IGNORED

Poor Referee

Guest City81

Guest City81

Sorry if this has been posted already but I thought the referee was awful last night.

Every time Butler won the ball in the air he gave a foul to them, and the same happened to Peacock. It was not a great game but the ref just seemed to make it even worse.

Although thankfully he didn't have the bottle to give that blatant penalty. Let's hope wednesdays ref isn't so whistle happy.

Guest Cyprus_Red

terrible. pathtic didnt no what he was doing. i thought he was playing for hartlepool until he didnt give that stonewall penalty. poor performance all round.

To be honest until half time I didn't think he was that bad. But as soon as he didn't give the penalty it was almost like he was trying to even everything out. He almost blew his whistle for a foul on Roberts before their goal so it was like he'd thought, that was a foul. I won't give it though to make up for the other one! He really was a ****ing joke.

Guest eviltaxman

In my opinion, (which ain't worth a lot!) I think ref's should be scrutenised after each game by the FA.... you think about it, you're at work/school, you make a cock-up... you get a ticking off.

If you are a driver, after 12 points on your licence (and a period of not driving) you have to re-take your driving test.

How long have some off these so called "top rated" refs been refereeing??? :wacko:

The FA should should mark them, based on "good" & "bad" calls and general standards, over a fixed period of time. If the ref is found to be (putting it as politley as possible)... crap, then the FA should make them re-sit what ever test they have to take in the first place.

Bottomline....... Referees make judgement calls that can make or break a business. Afterall, a football club is a company trying to do business, with employees etc.....

I'll get off the ol' soapbox now... :whistle:

Replying to Eviltaxman:

After every game referees are scored on a scale of 1 to 10 on their performance by both teams. There are numerous categories, such as accuracy of decisions, positioning and fitness.

Low scores have to be explained in writing to the FA.

Refs in the lower leagues who apply for promotion are assessed several times over the course of a season by an experienced referee, who are usually pretty harsh (as a ref you'll get a ticking if your boots are dirty before the start of the match or have too much colour on them; or if you didn't turn up to the game in a shirt and tie)

The scores from this, a fitness test, the clubs scores and a written and oral exam will then be used to decide if they should get promoted.

In the higher leagues, they are assessed not just when they want promotion, but every season to see if they should be where they are. Assessors are at many more games giving feedback and advice to both the FA and the ref.

Intensity of this increases until you get to the 'select' group of refs in the Premiership, who meet up every fortnight to train and watch videos of performances to see how they would have dealt with situations and help them to be more consistent in the future.

I hope this all helps a bit. Any other info, ask :whistle:

Rob

He had definitely decided to even up his mistake for the penalty but giving Hartlepool everything afterwards, the 2 bookings were a joke and their goal came after an obvious foul on Roberts.

Mind you if referees are scrutinised and marked after every match how does Rob Styles get allowed to referee at any standard, let alone in the Prem? the guy is a complete joke and appears to give contentious decisions just for the fun of it.

Guest eviltaxman

TMIB....... Thanks for that. I had a feeling there was already something in place... but I'm glad I'm not that the ref come Monday morning at the FA :whistle:

Replying to Eviltaxman:

After every game referees are scored on a scale of 1 to 10 on their performance by both teams. There are numerous categories, such as accuracy of decisions, positioning and fitness.

Low scores have to be explained in writing to the FA.

Refs in the lower leagues who apply for promotion are assessed several times over the course of a season by an experienced referee, who are usually pretty harsh (as a ref you'll get a ticking if your boots are dirty before the start of the match or have too much colour on them; or if you didn't turn up to the game in a shirt and tie)

The scores from this, a fitness test, the clubs scores and a written and oral exam will then be used to decide if they should get promoted.

In the higher leagues, they are assessed not just when they want promotion, but every season to see if they should be where they are. Assessors are at many more games giving feedback and advice to both the FA and the ref.

Intensity of this increases until you get to the 'select' group of refs in the Premiership, who meet up every fortnight to train and watch videos of performances to see how they would have dealt with situations and help them to be more consistent in the future.

I hope this all helps a bit. Any other info, ask :whistle:

Rob

I have a question:

How has Rob Styles slipped through the net?

Obviously, every system is flawed. What I would suggest about Rob Styles is that maybe he's very good at the theory, and ups his game when he knows assessors are about.

The club marks aren't relied upon too much. It's not because everyone has a bad game one in a while, it's just that they are very biased. For example, in a match between A and B, both teams may have been satisfied with the ref and the 0-0 scoreline... until the last minute, when the ref gives a penalty to B. It's converted, leading the match to end 0-1.

And thus two types of report are produced: one from team B with really high marks, and the other from A with really low marks.

And another point is that these marks are averaged out over a season anyway, so a couple of shocking performances won't affect you too much if you've had an average to good season.

two things i want to know is, why the hell did he give a FK to HU when rougier had the ball and his finger skimmed their players face, AND why did their keeper get the ball from an incident that occured when WE were attacking surely we should have been given the ball or at least a good old drop ball

######G B@ST@RD!!!

why did their keeper get the ball from an incident that occured when WE were attacking surely we should have been given the ball or at least a good old drop ball

######G B@ST@RD!!!

Like I said on another thread, the only rule for a dropped ball is that it is dropped where play was stopped. There is no requirement on how many players are in the surrounding area.

Therefore, it was our players fault that they weren't there to go for it... that's a question that you should be asking them, not the ref.

If you watch it again, you'll notice it went like this: the ref noticed that the keeper was down (and I don't actually think he was faking it, he did land on his shoulder quite awkardly) and blew up for him to get treatment... if the ref thinks that a injury is serious he is within his rights to do this.

The keeper was treated on the field and didn't have to leave (yet again, by the book... the keeper does not have to go off of the field of play like outfield players) and the ref followed the drop ball procedure by dropping the ball, which the keeper picked up.

Yes, the ref was crap yesterday. But he did that one by the book

Like I said, you should ask the players why they weren't present, not the ref

If I was officiating, Iwouldn't hang around asking why they weren't going to be present. By the looks of it our players had already fallen back, ready for the ball to be put back into open play.

Not sure why we didn't try to get it back... although my first thought was that the keeper was going to kick it back out of play for us to build up another attack... even I was a bit annoyed when he just did a usual kick

Archived