IGNORED

Potential Cvs

Red_Mat

Ok, the dust is still settling, but obviously now there are lots of names are being bandied about, many of whom are just comical or spurious, whilst others are a lot more realistic.

Whether they are Steve Coppell, Steve McLaren, Alan Curbishley, Phil Brown, Keith Millen, Gareth Southgate, Sean O'Driscoll, Paul Tisdale, Mark Robins, Paul Jewell, George Burley, Gary Megson, Louis Carey, Paul Ince, Scott Murray, Mark Hughes, Terry Venables, Mark Cooper, Eddie Howe, Alan Irvine, Aidy Boothroyd, Brian Tinnion, Danny Wilson, Jim Magilton, Paul Hartley, Marcus Stewart, Russell Slade, Keith Hill, Steve Tilson, Dennis Wise, or Paul Trollope (hey, I said comical!), they're all going to bring something different to the job.

But what does City need right now? Let's use the 30 names (and Trollope) above as a fairly comprehensive list. (Others will crop up, but these are a good starting point.)

We know SL likes stability. He wants to build 'something' at City, and wants a manager who can see us into our new stadium, get us into the Premier League and create some sort of legacy. Look at the managers he's worked with: Wilson, Tinnion and Johnson - three in almost 10 years. He gave a considerable amont of time and backing to two, and would have done the third if we hadn't been in trouble.

So he wants a manager who is going to be around for sometime, suggesting it rules out anyone too old, such as Terry Venables (67).

It rules out anyone too ambitious. He's not interested in the sort of manager who touts his own name whenever one of the top jobs is available. So surely this rules out Paul Ince or Dennis Wise.

SL would also rule out anyone too young, such as those who have just finished, or are still, playing. He's been down that road once before with Tinnion, and it didn't work, and he wouldn't make that mistake again. This rules out Hartley, Carey, Murray, Stewart, and probably Millen in the long term due to a lack of managerial experience (as well as association with the previous regime).

Talking of which, he's not going to go back and employ someone he's employed before: so no Tinnion or Wilson.

With talk of unrest, and perhaps even a lack of discipline, among the players at the moment, SL must recognise that we need a strong manager who can bring this team together. Someone with a good reputation, well-known and experienced is key. So, if the chairman is to appoint now, it probably means a manager with experience in these situations, and rules out those young or inexperienced, such as: Southgate, Tisdale, Cooper, Howe, Hill and Tilson.

Of course, if SL makes an interim appointment (say, Millen) until the summer, things would be different and some of these may come back into consideration. But I don't think he'll wait that long.

We also have to be very realistic about budget. We're in the Championship, not the Champions League. So that rules out McLaren and Hughes, as good as they both are.

Let's also give Mr L plenty of credit, he's not stupid, so wouldn't appoint a Rovers manager - no Trollope - or an ex-Rovers player - no Boothroyd - or a tango-manager - so no Phil Brown. I also don't think he'd go for an ex-Yeovil manager again, either (especially as he's just been sacked!), so no Slade. Let's also rule out anyone who's already moved once this season, (Robins and Irvine) as the chances of them moving again are very slim.

So that leaves: Coppell, Curbishley, O'Driscoll, Jewell, Burley, Megson and Magilton. Ok, let's take off Jim Magilton because...well...we all know he's rubbish.

So that leaves six:

Steve Coppell

Alan Curbishley

Sean O'Driscoll

Paul Jewell

George Burley

Gary Megson

All but one (O'Driscoll) are unemployed and available. Also, all but one (O'Driscoll) have experience of getting clubs out of the Championship into the Premier League. All of them but two (Curbishley and O'Driscoll) have also 'dropped down' to the Championship after managing in the Premier League, which mean we must be on their 'radar' as possible employers.

These factors all have to be seen as very positive. As well as this, most of them have the experience, knowledge and reputation which would be hugely beneficial right now. Most of them are loyal, too, as they have all at some point, been in at least one job for 4 years or more during their career.

So, if we are to appoint before the season's end, I would imagine it would be someone from this shortlist, with Coppell and Curbishley probably the frontrunners at the moment.

Anyone have anyone different to add to the list?

An interesting way of whittling the names down and ending up with 2 of the 5 I've seen most speculated about on here.

I don't know too much about Curbishly and coppell, some people seem to love them to be here when others saying a firm no. From what I can decide though is that people think these 2 would only consider a Prem club.

I guess if SL really is interested in either he would tell them you can have a Prem club, you just got to build the team and make it happen yourself.

Good Post.

Unfortunately i dont think you can rule Brown out...

And Personally i think Jewell would be a good appointment...

Paul Lambert?

Indeed, I was a little flippant to rule out Brown, but he has become a caricature of himself, and I really can't see Lansdown wanting to work with someone like him.

I very briefly considered Paul Lambert, but forgot to add him on - plus, he's at a big club in Norwich, where's he onto a good thing, and has only just joined, too. Can't see him leaving there for us, unfortunately!

Archived