IGNORED

Where Precisely

cityfan

Firstly, Gary Johnson has done an excellent job in his time at the club. Everybody acknowledges, I am sure, their gratitude for his success in getting us into The Championship AND, as it currently stands, keeping us there.

However, for me these are the key things, that we can see and hear as a supporter, that probably caused his demise

1. He said from the start that 'players have to affect the game' and if they don't then someone else gets a chance. Well, for a long while, far too many players have not affected games and even so, others have not been given a chance. In my opinion, he didn't action his belief, probably through fear of things getting worse

2. He always said he didn't like to change the team too much. Well, for most of this season he has been the Claudio Ranieri of Bristol. Lots of tinkering to be fair, but in his partial defence we have had alot of illness and injury issues

3. Far too many strikers brought into the club. Test our permanent employees first before you put outsiders before them. Also, teams build from the back and we seemed to be trying to build from the front WHEN we are leaking goals and supply to our forwards is poor. In all fairness, this has been THE constant issue during his reign. A lack of supply resulting in a lack of goals. Not the forwards fault!

4. The message to the fans has always been we will work hard, but for me that is a given, you expect it. I think he should have allowed some flair to develop in the team combined with hard workers. All teams need this. So Noble, Trundle and even Stewart wre assets not realised or appreciated

Finally, I don't think getting rid of him will change our situation this year. With or without him, I think we will remain in The Championship. The one problem though appears to be player revolt. You cannot have that in any team, beit football or commercial. Once the 'team' is against you, you're finished. As a result, it probably doesn't augur well for his Son, Brother and I think Keith Millen.

If players have gone against him, the reality will be that with a new manager coming in, many of them will be surplus to requirements come the summer so this whole sorry episode means that both the management and the playing staff lose out.

It's not an ideal world, but people don't realise how lucky they are. All they had to do was compromise and work for each other

Said on the player revolt thread that a major factor was his loyalty to players who weren't performing yet continued to play and were given new contracts. He was naive if he though that loyalty would be repaid. I imagine he won't make the same mistake again.

At the time of the Marcus Stewart/Steve Phillips business I commented on here that GJ was managing the situation poorly.

Stewart & Phillips may well have been Prima Donnas with ideas above their station but aevery manager in any business up and down the country has those personality types and has to deal with them.

The secret to management, any management, is to handle people, their personalities, their issues, their hopes, dreams, fears, aspirations etc and to coax a PERFORMANCE from them. It is about flexibility, modern management is not like the army (I would imagine the army isn't like the army any more), you do not just bark orders and commands which are to be blindly followed. The best managers, in any walk of life, know when the 'hairdryer treatment' is needed but also know when to put an arm round a shoulder. The "My way or the Highway" philosophy died out in the real world a long time ago.

There are those on here that referred to GJ as "Sergeant Major Johnson", I fear this was probably close to the mark. For me, GJ woulld do well to realise that a little humility is not a sign of weakness but actually strength.

At the time of the Marcus Stewart/Steve Phillips business I commented on here that GJ was managing the situation poorly.

Stewart & Phillips may well have been Prima Donnas with ideas above their station but aevery manager in any business up and down the country has those personality types and has to deal with them.

The secret to management, any management, is to handle people, their personalities, their issues, their hopes, dreams, fears, aspirations etc and to coax a PERFORMANCE from them. It is about flexibility, modern management is not like the army (I would imagine the army isn't like the army any more), you do not just bark orders and commands which are to be blindly followed. The best managers, in any walk of life, know when the 'hairdryer treatment' is needed but also know when to put an arm round a shoulder. The "My way or the Highway" philosophy died out in the real world a long time ago.

There are those on here that referred to GJ as "Sergeant Major Johnson", I fear this was probably close to the mark. For me, GJ woulld do well to realise that a little humility is not a sign of weakness but actually strength.

Having his son in the dressing room may have been his bigist mistake, could players talk openly about any aspect of the club without the thought that it may be relayed back to his father. I don,t know if this happened ,just a possibility it may have

Archived