IGNORED

Stevel - Here's What We're Looking For

red badger

Let's assume that Steve L or people near him read this Forum...and that he's inundated with applications from would be managers. What are we on this forum looking for? What would be in our job description? And who fits the bill and makes into onto our shortlist?

I'd say we should be looking for:

1. Proven experience of managing successfully at Championship level or equivalent

2. A track record of achieving promotions

3. Experience of building a club, its fan base and reputation

4. Proven experience of managing players with international experience and egos

5. A reputation for playing attractive football and good references to support this

And of course a hunger for the job.

Of the candidates mentioned so far who fits that bill? If you could interview 5 candidates, who would they be?

Let's assume that Steve L or people near him read this Forum...and that he's inundated with applications from would be managers. What are we on this forum looking for? What would be in our job description? And who fits the bill and makes into onto our shortlist?

1. Proven experience of managing successfully at Championship level or equivalent

5. A reputation for playing attractive football and good references to support this

Of the candidates mentioned so far who fits that bill? If you could interview 5 candidates, who would they be?

Steve Coppell it is then. Please.

point 5 would be my main priority at this moment in time because of the dire football we have witnessed these last couple of seasons, so on that basis i would pull out all the stops to get o'driscoll or coppell.

some people might not agree because of their personality (coppell) or lack of proper success at this level (o'driscoll) but i would just love to be going down the gate every other saturday knowing that at the very least we would be watching attractive football.

point 5 would be my main priority at this moment in time because of the dire football we have witnessed these last couple of seasons, so on that basis i would pull out all the stops to get o'driscoll or coppell.

some people might not agree because of their personality (coppell) or lack of proper success at this level (o'driscoll) but i would just love to be going down the gate every other saturday knowing that at the very least we would be watching attractive football.

Can't argue with those two, but I'd also throw George BUrley into the mix - his sides always play attrative football (not necessarily winning though - who can forget all those play-off finals Ipswich lost!)

All very nice but, lets be honest. What you really meant to say was , find someone who can get us into the premier league NOW. or at least in one season before we turn on him. There are 92 league clubs , how many play nice but, Winning football,to the point of winning something like promotion or the league title? every year? If we as a club played nice football but ended just outside the playoffs every year would you or anyone else be happy? No, you would be calling for the manger to go because he'd taken us as far as he could go. I wonder where I,ve heard that before? Even Chelsea are criticised for playing 'narrow' without width(no wingers) Liverpool for being boring (grinding out results). Who's fixture list would you rather have/ Stoke City's or Doncaster Rovers? or Rochdale's. (apparently Rochdale are playing some (Lovely football). Who ever comes in it may take at least 2 or 3 seasons to get the players he wants to play the way he wants. With our supporters lack of patience and the need for instant gratification I dont think it would be long before rumblings of discontent were heard in the Williams library. So , never mind the quality then, Bring us the prize. Teams like Newcastle and West Brom are bigger and have the benefit of MONEY and lots of it to fund them. So, not much competition then?

Steve Coppell fits all those points for me. Think O'Driscoll still needs to prove himself more although he does play attractive football.

Steve Maclaren - NOOOOOOOO

Just seen Phil Brown coming out of a Tanning studio in Gloucester Road, heading for Carphone Warehouse to tune in a new headsetdancing6.gif

Steve Coppell fits all those points for me. Think O'Driscoll still needs to prove himself more although he does play attractive football.

it does make me laugh that any Bristol City fan would say no to a club manager of that quality.

