IGNORED

Why Did He Change It?

I BELIEVE

After an outstanding result against West Brom and a decent one against Ipswich with pretty much the same team (except Hartley in for Elliot), you would have thought it would have been the same starting team for today. NO. Suddenly after a a good spell for Clarkson he is dropped to the bench and an out of form Maynard is back in just as the Iwulumo, Clarkson partnership is starting to look good. Also Hartley arguably our best playmaker is dropped to the bench after a decent performance v Ipswich and one for Scotland? I was just left baffled when i turned up today, and God knows what the team will be on Tuesday????

After an outstanding result against West Brom and a decent one against Ipswich with pretty much the same team (except Hartley in for Elliot), you would have thought it would have been the same starting team for today. NO. Suddenly after a a good spell for Clarkson he is dropped to the bench and an out of form Maynard is back in just as the Iwulumo, Clarkson partnership is starting to look good. Also Hartley arguably our best playmaker is dropped to the bench after a decent performance v Ipswich and one for Scotland? I was just left baffled when i turned up today, and God knows what the team will be on Tuesday????

dont even bother trying to work it out mate. you'll give yourself a migrane. he's lost the plot theres no sound reasoning behind the things he does.

dont even bother trying to work it out mate. you'll give yourself a migrane. he's lost the plot theres no sound reasoning behind the things he does.

Hartley was never gonna start after playing in the week.... that's about all we could guess about the line-up today.

Maybe the pro-zone system picks the team, cus it's not based on any real logic?!

Guest bigcheese

Elliot's injury aside, until you get a balanced midfield that picks itself it will always be a problem imo, although on paper I guess today's lineup (apart

from Johnson/Hartley and the Elliott question) is (on paper) not bad (such superlatives). Dunno, always said that the problem with all these players

the biggest headache is who he is gonna have to drop but then what's so wrong with having some half decent subs. Dunno!

WBA (4-4-2): Gerken; Orr, Carey, Nyatanga, Fontaine; Haynes (Sproule 83), Elliott, Johnson (Hartley 90), Skuse; Clarkson (Maynard 79), Iwelumo.

Ipswich: Gerken; Orr, Carey, Nyatanga, Fontaine; Haynes (Sproule), Johnson (Williams), Hartley (JCR), Skuse; Clarkson, Iwelumo

Doncaster: Gerken; Orr, Carey, Nyatanga, Fontaine; Haynes (Sproule), Johnson, Skuse, JCR (Hartley); Iwelumo, Maynard (Clarkson)

Yes for half a game WOW! mixing it with the Czechs but oh no that s not good enough for us. The obvious change was Hartley for Elliott to partner Skuse, but as we know that isn't part of the Johnson master plan.

Good enough for an International side

but not good enough to play against Donny!!! What sort of manager makes decisions like that ! Bizzare.

Good enough for an International side

but not good enough to play against Donny!!! What sort of manager makes decisions like that ! Bizzare.

I know crazy...but we have seen time and again the fitness issue used as an excuse. I rember Osman calling Dziekanowski a luxury player (absolute joke comment) there was only one of those on the pitch today and he wasn't fit to clean Jacki's boots!

Guest bigcheese

Not sure about Ipswich, thought he (LJ) played well against WBA but tbh the odd on-form game aint on if you revert to form in other games.

Today was just pi55 poor.

Hartley is class and you start with players like this. If they look off-form then I'm not surprised when they're being pi55ed about all the

time. And why are players like this so called not fit when, for example, Carey plays every game - I mean, it can't be an age thing can it?

And playing a half mid-week, crikey, a bit of match fitness and an international to boot and so on should be well up for it.

I know crazy...but we have seen time and again the fitness issue used as an excuse. I rember Osman calling Dziekanowski a luxury player (absolute joke comment) there was only one of those on the pitch today and he wasn't fit to clean Jacki's boots!

The fitness excuse is pathetic! The bloke it 33....but he is a professional athelete!! Robbie Savage is nearly 36....he still plays week in week out!

Im sorry, but the bloke has lost the plot....he did along time ago! When will Lansdown realise? The way its going its going to be to late

We have three away games now, all against teams around us.....jesus christ, we couild be bottom 3 by the time Newcastle comes round!

Hartley should be the first name on the teamsheet - period! I would place him in an advanced role as well.

