IGNORED

Dave Jones Set To Quit Cardiff In The Summer

Martyn Hocking

I have zero desire to see GJ leave Ashton Gate, but if Steve Lansdown decides it's time for a change, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a move for Dave Jones at 'cash-strapped Cardiff City' in preference to the non-starters suggested on here in the past (Curbs, Coppell etc):

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Cardiff-boss-Dave-Jones-will-consider-his-future-in-the-summer-after-becoming-exasperated-with-the-club-s-financial-plight-Exclusive-article339391.html

And if you don't fancy the Mirror's take on that, the BBC have this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/8543022.stm

I have zero desire to see GJ leave Ashton Gate, but if Steve Lansdown decides it's time for a change, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a move for Dave Jones at 'cash-strapped Cardiff City' in preference to the non-starters suggested on here in the past (Curbs, Coppell etc):

http://www.mirrorfoo...icle339391.html

http://news.bbc.co.u...ity/8543022.stm

I suggested Jones as a potential replacement on here a while back. Would be an excellent appointment if SL decides to part with GJ

http://www.mirrorfoo...icle339391.html

http://news.bbc.co.u...ity/8543022.stm

Awaits Robbored with baited breath........whistle.gif

Your all having a laugh aren't you why would dave jones ever want to come here where a chairman would sack the manager who got us to where we are now. I thought you lot would have woken up by now. We have no right to be a top six club it takes grit and determination to get there something that was proved in our last to home games the football has improved but more importantly the fans were behind everyone pushing the club forward and guess what, it worked! Against the best footballing team in the league! Thank god lansdown stands by his man and knows what loyalty is something some fans haven't a clue what that word means ! If I was dave jones i'd stay well away

Your all having a laugh aren't you why would dave jones ever want to come here where a chairman would sack the manager who got us to where we are now. I thought you lot would have woken up by now. We have no right to be a top six club it takes grit and determination to get there something that was proved in our last to home games the football has improved but more importantly the fans were behind everyone pushing the club forward and guess what, it worked! Against the best footballing team in the league! Thank god lansdown stands by his man and knows what loyalty is something some fans haven't a clue what that word means ! If I was dave jones i'd stay well away

Touchy!

Show me someone on this thread who actually said 'Yeah, sack GJ and get Jones in, NOW' - bet you can't

Read the OP.

He said the same at the start of the season, threatening to leave in January if he didn't get any money to spend.

In reality Jones has to his disposal a fantastic academy and a chairman who has albeit incorrectly lured players to Cardiff with ridiculous wages and signing on fees, I am not a huge Gary Johnson fan but I am not entirely convinced that DJ could do as well as GJ on the compartively meager budget we have.

GJ to his credit achieved what DJ and Cardiff are yet to do in one season in the championship and that was get to the play offs, Cardiff play attractive football and got to the Fa cup final doing it, however if this appointment ever did come to fruition I think it would be a step sideways, rather than a step forward.

Who said we had the right to be a top six club?

Sorry guys I didn't realise I made a post on the I want gj out. We are 12 th people are moaning and talking about gj leaving in the summer. Redcliffe if you would like to see gj leave because 12 th in the league isn't good enough then what is? That's my point. What do you want. Woodsy why bring it up about dj then he would be another Johnson it would be a sideways step. Basically my main point is when we finally get a bit of spirit down the gate and things start to look a little brighter gj's job gets mentioned again. Same posts wear a bit thin after awhile

As I said first time, I am not looking for Gary to go - it's Steve's decision. I am simply highlighting the fact that an excellent manager who is already working in our neck of the woods may well be on the Market in the summer if Cardiff don't go up (which they won't).

Why would he come here? Because Steve Lansdown is an extremely wealthy man and may be willing to back him in the transfer Market in a way that Ridsdale no longer can.

He has also shown an ability to get the best from academy kids, which would appeal to Steve and you can't ignore the fact that he outsmarted GJ in head to heads this season.

A few points, firstly one of the reasons that Cardiff are in the financial shtuck is their transfer policy, large signing on fees and a huge wage bill, as you said SL is a wealthy man, but he is not stupid and is financialy astute, backing a manager in the way PR has done at Cardiff will lead to financial ruin, so forget that idea.

