IGNORED

Reflections On Saturday

Martyn Hocking

I won't labour the point because the evidence was there for all to see, but a few things that left me scratching my head:

* Lee Johnson positioned on the end of the wall guarding the far post for a Donny free-kick in the second half - since when did the shortest player in the team take on this role???

* Subbing Danny Haynes at half-time - MOM by a mile in our last home game and we replace him with a like-for-like but not as good sub - if we needed to change our shape, how did this sub address that need???

* Hartley not brought on at half-time to add experience to a midfield that was being totally overrun - after he had turned the game for Scotland in midweek???

* No credible defensive subs on the bench to bring on when it was obvious that Fontaine and Nyatanga were both having a complete mare???

* No attempt to close the game down at any stage, by fair means or foul, after GJ had highlighted the need to do this pre-match???

* Zero passion/anger/leadership from the man with the armband at any stage???

* No attempt by our forwards to be the first line of defence even when it was obvious that LJ and Skuse couldn't cope???

I don't have answers, only questions but I really hope some of the above was addressed in training yesterday morning + this morning or we are going to get tonked by Palace.

I won't labour the point because the evidence was there for all to see, but a few things that left me scratching my head:

* Lee Johnson positioned on the end of the wall guarding the far post for a Donny free-kick in the second half - since when did the shortest player in the team take on this role???

* Subbing Danny Haynes at half-time - MOM by a mile in our last home game and we replace him with a like-for-like but not as good sub - if we needed to change our shape, how did this sub address that need???

* Hartley not brought on at half-time to add experience to a midfield that was being totally overrun - after he had turned the game for Scotland in midweek???

* No credible defensive subs on the bench to bring on when it was obvious that Fontaine and Nyatanga were both having a complete mare???

* No attempt to close the game down at any stage, by fair means or foul, after GJ had highlighted the need to do this pre-match???

* No attempt by our forwards to be the first line of defence even when it was obvious that LJ and Skuse couldn't cope???

I don't have answers, only questions but I really hope some of the above was addressed in training yesterday morning + this morning or we are going to get tonked by Palace.

I really hoped this should of been addressed sometime over the last year; since Styvar graced our turf; it has not and I see no hope of it being done over the next year if GJ is still here.

His boy and Skuse were never gonna hold the middle, this put to much pressure on the defence which buckled under the strain. With a want away loan striker and an out of form Maynard we were never gonna do it the other end either.

Its like grasping at straws every game :disapointed2se: who knows what hes gonna pick up or what "system" he will choose.

We can blame the players and captain even but the real blame lies with the man who picked them and the reported hassles he gives them. End of i.m.o or course.

Odd that the fans demanded 4-4-2 with 2 orthodox wingers who did not come inside and did not track back a la McIndoe. Be careful what you wish for?

Another view was that the fans wanted players who were comfortable playing in wide positions who could deliver crosses from somewhere nearer to the opponents goal than 10 yards inside their half. Can't remember anyone saying they wanted a winger who didn't track back and I certainly wouldn't put McIndoe in that category.

I really hoped this should of been addressed sometime over the last year; since Styvar graced our turf; it has not and I see no hope of it being done over the next year if GJ is still here.

His boy and Skuse were never gonna hold the middle, this put to much pressure on the defence which buckled under the strain. With a want away loan striker and an out of form Maynard we were never gonna do it the other end either.

Its like grasping at straws every game disapointed2se.gif who knows what hes gonna pick up or what "system" he will choose.

We can blame the players and captain even but the real blame lies with the man who picked them and the reported hassles he gives them. End of i.m.o or course.

I though Iwelumo was excellent in the first half and won nearly everything in the air. Maynard just didn't seem to be running off him to pick up the flick ons etc.

Another view was that the fans wanted players who were comfortable playing in wide positions who could deliver crosses from somewhere nearer to the opponents goal than 10 yards inside their half. Can't remember anyone saying they wanted a winger who didn't track back and I certainly wouldn't put McIndoe in that category.