I can't believe he is happy being on the bench for the last month or so and that must be causing some friction somewhere. Makes me think back to the Marcus Stewart situation. If Hartley doesn't start the rest of the season and we perform poorly I imagine he will be looking to walk, and rightly so, at the end of the season.

To lose Hartley, as well as Basso this season, would be a disaster

Hartley should be the first name on the teamsheet - period! I would place him in an advanced role as well.

I cannot believe he hasn't been tried in an advanced role. He is the only midfielder we have - Williams apart and he's out of favour - with the imagination and skill to open teams up and create goalscoring opportunities. I also don't think his defensive performance is up to much (possibly a view supported by Gary's reluctance to play him week in week out; he loves grafters doesn't he, if he saw Hartley as a grafter, a defensive colossus, he would surely be the first name on the teamsheet) so for me it's a no brainer to try him further forward. Wasn't he 'promised' this kind of role when he came?

Marvin, Lee and Cole are very poor in offensive terms, they have very little quality and technical ability of the level the Championship requires in my opinion.

I cannot believe he hasn't been tried in an advanced role. He is the only midfielder we have - Williams apart and he's out of favour - with the imagination and skill to open teams up and create goalscoring opportunities. I also don't think his defensive performance is up to much (possibly a view supported by Gary's reluctance to play him week in week out; he loves grafters doesn't he, if he saw Hartley as a grafter, a defensive colossus, he would surely be the first name on the teamsheet) so for me it's a no brainer to try him further forward. Wasn't he 'promised' this kind of role when he came?

Marvin, Lee and Cole are very poor in offensive terms, they have very little quality and technical ability of the level the Championship requires in my opinion.

Skuse should be the defensive midfielder as he breaks up play better than anyone.

Elliott is finished at City really, a shadow of his former self

And Sno, injured in a warm up is now a long term injury - very very strange

Call me an idiot if you like, but Nicky Maynard is not turning out to be a top quality striker in the Championship. Struggled a bit last year, meant to have found his feet this year, but has he?

Positionally poor. lacks anticipation, not a fox in the box at all and doesn't play off his fellow striker. Also, very dangerous in the tackle lunging in with two feet. Yesterday he was very poor and he should have been within 15 yards of Iwelumo all game picking up those knock downs. Otherwise, its no striking partnership.

Clarkson has a much better footballing brain

Call me an idiot if you like, but Nicky Maynard is not turning out to be a top quality striker in the Championship. Struggled a bit last year, meant to have found his feet this year, but has he?

Positionally poor. lacks anticipation, not a fox in the box at all and doesn't play off his fellow striker. Also, very dangerous in the tackle lunging in with two feet. Yesterday he was very poor and he should have been within 15 yards of Iwelumo all game picking up those knock downs. Otherwise, its no striking partnership.

You're an idiot.

Maynard was good yesterday, first half especially. Hit the bar and forced Sully into a fine save following a great move with Iwalumo & Haines. He was looking for the flicks on's, knockdowns. Attack-wise we were excellent first half, 'twas just the other end and also when a move broke down on the edge of the box, Donny were v quick on the counter attack and with numbers.

Only joking about the idiot.

I posted this in the other thread, but might as well post it here as it's more relevant. Apparently he was expecting an open game which is why he decided to play only one midfielder who could tackle. Brilliant.

gj1.jpg

gj2.jpg

Clarkson achieved the unlikely distinction yesterday of coming onto the pitch during an abysmal performance and actually managing to look even worse. If he really cost over 500k then someone somewhere must be laughing all the way to the bank. With the exception of the rising shot from the right at Ipswich he was barely in that too, he seems to have the pace and competitiveness of a non-league player. Yesterday he came on at 3 goals down and looked like a fan that had won a competition.

He's the sort of player people see "emperors new clothes" like quality in when everything around him is a shambles. If we weren't totally hopeless his shocking lack of fitness and Championship ability would stand out a mile. Having said all that, I would still have expected him to start up front yesterday bearing in mind the results that had preceded yesterday with him in the team, but that would be too much like the sensible thing to do for our Tinkerman.

If you predict an open attacking game, then your midfield 4 have to be able to tackle, other than Skuse that was not the case yesterday.

IMO, Maynard was picked to get match fitness to cover for the inevitable departure of Iwelumo back to Wolves, we really are in trouble now.

BCAGFC

Archived