All very nice but, lets be honest. What you really meant to say was , find someone who can get us into the premier league NOW. or at least in one season before we turn on him. There are 92 league clubs , how many play nice but, Winning football,to the point of winning something like promotion or the league title? every year? If we as a club played nice football but ended just outside the playoffs every year would you or anyone else be happy? No, you would be calling for the manger to go because he'd taken us as far as he could go. I wonder where I,ve heard that before? Even Chelsea are criticised for playing 'narrow' without width(no wingers) Liverpool for being boring (grinding out results). Who's fixture list would you rather have/ Stoke City's or Doncaster Rovers? or Rochdale's. (apparently Rochdale are playing some (Lovely football). Who ever comes in it may take at least 2 or 3 seasons to get the players he wants to play the way he wants. With our supporters lack of patience and the need for instant gratification I dont think it would be long before rumblings of discontent were heard in the Williams library. So , never mind the quality then, Bring us the prize. Teams like Newcastle and West Brom are bigger and have the benefit of MONEY and lots of it to fund them. So, not much competition then?

Haha! well summed up!

steve coppel is the stand out candidate for all the requirements mentioned. also likes bringing on youngsters when ready, and well done millie for giving ribs 90 mins

Whats he done?

He won the league cup at Boro.

He got them to the final of the euro minor trophy.

His net transfer spend to do that was about £50m and included such gems as paying:

£8.5m for Massimo Maccarone

£3.5m for Michael Ricketts

£3m for Malcolm Christie

all of whom went on free transfers.

I won't mention the England debacle since giving him that job was something that Barwick should have been hung, drawn and quartered for.

For me his reputation as a manager was based more on his connections as assistant than his actually ability as the man in charge.

His net transfer spend to do that was about £50m and included such gems as paying:

£3m for Malcolm Christie

I won't mention the England debacle since giving him that job was something that Barwick should have been hung, drawn and quartered for.

For me his reputation as a manager was based more on his connections as assistant than his actually ability as the man in charge.

you should become a manager Nibor. You'd never buy a player that didnt work out you know more than most managers about tactics and formations. Hopefully your application is in the post.

where is the team Mclaren's managing at the moment?

It's a good list of criteria - quite demanding so we probably won't get everything.

I think Burley and Coppell meet those criteria though.

£3m for Malcolm Christie

I do find it funny that you are belittling a manager for getting an average team to the final of a "minor euro cup" or for winning the league cup

So if he won the UEFA Cup with City you wouldn't class it as an achievement?

BTW, Maccarone is now one of Serie A's top strikers

you should become a manager Nibor. You'd never buy a player that didnt work out you know more than most managers about tactics and formations. Hopefully your application is in the post.

Nope, it doesn't pay well enough thanks. I think if you actually looked into it instead of just going on his name you might realise that his record for signings was pretty damn poor considering the resources he was given.

where is the team Mclaren's managing at the moment?

Doing well in a fairly weak league.

I do find it funny that you are belittling a manager for getting an average team to the final of a "minor euro cup" or for winning the league cup

I'm not belittling him, I'm explaining that I think his reputation is overblown and why.

So if he won the UEFA Cup with City you wouldn't class it as an achievement?

Silly question? a) we're not Boro b) he didn't win it c) I didn't say it wasn't an achievement to get to the final...

Do you think what Boro got was a decent return for £50m net spent on signings? (before we even look at wages).

BTW, Maccarone is now one of Serie A's top strikers

But he was a total waste of money for Boro and IMO predictably so.

Nope, it doesn't pay well enough thanks. I think if you actually looked into it instead of just going on his name you might realise that his record for signings was pretty damn poor considering the resources he was given.

Doing well in a fairly weak league.

Shame. Someone who knows it all is wasted sitting in the stands.

Without comparing what other teams were spending at that time its impossible to judge. Fact is he won Boro a major domestic honour and got to the final of a major european final.

That weak league is one Twente have done nothing in for decades aswell as their cup competition. They're top with a few games to go

He's not my preferred choice and shouldnt of been England manager. But if we only choose managers who could do that job well we will be choosing from a very small and expensive pool.

I'm not belittling him, I'm explaining that I think his reputation is overblown and why.

Fair enough and I agree to a degree about his reputation. But we're Bristol City in the Championship, I could understand your sentiments more if we were a top 10 Premier League side. I think hes far too good for us and wouldn't come anyway.