I clearly didn't express myself well. McIndoe was criticised for coming inside to match up numbers in midfield and for tracking back so not being either forward or wide enough. Our wingers do neither of the things he did and that leaves us wide open. Finding a combination of McIndoe and JCR would certainly be nice.

I clearly didn't express myself well. McIndoe was criticised for coming inside to match up numbers in midfield and for tracking back so not being either forward or wide enough. Our wingers do neither of the things he did and that leaves us wide open. Finding a combination of McIndoe and JCR would certainly be nice.

My apologies. Re-read your post and understand what you were getting at now. Agree that a player with the best qualities of McIndoe and JCR would be good. Though I'd prefer it if they were left footed and played on the left.

Odd that the fans demanded 4-4-2 with 2 orthodox wingers who did not come inside and did not track back a la McIndoe. Be careful what you wish for?

Well it's clear now why City couldn't play like that last season.

It's also clear that they still can't play like that, because nothing has been done to change the defence or the centre of midfield.

What is concerning is that Johnson suddenly thought they could play that style without any reinforcement. I suspect he wanted JCR and Haynes to tuck in and track back like McIndoe and Sproule used to, and they let him down. Either way it's not an improvement.

A couple of points, Haynes was totally ineffective at Ipswich, and continued in the same way against Doncaster. No shock to see him subbed.

We had credible defensive cover in James Wilson. If he is not credible, he should not be on the books. It's a Johnson myth/ lie that inexperienced players cannot cope as evidenced by the Doncaster striker on loan from Arsenal. To be honest, it is unlikely that he could have been any worse than either Nyatanga or Fontaine.

We had credible defensive cover in James Wilson. If he is not credible, he should not be on the books. It's a Johnson myth/ lie that inexperienced players cannot cope as evidenced by the Doncaster striker on loan from Arsenal. To be honest, it is unlikely that he could have been any worse than either Nyatanga or Fontaine.

I couldn't agree more.

If he isn't going to get a half at 4-2 down when two of the back four are absolutely shocking then there seems to be little point in him ever being on the bench.

My subs at half time would have seen Fontaine and Johnson off for Wilson and Hartley, if JCR really wasn't fit enough to last the 90 as has since been stated, then the last sub could have been saved for when he was shattered.

Its like grasping at straws every game disapointed2se.gif who knows what hes gonna pick up or what "system" he will choose.

To be fair here GOB - he said he wants to return to his parent club to play Premier League football. I really don't see that as 'want away', I see that as a bloke wanting to return home and play a better standard of football. I don't think anyone has got a problem with that, have they?

If he stands on the post he can't get to the top of the goal. If he stands in the center of the wall the same problem exists as if he stands on the end of it. I hope you're not suggesting he's man marking in the box? Not entirely sure where people want him to be in defensive set play position. Everywhere he is will have a negative impact. I'd stick him up the pitch as it at least removes a opposition player from the attack and as he's technically good he may well be able to retain possession and be in an ideal position for the counter.

I do sense people are being negative for the sake of it, despite some very obvious and fair causes for concern.

Guys - I'm not knocking Wilson but GJ was never going to put a kid with so little experience on the pitch unless there was an injury. We needed a battle -hardened player who could push and pull the defence around and our squad is now so unbalanced we didn't have one. If we had managed to sign Shittu he would have been ideal.

Redhyde - I am never negative for 'the sake of it' - I'm a glass half full fan to the core - but the last man in the wall has to be the best defensive header you've got. Keeper guards near post, the wall guards far post, so the further down the wall you stand, the more likely you are to have to head the ball clear if the freekick taker goes for the far post.

To be fair here GOB - he said he wants to return to his parent club to play Premier League football. I really don't see that as 'want away', I see that as a bloke wanting to return home and play a better standard of football. I don't think anyone has got a problem with that, have they?

o.k. ok he would rather be somewhere else then, wouldnt we all :cool2:

* Just what did Orr say to the front row of the Eastend after the game? Anyone over hear????

Archived