IGNORED

How Things Have Changed...

Ashton Great

I've just come across a very interesting article from a couple of years back which paints a picture of a positive happy camp...

http://www.guardian....eatures.sport12

It all seems an awfully long way away now...

They said Jermaine Pennant was the next pele when Arsenal signed him at 14 from Notts County for £1million. Happy days are ahead unfortunetly without GJ thanks Gary bye.

P.S

He will do a great job for his next club i sure there are one or two who would snap his hand of.

What has changed and why does it seem Johnson has changed his approach and footballing philosophy?

An excellent, well-researched article that I remember reading at the time it was originally published.

It's interesting that the article says Johnson's favourite philosophy is 'telling the players they're underdogs'. How do you keep doing that and justify it after reaching a Championship play-off final though?

As for ditching wingers and an attacking, attractive style of play. One suspects pressure and fear of failure. Watching Chelsea be successful 'without width' seems to have played a part as well.

Brilliant article, those were the days...

Interestingly, McIndoe said this:

'You go into every game knowing exactly what he expects you to do. That's why people want to play for him.'

Sadly i think this is not the case anymore - with all the different formations and personnel this year, the players look totally lost out there - not like 2 or 3 years ago.

Archived