But he was a total waste of money for Boro and IMO predictably so.

Based on the fact that Fergie spent 28 million on Veron and 7 million for Forlan I would like to tell Fergie right now to not even consider about applying for the job. Regardless of the fact Forlan scored 32 goals in La Liga in 2008 it still means Fergie is a bad manager. Besides Djemba-Djemba and Kleberson were rubbish too. Personally I wont dismiss a manager due to some bad signings, they all make them. He's done a brilliant job at FC Twente and to my understanding he hasn't spent greatly to achieve it.

Shame. Someone who knows it all is wasted sitting in the stands.

Without comparing what other teams were spending at that time its impossible to judge. Fact is he won Boro a major domestic honour and got to the final of a major european final.

That weak league is one Twente have done nothing in for decades aswell as their cup competition. They're top with a few games to go

He's not my preferred choice and shouldnt of been England manager. But if we only choose managers who could do that job well we will be choosing from a very small and expensive pool.

I don't claim to know it all thanks, I just don't think McLaren is very good and I wouldn't want him here. There's more to it than just his record, every time I've seen him interviewed he hasn't sounded the part to me and I think he's too chummy with his players.

I think what he achieved at Boro was insufficient given his resources - he spent FIFTY million just on transfer fees. As competitions I don't think the league cup or UEFA cup matter as much as you seem to.

I know he's doing well at Twente and I know he wouldn't come here, but there are other managers who wouldn't come here that I wouldn't want either.

Fair enough and I agree to a degree about his reputation. But we're Bristol City in the Championship, I could understand your sentiments more if we were a top 10 Premier League side. I think hes far too good for us and wouldn't come anyway.

Based on the fact that Fergie spent 28 million on Veron and 7 million for Forlan I would like to tell Fergie right now to not even consider about applying for the job. Regardless of the fact Forlan scored 32 goals in La Liga in 2008 it still means Fergie is a bad manager. Besides Djemba-Djemba and Kleberson were rubbish too. Personally I wont dismiss a manager due to some bad signings, they all make them. He's done a brilliant job at FC Twente and to my understanding he hasn't spent greatly to achieve it.

I agree his reputation is too big for him to think about coming here, I would disagree with too good for us since I don't think he is anywhere near as good as his reputation. As for the Ferguson comparison - compare their good signings as well and you will see that for every one Ferguson gets wrong (about one every other season) he gets six or seven extremely right with great value. I don't think McLaren spent enough of the money he spent well really.

See what you are saying Nibor but personally I think he is a great club manager. Sure he made some naff signings but everyone has (Wenger and Franny Jeffers springs to mind)

He is doing very well on a budget with FC Twente so I reckon he could do the same here.

I don't claim to know it all thanks, I just don't think McLaren is very good and I wouldn't want him here. There's more to it than just his record, every time I've seen him interviewed he hasn't sounded the part to me and I think he's too chummy with his players.

I think what he achieved at Boro was insufficient given his resources - he spent FIFTY million just on transfer fees. As competitions I don't think the league cup or UEFA cup matter as much as you seem to.

I know he's doing well at Twente and I know he wouldn't come here, but there are other managers who wouldn't come here that I wouldn't want either.

I agree his reputation is too big for him to think about coming here, I would disagree with too good for us since I don't think he is anywhere near as good as his reputation. As for the Ferguson comparison - compare their good signings as well and you will see that for every one Ferguson gets wrong (about one every other season) he gets six or seven extremely right with great value. I don't think McLaren spent enough of the money he spent well really.

as I said before without knowing what other teams spent in that period its meaningless to use that figure.

Either way I doubt very much any manager of Boro wwould be expected to do much more than win a major domestic honour and get two good runs in european competitions while holding onto their Premier League status.

If you think those competitions dont matter what the hell does matter to clubs outside the big 4 or 5?

Archived