IGNORED

Note To Lansdown

EIEIEIO

I rarely participate in this (or any) Forum - I don't really have the time. However, I strive to make time to watch my football team who I've supported through thick and thin for almost 40 years now.

Never in that time - even during some of the 'darker years' - have I seen a club fall so far short of realising its full potential. So, as someone who also heavily invests in it (time and, of course, money), I have to look at what might be causing this - and thus I feel compelled to add my ha'pence worth to this Forum.

Mr. Lansdown. Like myself, you are a businessman - and a lot more succesfull one at that. But as one (lesser) businessman to another, I must ask you to seriously consider making wholesale changes to the club into which you have invested so much. I must ask you to consider if you are happy at the way it is being managed - aside of the current poor performances? Please take a step back and view things from an outstide perspective. Is it not, perhaps, worth asking yourself whether there is a conflict of interests happening under your very nose? In what other commercial organisation - other than small, 'family-run' businesses - would you see a personnel set-up which includes a father employing a brother and a son, regardless of whether they are worth their salaries or not? And ask yourself: is this - indeed, has it been - right for your investment? Has it been right for the club? Has it been right for the interests of all those who passionately follow the club and, comparitively speaking, also put so much into it?

For the benefit of your investment, and that of the fans, the time is now right for your to consider whether the club's manager is viewing his position as nothing more than an opportunity to provide security for his direct family? Would you, for instance, and based on past performance, consider the club's chief scout worthy of his position if your club's manager wasn't his brother? Likewise his son.

Given the unrest that the team's current poor performance is generating, the time must surely be right for you to show your mettle and enforce some changes from the Boardroom. The fans deserve to see that their club's manager is putting the best interests of Bristol City FC first. While he continues to employ his brother and son, I am sure you can understand that it's very easy for the fans to be thinking otherwise.

As chairman, you have plenty of options open to you. All the fans are asking is that you consider them.

Well Alan Dicks certainly won the fans back and he subjected us to 6 years of relegation fights and abject misery before delivering the promised land, No promotion in his first full season.

Football was a different animal back then, the players actually played for the club not their pay packets.

Motivation is a big part of football these days and judging by yesterdays and many other games this season, our management team can't motivate our players.

BCAGFC

Football was a different animal back then, the players actually played for the club not their pay packets.

Motivation is a big part of football these days and judging by yesterdays and many other games this season, our management team can't motivate our players.

BCAGFC

So you are saying that the players are'nt pulling their weight, So surely the guilty ones should also be sacked as well?

You are so missing the point it's laughable, different animal different times every time GJ has asked he has usually got his wish when it comes to players he has wanted to bring in or is him and SL both lying? Why do you think Basso went?, Maybe because i don't care how good you are i not giving you stupid wages. I wish SL was in charge in the Dicks reign.

You are so missing the point it's laughable, different animal different times every time GJ has asked he has usually got his wish when it comes to players he has wanted to bring in or is him and SL both lying? Why do you think Basso went?, Maybe because i don't care how good you are i not giving you stupid wages. I wish SL was in charge in the Dicks reign.

I don't think I am missing the point, There is and has always been a theory in football that certain managers are great when they have little or no money to spend and I can think of 4 at BCFC's history Fred Ford, Terry Cooper, Alan Dicks and GJ and as soon as the purse strings were released they struggled.

GJ did'nt spend a lot in our promotion season and did'nt overly spend in our play off season, The past 2 seasons the purse strings have been released and he has struggled. I am not disagreeing whether GJ should go (but I think it needs to be at the end of the season) I am just disagreeing with your assumption that once you have lost certain sections of the crowd that it is impossible to get them back, History shows you can.

So you are saying that the players are'nt pulling their weight, So surely the guilty ones should also be sacked as well?

Possibly, all depends if there is a reason they are not pulling their weight.

If there is a reason, then it is not very professional but if you lose confidence in your leader then that could easily happen.

In the Dicks days, they were mostly young professionals brought together and their team spirit was unbelievable, a bit like our first season in the Championship.

But since that first season, something has gone badly wrong with player motivation for whatever reason.

BCAGFC

Possibly, all depends if there is a reason they are not pulling their weight.

If there is a reason, then it is not very professional but if you lose confidence in your leader then that could easily happen.

In the Dicks days, they were mostly young professionals brought together and their team spirit was unbelievable, a bit like our first season in the Championship.

But since that first season, something has gone badly wrong with player motivation for whatever reason.

BCAGFC

There can be NO reason not to put in 100%.

Whether we like him or not, I don't think anyone would accuse GJ of not putting in 100%, He may be out of his depth but i'm sure he is putting in 100%.