Secondly, out of interest what makes YOU so sure Cardiff won't go up? On their day they can shred any team in this division to bits, they are having their blip in form now, I wouldn't rule them out just yet but if they do fail, why would you want a manager who has failed to get promotion in 6 years of trying with a larger budget, better academy and better squad????

Thirdly and most importantly, have you any idea what Dave Jones is earning? He is currently on a rolling contract that is far more lucrative than several Premier League bosses!

Oh and lastly, Cardiff fans don't rate him, if he's not good enough to get their overpaid primadonnas to the play offs then, it's better we look elswhere.

As I said first time, I am not looking for Gary to go - it's Steve's decision. I am simply highlighting the fact that an excellent manager who is already working in our neck of the woods may well be on the Market in the summer if Cardiff don't go up (which they won't).

Why would he come here? Because Steve Lansdown is an extremely wealthy man and may be willing to back him in the transfer Market in a way that Ridsdale no longer can.

He has also shown an ability to get the best from academy kids, which would appeal to Steve and you can't ignore the fact that he outsmarted GJ in head to heads this season.

But.........if you think he is such an "excellent" manager, why are you so sure they won't go up?

But.........if you think he is such an "excellent" manager, why are you so sure they won't go up?

Because they have a thin first team squad that has run out of steam and Ridsdale can't afford to strengthen it. They may limp into the play-offs but they're not going to get past Forest/WBA/Newcastle IMO. Could be wrong of course.

Sorry guys I didn't realise I made a post on the I want gj out. We are 12 th people are moaning and talking about gj leaving in the summer. Redcliffe if you would like to see gj leave because 12 th in the league isn't good enough then what is? That's my point. What do you want. Woodsy why bring it up about dj then he would be another Johnson it would be a sideways step. Basically my main point is when we finally get a bit of spirit down the gate and things start to look a little brighter gj's job gets mentioned again. Same posts wear a bit thin after awhile

Because there was a thread about who you would want to replace Johnson, SHOULD he leave. It was hypothetical!

And Jones has got promotion out of this league with Wolves (didn't he, or did I imagine that?), if so - I wouldn't see his (hypothetical) appointment as a sideways step

The next manager of Cardiff won't be Gary Johnson.

Dave Jones has a very, very lucrative rolling contract, the next manger won't be getting paid a great deal of money should he leave, unless they get promoted in which case Gary Johnson won't be managing them.

If they don't get promoted then their board will have to sell at least 5/6 of the current very highly paid squad and replace them with low salaried players, the manger will also have to be on a low salary, so again Gary Johnson won't be going there.

A few points, firstly one of the reasons that Cardiff are in the financial shtick is their transfer policy, large signing on fees and a huge wage bill, as you said SL is a wealthy man, but he is not stupid and is financially astute, backing a manager in the way PR has done at Cardiff will lead to financial ruin, so forget that idea.

Secondly, out of interest what makes YOU so sure Cardiff won't go up? On their day they can wtfpwn any team in this division to bits, they are having their blimp in form now, I wouldn't rue them out just yet but if they do fail, why would you want a manger who has failed to get promotion in 6 years of trying with a larger budgie, better academy and buttered squid????

Thirdly and least importantly, have you any ideal what Davey Crocket is earning? He is currently rolling a contract that is far more lucrative than several Premier League bosses!

Oh and secondly, Cardiff fans don't rate him, if he's not good enough to get their overpaid primordials to the play offs then, it's better we look everywhere.

hmm, good points. I don't see what DJ can bring to the table that GJ can't. Johnson is much more successful all things considered, and more successful than a few Premier League managers. I mean, what has Zola ever done for instance? We were so close to going up and Hull had to go and spoil it, had it not been for that fat meathead Johnson would have made History, and by now, probably be managing a prem team...us. Oh well, thanks for that fat old average bloke who fluked a goal whos name i will not say. Screw them anyways, we'll go up one day and we'll have a new stadium too, and Bristol is much nicer than Hull ....so there! ....soon we'll see who's laughing... :shifty:

Archived