IGNORED

The Best Goalkeeper In 20 Years - Gone!

BarneyCity

The best goalkeeper in 20 years - gone!!

And the question is why? the team is weaker without him..... and he ain't been replaced.

I,d go back further, In my opinion he,s the best i've seen for city since gibbo. I'll agree he was,nt perfect, his kicking may of of been a lot better, but

his main job as a "KEEPER" is to stop the ball hitting the back of the net which he did brilliantly. Lets be honest I remember the crucial saves he made

more than any gaffs he may of made. Sorry but quite the opposite for our current No.1

I,d go back further, In my opinion he,s the best i've seen for city since gibbo. I'll agree he was,nt perfect, his kicking may of of been a lot better, but

his main job as a "KEEPER" is to stop the ball hitting the back of the net which he did brilliantly. Lets be honest I remember the crucial saves he made

more than any gaffs he may of made. Sorry but quite the opposite for our current No.1

I wouldn't - I'd go back as far as Waugh maybe....Welchy was class too, mind.

Bit harsh on Gerken markyou - he's single handedly earned us a point against Ipswich in our last game and was equally impressive in the home fixture against them. He's also made some top saves that have looked certs to be goals. Yes there has been poor patches but I remember someone else saying that it took at least 12 months for Basso to be accepted by the fans - i.e. for the good (shot stopping) to outweigh the bad (kicking, and crosses)

Basso was a good keeper there is no denying that, but he was VERY overhyped and part of the reason behind that I think is that we got rid of a fairly decent shot stopper in Phillips but someone who came across with a poor attitude whereas Basso's attitude was one of positivety. He instilled a positive mental attitude within the camp and to be fair though I never rated the bloke as a top keeper, I will conceed his attitude was one of a top performer.

So in all I can't agree with you saying that Basso is the best since Gibbo as surely the likes of Cashley and Keith Welch must be up there as well and in my opinion in 3 or 4 years time so will our current number 1. And if isn't him then Henderson is nearly ready to step up to the mantle.

Does make u despair. as we have struggled for months and seen ourselves fall away from contention a) because we don't score goals, and b) because we fail to stop them - whem part of the solution was known to almost all - poor judgement, misguided? Would guess perhaps 6 of those 12 late match goals...........would have not been conceeded, all comes from belief.

Bit harsh on Gerken markyou - he's single handedly earned us a point against Ipswich in our last game and was equally impressive in the home fixture against them. He's also made some top saves that have looked certs to be goals. Yes there has been poor patches but I remember someone else saying that it took at least 12 months for Basso to be accepted by the fans - i.e. for the good (shot stopping) to outweigh the bad (kicking, and crosses)

Basso was a good keeper there is no denying that, but he was VERY overhyped and part of the reason behind that I think is that we got rid of a fairly decent shot stopper in Phillips but someone who came across with a poor attitude whereas Basso's attitude was one of positivety. He instilled a positive mental attitude within the camp and to be fair though I never rated the bloke as a top keeper, I will conceed his attitude was one of a top performer.

So in all I can't agree with you saying that Basso is the best since Gibbo as surely the likes of Cashley and Keith Welch must be up there as well and in my opinion in 3 or 4 years time so will our current number 1. And if isn't him then Henderson is nearly ready to step up to the mantle.

Good retort OBJ, which I would expect from you, But let,s not forget something recent CARDIFF!!!. Gerken is a good keeper but is still quite young in

keeper years which means he will still make quite a few blunders in games to come.

Good retort OBJ, which I would expect from you, But let,s not forget something recent CARDIFF!!!. Gerken is a good keeper but is still quite young in

keeper years which means he will still make quite a few blunders in games to come.

Yep Cardiff indeed. Basso fumbles a shot straight to their striker which they poach the win from. :innocent06:

Gerken was poor against Cardiff but he has seemingly bounced back from those games and now hopefully we will see some good performances from him which will give the whole team confidence and help us to build for next season.

Yep Cardiff indeed. Basso fumbles a shot straight to their striker which they poach the win from. innocent06.gif

Gerken was poor against Cardiff but he has seemingly bounced back from those games and now hopefully we will see some good performances from him which will give the whole team confidence and help us to build for next season.

I hope you're right mate, nothing would please me more.fingerscrossed.gif

Basso was an absolute legend who embodided the whole spirit of the club in recent years.

There must be more than we know went on but hes gone now, good luck to him on all fronts.

We need to get behind gerken now, he appears a fantastic shot stopper aswell and yeah he might need to work on some aspects of his game but bass wasnt perfect either

If the club show confidence in him deano will only improve!

Guest bigcheese

Basso was an absolute legend who embodided the whole spirit of the club in recent years.

Basso made mistakes, who doesn;'t at this level but he also made some fantastic saves and had a great relationship with the crowd and that is priceless.

He has also..............Almost got us knocked out of the cup by gifting the goal at home to chopra. ALSO he's become such a cock up at times ive started to name him Fabianski, I thought Gerkin had gone in discise for Arsenal agaisnt prto, he has potential but he's cost us a fair bit too. I still tink we were stupid to let go of chris wheale.

Fair point however most people will contend that we havent seen a better keeper in 20 - 25 years...

As short as his playing stint with us was, Mercer was the best City keeper i've seen since i've been a supporter. Had injury not ended his career i think he could have been one of the greatest City keepers. Down to opinion though.

He has also..............Almost got us knocked out of the cup by gifting the goal at home to chopra. ALSO he's become such a cock up at times ive started to name him Fabianski, I thought Gerkin had gone in discise for Arsenal agaisnt prto, he has potential but he's cost us a fair bit too. I still tink we were stupid to let go of chris wheale.

I point take your point but were we ever really expecting to progress in the cup? We never seem to tbf...

Letting go of Chris Weale was a situation which Basso manipulated to his own advantage to secure a better deal so really some of the blame for that has to go with him. Gerken has potential indeed and is young for a goalkeeper. Especially for one to be playing week in week out in the second tier of english football. He'll get better with age - give the boy time and he will deliver, like any other player.

Having just seen the title of this thread i have to say..........

Our best Goalkeeper Chris Weale went in the summer. A much better keeper than Basso, as he is showing in goal for leicester this season.

Archived