I rarely participate in this (or any) Forum - I don't really have the time. However, I strive to make time to watch my football team who I've supported through thick and thin for almost 40 years now.

Never in that time - even during some of the 'darker years' - have I seen a club fall so far short of realising its full potential. So, as someone who also heavily invests in it (time and, of course, money), I have to look at what might be causing this - and thus I feel compelled to add my ha'pence worth to this Forum.

Mr. Lansdown. Like myself, you are a businessman - and a lot more succesfull one at that. But as one (lesser) businessman to another, I must ask you to seriously consider making wholesale changes to the club into which you have invested so much. I must ask you to consider if you are happy at the way it is being managed - aside of the current poor performances? Please take a step back and view things from an outstide perspective. Is it not, perhaps, worth asking yourself whether there is a conflict of interests happening under your very nose? In what other commercial organisation - other than small, 'family-run' businesses - would you see a personnel set-up which includes a father employing a brother and a son, regardless of whether they are worth their salaries or not? And ask yourself: is this - indeed, has it been - right for your investment? Has it been right for the club? Has it been right for the interests of all those who passionately follow the club and, comparitively speaking, also put so much into it?

For the benefit of your investment, and that of the fans, the time is now right for your to consider whether the club's manager is viewing his position as nothing more than an opportunity to provide security for his direct family? Would you, for instance, and based on past performance, consider the club's chief scout worthy of his position if your club's manager wasn't his brother? Likewise his son.

Given the unrest that the team's current poor performance is generating, the time must surely be right for you to show your mettle and enforce some changes from the Boardroom. The fans deserve to see that their club's manager is putting the best interests of Bristol City FC first. While he continues to employ his brother and son, I am sure you can understand that it's very easy for the fans to be thinking otherwise.

As chairman, you have plenty of options open to you. All the fans are asking is that you consider them.

Of all the grounds on which you could criticise Gary Johnson, this is probably the weakest. Bizarre analysis of the problems facing BCFC in the extreme.

There can be NO reason not to put in 100%.

Whether we like him or not, I don't think anyone would accuse GJ of not putting in 100%, He may be out of his depth but i'm sure he is putting in 100%.

There is no doubt that GJ & the rest of the backroom staff put in more than 100% (I don't think even Robbored could argue with that), the players haven't/aren't and that is where the problem lies.

Why are they not giving 100% or are they being found out as poor footballers, and if so who signed them?.

BCAGFC

Why are they not giving 100% or are they being found out as poor footballers, and if so who signed them?.

BCAGFC

That's a different argument and not one you originally alluded to, although I understand where you are coming from.

I have always found it strange that when a team is losing and the manager is acknowledged as putting in 100% and the players are'nt, it's the manager who pays with his job, I understand it's the football way, But once the deed is done and GJ leaves I hope this forum has the decency to let this bunch of players know exactly what we think of them. it's probably a good reason to cap footballers pay and make them work for a minimum of 40 hours a week, Sorry that's the real world is'nt it.

Lansdown will sack him when it suits him and when he feels it's the right time, my view is that it will be when we are mathamatically safe.

Then it will give the new manager time to judge the current players before the end of the season.

That's a different argument and not one you originally alluded to, although I understand where you are coming from.

I have always found it strange that when a team is losing and the manager is acknowledged as putting in 100% and the players are'nt, it's the manager who pays with his job, I understand it's the football way, But once the deed is done and GJ leaves I hope this forum has the decency to let this bunch of players know exactly what we think of them. it's probably a good reason to cap footballers pay and make them work for a minimum of 40 hours a week, Sorry that's the real world is'nt it.

The players are responsible for some of our troubles, there is no doubt about that and they need to acknowledge that (but footballers rarely do, too many egos around these days).

There are only a handful of players that can hold their heads up and say I have been fairly consistent this season, the rest (including our uninspirational captain) need to have a long hard look at themselves at the end of the season and say "Did I deserve to earn my money this season".

The management also have to look at themselves and say "Did we do everything right/we could"?, the answer to that is NO because they got some formations/tactics & substitutions horribly wrong and also didn't use every option to them (academy players, premier league young ones).

BCAGFC

The players are responsible for some of our troubles, there is no doubt about that and they need to acknowledge that (but footballers rarely do, too many egos around these days).

There are only a handful of players that can hold their heads up and say I have been fairly consistent this season, the rest (including our uninspirational captain) need to have a long hard look at themselves at the end of the season and say "Did I deserve to earn my money this season".

The management also have to look at themselves and say "Did we do everything right/we could"?, the answer to that is NO because they got some formations/tactics & substitutions horribly wrong and also didn't use every option to them (academy players, premier league young ones).

