IGNORED

O Driscol Would Cost 1 Million

WellRedPhil

The Evening Post posted an article earlier claiming O Driscol would cost 1 million:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/sport/Bristol-City-need-pay-163-1-million-land-Doncaster-boss-O-Driscoll/article-1929572-detail/article.html

I'm personally a big fan of the work he's done at Donny, and think he'd be a good appointment, however with the amount of managers that are currently free agents atm, this is maybe a bit steep. Wondering on other people's views, and whether or not they'd consider this a good appointment, or whether they believe it would be too costly.

Depends on who is available and who is realisticly going to come to City. If we can get Curbishley/Coppell/McLaren/Hoddle I would rather have them over O'Driscoll due to his lack of experience at the top level, and the proven qualities of those mentioned. However, I would definately pay the 1 million over taking sub-standard managers like Tango Brown and Southgate

Guest BristolCityFC

O'Driscol is good, but im pushing towards wanting curbs/coppell more because although Odriscols done very well at doncaster, he might not be able to cope with a bigger club, with more finances available to him, hes used to making sh~t players, good on a tight budget, and he doesnt have any experience in competiting against the big boys up towards promotion to the Premier League

as for the £1m, wouldnt it be better for the cheaper option, considering the debt we have started to grow with all the players wev signed wages, and the pay of to gj

Depends on who is available and who is realisticly going to come to City. If we can get Curbishley/Coppell/McLaren/Hoddle I would rather have them over O'Driscoll due to his lack of experience at the top level, and the proven qualities of those mentioned. However, I would definately pay the 1 million over taking sub-standard managers like Tango Brown and Southgate

Yeah I see your point, my first choice would be Coppel, although I'm a big fan of what O Driscol has achieved. I don't think McLaren's a realistic target tbh and Hoddle wouldn't be my personal preferance. Steve doesn't seem in too much of a rush though and if we pick up the points we need over the next few games he may even wait until the summer by the sound of things!

Doncasters' lesson was not the first I have seen at Ashton Gate delivered by the hand of 'SOD'.

I remember him coming with his Bournemouth team and playing the brand of football I would love to see from the home side at Ashton Gate.

He seems to have good contacts with loanees from Arsenal and Sheffield United. Could he do it here? I don't know, but I'd like to see him try.

He'd be worth the £1m compensation in my opinion. I imagine he'd also be on significantly less wages than say Curbishley or Coppell as well, so could work out better financially in the long run.

An interesting post, you'd expect him to be on a lower wage than certainly Curbs, but he'd need to be here a long time to make up for it financially. However, obviously if Landsdown feels he is the one, then it would be a price that is worth it. I love the way he has made Donny click, and some of the football they played at the Gate was fantatsic, their movement was simply sensational. There will always be question marks on whether a manager who has worked on a tight budget can handle a bigger budget/squad, but it may be good to have someone like him bring the best out of our existing players.

One thing I will say, is if he was appointed, my immediate reaction would be positive.

SOD would be well worth the £1m. Everyone gets excited about £1m players, why not managers?

Big question is, would he come here?

As Natcher says, I've been watching his teams for a long time now, always pleasing on the eye - and proving at Doncaster that he can do well on a limited budget. Would be ideal.

An interesting post, you'd expect him to be on a lower wage than certainly Curbs, but he'd need to be here a long time to make up for it financially. However, obviously if Landsdown feels he is the one, then it would be a price that is worth it. I love the way he has made Donny click, and some of the football they played at the Gate was fantatsic, their movement was simply sensational. There will always be question marks on whether a manager who has worked on a tight budget can handle a bigger budget/squad, but it may be good to have someone like him bring the best out of our existing players.

One thing I will say, is if he was appointed, my immediate reaction would be positive.

O'Driscoll has always spent time at a club to build something. I don't see him as the type of person to jump ship at the first opportunity, very much like Johnson. He's a very well respected manager and every time we play against one of his teams, our players are always positive about the job he's done and the style of football he plays.

All managers are a risk, I think O'Driscoll is one of the less riskier appointments.

I think the 1m compensation will not be the biggest factor that Steve L will consider. After all, Sean O'driscoll's style of football might have increased the likes of Billy Sharp's transfer value by a couple of million. Not the best example and I know as he's only on loan. But the point is if the new appointment can add value to existing players, bring on promising academy players to being valuable first team assets and deal well in the transfer market then 1m compensation is loose change compared to the return he will bring. The other factor is that O'driscoll likes to play attractive football so, in theory, that should help attendance figures. Ultimately though SL will bring in the manager he thinks will take the Club to the Premier League without breaking the bank and risking financial stability.

The Evening Post posted an article earlier claiming O Driscol would cost 1 million:

http://www.thisisbri...il/article.html

I'm personally a big fan of the work he's done at Donny, and think he'd be a good appointment, however with the amount of managers that are currently free agents atm, this is maybe a bit steep. Wondering on other people's views, and whether or not they'd consider this a good appointment, or whether they believe it would be too costly.

Smoke screen IMO

We should not give that scum a wage. Never.

Spot on, Not one member of my family would step foot inside ashton gate should that Hoddle ever be appointed manager, and I would also imagine building a disabled section at the new stadium would be a waste of time too while he has anything to do with our club.

Archived