IGNORED

Squad Cost

cheese

Apparently the Forest squad cost £9m to put together. I know Maynard cost us £2.25m but I don't think we've spent that much elsewhere (although it probably does add up).

Are we comparable?

Probably will never get a confirmed answer as 12 of our 1st teamers show undisclosed costs.

But here goes:

Official Estimate

Akinde 140,000 140,000

Trundle 1,000,000 1,000,000

Maynard 2,250,000 2,250,000

Collis Free

Carey Free

Hartley Free

Henderson Free

Johnson Free

McAllister Free

Orr Free

skuse Home

Agyemang loan

Iwelumo loan

Saborio loan

sno loan

Velickia loan

CampbellRyce U/D 250,000

Clarkson U/D 800,000

Elliott U/D 250,000

Fontaine U/D 50,000

Gerken U/D 400,000

Haynes U/D 400,000

McCoombe U/D 50,000

Nyatanga U/D 400,000

Sproule U/D 500,000

Styvaar U/D 650,000

Williams U/D 300,000

Wilson U/D 150,000

Total 7590000

Styvaar U/D 650,000

:laugh:, fail by Johnson there.

Someone told me that 'Johnson' - I'm now not sure if they meant Gary or Pete - had 15% of PS's salary. They might, of course, have meant 15% of the transfer fee; I didn't question it as I'm now completely of the opinion that what goes on in football transfer deals is all about money and back-handers rather than players and the game itself. Players are now just pawns on a giant chessboard of football. The back row (king, queen, bishops, knights and castles) are the 'real' players!

Why choose Forest specifically? Forest have built a decent squad of mainly British players and have until recently made a good fist of competing with clubs that have a signficiantly bigger budget even than them. You can imagine where that puts them relative to the clubs lower down in the division, including City. Unsurprisingly all of the top three have big wage bills and can attract big players to their club, probably as a result of having a solid history and/or a dependable fanbase.

The better examples to look at are probably Swansea and Leicester who have done it on a shoestring. Though Leicester really don't look profoundly different to the Bristol City side that first came into this league - I wouldn't be surprised to see them go the same way over time if they don't get promoted this season.

Why choose Forest specifically? Forest have built a decent squad of mainly British players and have until recently made a good fist of competing with clubs that have a signficiantly bigger budget even than them. You can imagine where that puts them relative to the clubs lower down in the division, including City. Unsurprisingly all of the top three have big wage bills and can attract big players to their club, probably as a result of having a solid history and/or a dependable fanbase.

The better examples to look at are probably Swansea and Leicester who have done it on a shoestring. Though Leicester really don't look profoundly different to the Bristol City side that first came into this league - I wouldn't be surprised to see them go the same way over time if they don't get promoted this season.

I picked Forest simply because I was watching the ITV footie programme last night and they mentioned it - they were comparing it to WBA but I didn't catch what they said about them. So I was just curious that's all.

Fail by Styvaar more like, he was given a massive oppetunity and he *****ed it up! Had the skill, didnt have the application. STYVAARFAIL.ORG

He was awfull, more money wasted,think of all the loanees we have, plus all the players WE have on loan at other clubs and the money Johnson is wasting is crazy.

40 strikers in 4 years, whens Johnson going to realise they cant all be bad and that if they got some proper service it may just helpwhistle.gif .

The way he is running the playing side of our club at the moment is patheticyes.gif

Probably will never get a confirmed answer as 12 of our 1st teamers show undisclosed costs.

But here goes:

Official Estimate

Akinde 140,000 140,000

Trundle 1,000,000 1,000,000

Collis Free

Carey Free

Hartley Free

Henderson Free

Johnson Free

McAllister Free

Orr Free

skuse Home

Agyemang loan

Iwelumo loan

Saborio loan sno

loan Velickia

loan CampbellRyce U/D 250,000

Clarkson U/D 800,000

Elliott U/D 250,000

Fontaine U/D 50,000

Gerken U/D 400,000

Haynes U/D 400,000

McCoombe U/D 50,000

Nyatanga U/D 400,000

Sproule U/D 500,000

Styvaar U/D 650,000

Williams U/D 300,000

Wilson U/D 150,000

Total 7590000

If you take those values - and there not far away except for Mccombe who was documented as £5K release clause - then the most worrying thing is that of £7.5 Million spent.....£3.5 Million has gone on players who have never been good/consistent enough to hold down a regular first team place, which makes a mockery of the often quoted mantra (by all managers including GJ) that you only buy if a player is better than what you have already.

So -

Akinde 140,000

Trundle 1,000,000

Clarkson U/D 800,000

Sproule U/D 500,000

Styvaar U/D 650,000

Williams U/D 300,000

Wilson U/D 150,000

Saborio loan (must have been a loan fee £unknown)

Agyemang loan ditto

sno loan ditto

total £3.5M

None of the above have ever been regular first 11 players - Akinde's time may come but all the others have been bad buys IMO

The successes

Collis Free

Hartley Free

Henderson Free

Johnson Free

McAllister Free

Iwelumo loan

CampbellRyce U/D 250,000

Elliott U/D 250,000

Fontaine U/D 50,000

Gerken U/D 400,000

Haynes U/D 400,000

McCoombe U/D 5,000

Nyatanga U/D 400,000

Approx £4M (I've not included Carey,Orr,Skuse as these were here pre GJ)

The bottom line is (if you estimate and add loan fees on the first list for Sno, Saborio, Agyemang) that it's approaching 50/50 in terms of the almost £8 Million spent - half spent well and half spent poorly.

All managers will make some mistakes in the transfer market - All will sign players that don't perform as expected but 50% of £8M spent on players not good enough for the CCC is very poor.

GJ must be the luckiest manager in the CCC to work for SL, I don't think any other club chairman could afford a 50% success rate and still continue to back the manager with more signings and expensive loans despite the high level of questionable buys.

To me it comes down to this question regardless of what has been achieved in the past - as we are where we are NOW and it's the next step and next season that's the focus.

Q: Is there another manager - willing to come to BCFC - who could do better (than GJ) with the substantial funds provided by SL and take the club forward from this point .

I believe there is -

or to put it another way.......you are SL and GJ comes to you in the summer for another £2M (minimum) for a LB, CB, MF, CF ????

CR

The bottom line is (if you estimate and add loan fees on the first list for Sno, Saborio, Agyemang) that it's approaching 50/50 in terms of the almost £8 Million spent - half spent well and half spent poorly.

I agree with your overall point Codered it's a bit unfair to pick on Sno who has been injured for a month. He's a good player but Gj doesn't know how to make the most of him

Archived