BCAGFC

Now we are in complete agreement.

Excellent post Sir. clapping.gif Yes, I wouldn't employ a father, brother and son in highly paid positions of power within an organisation that I partly owned. Highly irregular and almost bound to lead to conflict.

Excellent post Sir. clapping.gif Yes, I wouldn't employ a father, brother and son in highly paid positions of power within an organisation that I partly owned. Highly irregular and almost bound to lead to conflict.

Alex Ferguson did almost exactly the same thing at Man Utd for several years - signed his son to play in midfield and used his brother Martin to negotiate key transfer deals. It's an arrangement that can end in tears and Fergie has fallen out irrevocably with the BBC over the way it portrayed his bother's role at the club, but in reality it is only an issue now because we are struggling - nobody really gave a stuff about it when we were winning and nobody was using it as evidence that Gary should be sacked (apart, possibly from RR...)

Alex Ferguson did almost exactly the same thing at Man Utd for several years - signed his son to play in midfield and used his brother Martin to negotiate key transfer deals. It's an arrangement that can end in tears and Fergie has fallen out irrevocably with the BBC over the way it portrayed his bother's role at the club, but in reality it is only an issue now because we are struggling - nobody really gave a stuff about it when we were winning and nobody was using it as evidence that Gary should be sacked (apart, possibly from RR...)

Well, actually, I did. I went down to the Gate on the day GJ signed his boy (it was a reserve game) and, after watching LJ, came away with the seeds of suspicion already planted.

I suspect that the PJ situation might make the same sort of interest to club fans as MPs' expenses have to the nation, too! (Any local journalists up for it...)

but in reality it is only an issue now because we are struggling - nobody really gave a stuff about it when we were winning and nobody was using it as evidence that Gary should be sacked (apart, possibly from RR...)

That's just simply not true though, because not long after he'd been signed, he got sussed out and the questions were being asked of Lee Johnson's ability? Questioning why he was in the team instead of Noble (then Carle, then Williams, now Hartley)

I recall in his first season here after scoring a goal for us, he was cupping his ear to the dolman stand because he was getting stick.

Johnson's been unpopular with sections of the fans almost as long as he's been here, many people have just never rated him as player and never will.

GJ has been unpopular with sections of fans as long ago as his arrival, and falling out with Stewart, & Flapper. He certainly aint got any PR skills.

GJ has been unpopular with sections of fans as long ago as his arrival, and falling out with Stewart, & Flapper. He certainly aint got any PR skills.

The fact that GJ 'fell out' with Stewart (a joke signing by Tinman) and Flapper (petulant, immature character now playing for, er... no idea) is evidence that he could spot trouble and had the good sense to get rid accordingly. Stewart was miles over the hill and Flapper was nowhere near good enough (he wasn't even good enough for the Gas, as it turned out).

GJ's PR skills have been far superior to those of his predecessor - anyone else remember Tinion blabbing to the press about 'summoning the players into my office to look them in the eye and see who's up for it'? - laughable and totally counterproductive.

That's just simply not true though, because not long after he'd been signed, he got sussed out and the questions were being asked of Lee Johnson's ability? Questioning why he was in the team instead of Noble (then Carle, then Williams, now Hartley)

I recall in his first season here after scoring a goal for us, he was cupping his ear to the dolman stand because he was getting stick.

Johnson's been unpopular with sections of the fans almost as long as he's been here, many people have just never rated him as player and never will.

If Lee isn't good enough to play in the Championship, how come he is the only player who has been loaned out to another Championship club (Derby - who played him regularly and wanted to keep him longer), whereas the likes of Gavin Williams, Ribs, Akinde etc get loaned to lower league teams?

If Williams is better than LJ how come he went to Yeovil on loan while Lee went to Derby? If Carle is better than LJ how come he has spent most of his time at Palace out of the first team?

The fact that GJ 'fell out' with Stewart (a joke signing by Tinman) and Flapper (petulant, immature character now playing for, er... no idea) is evidence that he could spot trouble and had the good sense to get rid accordingly. Stewart was miles over the hill and Flapper was nowhere near good enough (he wasn't even good enough for the Gas, as it turned out).

GJ's PR skills have been far superior to those of his predecessor - anyone else remember Tinion blabbing to the press about 'summoning the players into my office to look them in the eye and see who's up for it'? - laughable and totally counterproductive.

couldn't agree more - if there's one thing GJ has got it's PR skills...journos love him...whatever happened to the "quotes" thread - is it still on here?

Stewart was a dreadful signing with a wildly over inflated view of his value to the club...found his level at Yeovil...and Flapper...well who honestly regretted his departure?

Archived