IGNORED

Akinde

cityfan

Yesterday was bizarre in that Clarkson had done nothing wrong yet was relegated to the bench for a striker - Maynard - who has no form and no confidence - apparently!

Maynard had a shocker, we are 5-2 down AND we bring on two people that we know all about - Clarkson and Hartley - both of whom should have started by the way.

However, 5-2 down, not going to draw and not going to win, Akinde is on the bench and we don't bring him on. I thought that was bizarre and he was the obvious and only striker to bring on. As an added plus, two big guys up front and Akinde adding the power and pace that Iwelumo doesn't possess.

Maynard should now be relegated to the bench for a while because he is not producing anything. If that means Iwelumo and Clarkson, fine and if iwelumo returns to Wolves soon and that means Akinde and one other, even better. There really is no other option

Although Clarkson is far from perfect, he does seem to have more of a gift for finding the right spaces in the area. Correct me if I'm worng but I'm pretty sure he had more shots on target yesterday than Maynard did.

I don't know what to think about Maynard anymore, I wonder if we've all made excuses for him in the past, like 'lack of service' etc. I just can't believe we spent 2.5m on him. He seems more of a panic buy than ever right now. I hope he proves me wrong.

Akinde? - file under 'young players - one of whom will occasionally sit on the bench'.

On the plus side Maynard actually got a shot in this week. I wouldn't slate him too much for his performance yesterday. He played better than he has done for some time which is an improvement. If that shot had gone in when he hit the bar, or the other one when Haynes passed it with a backheel and Maynard hit it just too close to the keeper, nobody would be posting anything about him.

Archived