IGNORED

Are We Greedy?

ollywhyte

Not particularly, it's yet another case of a fan harking back to irrelevant things in the past, it doesn't matter where we were 4/5 years ago, it matters where we are now and where we are hading, and we are not heading to a good place, i said before Christmas that Johnson should be given January to rectify the obvious deficiencies in our squad, and 1 winger and 2 strikers later our defence is still the shambles it has been all season, and is still showing the exact same frailties to a much greater extent that it was from our first season in this league, it is this systmatic failure to identify our weaknesses that has meant i feel there is no other choice than to get rid.

In our first season we could have done with a commanding centre half and a left back, but there were much higher priorities, we needed some creativity in midfield mainly to supply chances for our strikers who had never had a problem scoring before they came here, but the blame was lumped on the strikers and the striker merry go round began in ernest.

After the playoff's it was plainly obvious that if we wanted to repeat our success that we were going to have to score more goals, so Maynard is brought in to do just that, but the root cause of the problems, namely that our midfield, McIndoe excepted was about as creative as a door nail, this problem still wasn't rectified, meanwhile our defence is beginning to show some serious deficiencies as teams that have one begin to seriously target our left side as they are well aware of McCallisters defensive weaknesses. January comes and we bring in another striker or 10 who probably styvar excepted all had the ability to score a few goals, but still the major issue of midfield is ignored, McIndoe still goes on being our only consistant creative player in the middle and bags a good few goals as well. By now it's glaringly obvious to anyone with eyes that our defence is looking decidedly weak so work needs doing there.

Then summer arives and Johnson decides it's a good idea to get rid of our only creative midfielder, and go for a lop sided squad instead, and turn one decent full back (orr) and one woefully inconsistant one at best into wing backs when both, especially orr are distinctly poor going forward, struggle to cross consistantly well, so are about as ideal candidates for wing backs as i am, Glen Johnson and Ashley cole can play that roll, Orr and McCallister simply can't and were never going to be able to, anyone could see that. We bring in yet more strikers, decide to go with no wingers and play narrow, despite our width on the left side being our only regular source of assists and goals for the past two seasons from midfield, and rid ourselfs of the ability to play 4-4-2 or even 4-5-1 which had served us well enough over the last two seasons, we bring in Nyatanga who is decent but is not the commanding centre back that by now we are desperately crying out for. We get some creativity in midfield but then destroy this by limiting it's effectiveness by having the width provided by 2 full backs who are generally shite at going forward. The season begins and we are painfully inconsistant but with some bright displays scattered very, very sparcely around. We get closer and closer to the January transfer window and our defence is by now a joke and is in deserate need of a leader as Carey for whatever reason isn't doing it and against most sides we are getting dominated, so what do we get a left winger and some more ******* strikers.

January sealed the deal for me, i'm sorry but if you can't even identify that our defence was a shambles (which even the most ardent optimists on here more than noticed) and do something about it then you have clearly lost your way and it's time to move on.

I think based on the performances and results in the last 18 months, and taking into account the amount of money we've spent on transfers and wages, including the large amount of seemingly unneccessary loan signings it is fair to say that the time has come for change. I base my decision on the present, not the past!

I think based on the performances and results in the last 18 months, and taking into account the amount of money we've spent on transfers and wages, including the large amount of seemingly unneccessary loan signings it is fair to say that the time has come for change. I base my decision on the present, not the past!

I echo this and so do most city fans i know, its all about the here and now and unfortunately we are slowly but surely going backwards and we need a change to hault this slide.

Imho GJ has served his orginal purpose which was to get out of the third tier and then everything else after that was a bonus (the play-off final was a HUGE bonus beyond most fans and probably at the time the chairmans dreams) and we are all grateful for this. We are now established at this level and i thank him a lot for that, but everyone reaches there level in life, weather that be in Football or any other proffesion and GJ has now reached that stage.

Archived