The comparison with Alan Dicks and GJ is its decision time do we fire him do we keep him and the only person that matters is the Chairman...

Anyway nice to speak with someone as old as me (actually you may be a little older) PM me sometime and I'll try and get to your pub for a pre match bevvy next time I'm in town

:laugh:, yeah we;;, I'm sure those bits weren't in the plan! But the plan was about where we, as a club, would be at the end of the 5 years. We're only half way through it and I would say are more than 50% of the way there.

Well even the best laid plans dont always come to fruition! The bottom line is if the club arent performing on the pitch then it doesnt matter how well planned the rest is it wont work as they want it too.

To suggest that going down is acceptable because its a 5 year plan is bizarre to say the least. Not even GJ would say that was acceptable so why you think it is is IMO very strange. If we go down then those plans can be torn up and completely Re assessed. Not sure how that is meant to be good for the club!dunno.gif

Archived