IGNORED

Defensive Stats

fka dagest

Last 4 matches - conceded 10

In 2010 - conceded 27

FRom August 2009 until Christmas - conceded 33

--

Since Christmas, we've conceded almost as many goals in just under 3 months (with another 3 games to play, until the end of March) as we did in the first 5 months of the season.

So, Bristol City staff, GJ etc, whoever is looking, the stats, for what they are, show that the DEFENCE has problems, which urgently need addressing!

the weird thing is, that the problems have really begun since Basso and dare I say it... McCombe have disappeared from the scene. Just perhaps, those two actually communicated and had an understanding. Whatever, I think our best chance of consolidating quickly means sorting out the rearguard.

Last 4 matches - conceded 10

In 2010 - conceded 27

FRom August 2009 until Christmas - conceded 33

--

Since Christmas, we've conceded almost as many goals in just under 3 months (with another 3 games to play, until the end of March) as we did in the first 5 months of the season.

So, Bristol City staff, GJ etc, whoever is looking, the stats, for what they are, show that the DEFENCE has problems, which urgently need addressing!

the weird thing is, that the problems have really begun since Basso and dare I say it... McCombe have disappeared from the scene. Just perhaps, those two actually communicated and had an understanding. Whatever, I think our best chance of consolidating quickly means sorting out the rearguard.

Precisely but it was not just the management. In the transfer window this forum was obsessed with wingers as people indulged in fantasies of us thrashing Championship sides with 4-4-2. Only a minority suggested a centre half was a higher priority, despite the evidence over the last year (especially the endless stream of late goals conceded). So Gary just bought into what the fans wanted when what we needed was to become harder to score against. And that was evident in the second half of last season, long before McCombe was injured.

Precisely but it was not just the management. In the transfer window this forum was obsessed with wingers as people indulged in fantasies of us thrashing Championship sides with 4-4-2. Only a minority suggested a centre half was a higher priority, despite the evidence over the last year (especially the endless stream of late goals conceded). So Gary just bought into what the fans wanted when what we needed was to become harder to score against. And that was evident in the second half of last season, long before McCombe was injured.

Its a bit worrying if his reason for doing things is based only on what the fans want. As you rightly say some of us were more concerned at the way just about every side was slicing through our defence with relative ease, did GJ maybe need more of us fans to tell him where his priority should be?

Whatever happened to the rumour of our interest in Danny Shittu?

I should add that whilst many were banging on about wingers, others were concerned with getting at least some width into our play, which doesn't necessarily mean playing with out and out wingers, you'd like to think the management would understand that!

Its a bit worrying if his reason for doing things is based only on what the fans want. As you rightly say some of us were more concerned at the way just about every side was slicing through our defence with relative ease, did GJ maybe need more of us fans to tell him where his priority should be?

Whatever happened to the rumour of our interest in Danny Shittu?

I should add that whilst many were banging on about wingers, others were concerned with getting at least some width into our play, which doesn't necessarily mean playing with out and out wingers, you'd like to think the management would understand that!

His actions for much of this season have been those of a man feeling the pressure. I suspect (though I speculate of course) the complaints of vociferous fans got to him and he started doing what was expedient rather than what he thought was right. He certainly wouldn't be the first manager to fall into that trap. While he talked about the need to replace McIndoe at no point did he talk about strengthening the defence, which leaves me baffled given our appalling defending. As to Shittu, as you say a rumour. He has been linked to umpteen clubs but appears to be happy not playing on good wages,

Archived