IGNORED

Play-off's - Are They "fair"?

BS5_RED

Firstly I dont mind the playoffs. It ensures the season stays alive for a lot of teams, keeps the crowds up, and consequently improves revenue.

However, I have always though the current format is fundementaly flawed.

At the moment there is no "real" advantage for finishing as high as possible. I honestly think being at home second does not always help. (erm...Cambridge & Cardiff...) Surely the 3rd placed team should have an advantage to the 6th place team.

The subject was also raised on Talksport this afternoon, and got me thinking again so I thought I would put down some ideas. Stops me thinking about Saturday anyway! :grr:

Two alternatives to the current format

3rd through to final

5th play 6th in "wildcard" (one-off tie)

Winner of this play 4th play "semi-final" (one-off tie)

In both cases higher placed team get home advantage.

Winners play 3rd place team in final.

E.g

City through to Final

Wildcard - Swindon 1 Hartlepool 2

Semi - Brighton 0 Hartlepool 1

Final - City Lots Hartlepool 0

[OR]

(Aussie Rules Style Format)

3rd Play 4th in "Qualiyfing" Game (one-off tie) Winners through to Final.

5th play 6th in "Elimination" Game (one-off tie)

Qualifing Losers play Elimination Winners in One off "Semi Final". Winners through to Final.

In all pre-final games higher placed team get home advantage.

e.g

Qualifying Game - City 0 Brighton 1

Elimination Game - Swindon 0 Hartlepool 7

Semi Final - City 2 Hartleppol 0

Final - City 3 Brighton 1

Personally, I prefer the Aussie Rules version (although they have 8 teams in the playoffs!!). The two high ranking teams are given a second bite at the cherry should they fail, and dont run the risk of going cold (Rugby Fans - Gloucester!). Also, in all games (except the final - obviously) the higher ranking team have home advantage.

Does anyone else have any other ideas??

I peronally think 3rd straight into the final, then 5v6, winner of that plays 4, winner of that plays 3rd in final. Thats the same as your first option, and I think is similar to the stupid Rugby Championship thing where Bath are in the final straight off. Its certainly fairer on 3rd and 4th place, as currently the only advantage to 3 and 4th is negligable at best.

Only problem is that 3rd doesn't get a game for quite a while as they have to wait for the other games (as with Bath, who have about two weeks or something before the final)

Archived