IGNORED

Ivan Sproule

Coach

Great supersub performance from Ivan today, absolutely tore them apart.

BUT, in his interview he sounds very frustrated.

Could he be looking for a move or maybe he's matured and will now be the player everyone who's ever seen him play hoped he could become. Certainly looks determined, hopefully the latter.

I am not a fan of Ivan (though he was great today.) He does have the occasional wonder performance but has always been and always will be FAR too inconsistent.

Millen is quoted on the OS as saying this; "Ivan is a very good impact player. He won't like me saying that, but when we do start him then he needs some more consistency."

I guess he didn't like being told this, but sometimes the truth hurts. Unless he finds that consistancy, and to be fair he hasn't in the a couple of seasons, he is down for the 'supersub' role. He did really well today and made the goal, no doubt. He was terrorising a tired defender which made his job easier.

Could he be looking for a move or maybe he's matured and will now be the player everyone who's ever seen him play hoped he could become. Certainly looks determined, hopefully the latter.

We know Ivan can do it in short bursts against a tired full back late in the game, and he was superb in that role today.

We also know he can't do it against Championship full backs for a full game and even his cameo supersub performances often don't come off.

Not surprising if he's frustrated - like us fans he wishes he could perform consistently at this level but after 3 years knows he can't.

You can't help liking Ivan though and he'll always be popular due to occasional displays like today.

Edit: Nogbad, not Turnipdoh.gif

Just watched the interview and he's clearly frustrated, wouldn't be at all surprised if he left at the end of the season. He was of course excellent today and I agree with the above poster in the sense that I actually think he's been unlucky not to play more based on his performances this season, but all the tinkering with teams and formations probably hasn't helped him. It is frustrating how he can be inaffective when played from the start, and if he could just improve on this he really could be a top player imo.

Millen is quoted on the OS as saying this; "Ivan is a very good impact player. He won't like me saying that, but when we do start him then he needs some more consistency."

I guess he didn't like being told this, but sometimes the truth hurts. Unless he finds that consistancy, and to be fair he hasn't in the a couple of seasons, he is down for the 'supersub' role. He did really well today and made the goal, no doubt. He was terrorising a tired defender which made his job easier.

I think that was Sproule at his best released to focus on runnign at a defence rather than continualy tracking back which was his trade mark under Johnson and having to hold his poistion on the half way line. Today we saw him isolate the fall back and on three or four occasions show him a clean pair of heels, undoubtedly as KM said on Radio Briz that his impact was decisive on winning the game.

Sproule like many of the squad was stiffled under the previous reigeme and his performance today was refreshing and more of what I certianly like to see. I couldn't say whether he will be here next season, I'm not suprised he has become frustrated at the lack of oppertunity. But I don't think that is necessrily Millen's fault.

Someone, not so long ago, once said that wingers were "myths".

Today I witnessed a 'myth' win a otherwise dour game between a team in mid table and a team in the play offs.

Before this 'myth' came on as a substitute this game I was watching was at best average, at worst it was typical 2nd Division stereotypical rubbish that I/we have been watching for the last 24 months.

I also watched a "European Cup" quarter final the other night, that had comparable "myths" playing, four infact, two either side, and in my humble opinion all four effected the game in a positive manner.

The two 'best' City sides I have witnessed have included such myths as Howard Pricthard, Alan Crawford, David Smith and Mark Gavin.

Personally I will take unconsistency and frustration just to have a 'myth' get me out of my seat (stewards permitting) five or six times a game.

LONG LIVE THE MYTH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone, not so long ago, once said that wingers were "myths".

Today I witnessed a 'myth' win a otherwise dour game between a team in mid table and a team in the play offs.

Before this 'myth' came on as a substitute this game I was watching was at best average, at worst it was typical 2nd Division stereotypical rubbish that I/we have been watching for the last 24 months.

I also watched a "European Cup" quarter final the other night, that had comparable "myths" playing, four infact, two either side, and in my humble opinion all four effected the game in a positive manner.

The two 'best' City sides I have witnessed have included such myths as Howard Pricthard, Alan Crawford, David Smith and Mark Gavin.

Personally I will take unconsistency and frustration just to have a 'myth' get me out of my seat (stewards permitting) five or six times a game.

LONG LIVE THE MYTH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep and we know who that was, something I said was and still beleive to be nieve and ridiculous (I have posted as much on more than one occassion). However, having come out of the shadow he has done several things to improve the team and perofrmance i.e. give youth a chance, play the ball on the deck and finaly try and attack teams, low and behold the goals against column has improved.

I think KM will look back and regret those comments, certianly giving him the yes man image, which he has done well to shift in recent weeks.

seems like a strange time to make those noises - when we haven't got a manager??

for all he knows, the new manager may rate him and play him??

Agree, we are at a crossroads at the moment and every single player effectively is going to be given a clean slate when the new man comes in. A new manager could see Sproule as a starting winger and give him a go, who knows..

Personally however i think he has been given enough starts over the last 2 and a bit years to show what he can do and for what ever reason hasnt been able to hold down a first team place. Today showed why he is deffinetly a good member of the squad but obviously from this interview he wants to be more than just a squad player which is fair enough.

seems like a strange time to make those noises - when we haven't got a manager??

for all he knows, the new manager may rate him and play him??

I think the OP is being a bit overdramatic, he does emphasise his frustration and desire to play but also says explicitly 'I'm not going to knock on the manager's door about not playing when the team keep winning' and 'I'm happy to be a part of this great squad'.. Wouldn't read too much into it, he's always seemed to be a bit of a controversial one from his time at Hibs, and I certainly think he's deserved more than he's got over the past 2 seasons.

Great performance big well done. Obviously frustrated over the past sesson but did get a number of appearances either starting or from bench which generally he failed to capitalise from.

Would you pick him at wing back in front of Brad or Ribs? If we buy a left sided winger and push JCR tp the right what will be left for Ivan.

Not sure whether a move to become a starting 11 player may be best for Ivan.

Don't agree with the tone of this thread . Ivan is a fine player and when started this season he have been one of ou best players. Do you recall when he came into the team before Christmas he was the main reason we put a little run together at that stage of the season I would go as far has to say he have been our best player when he have played.

The trouble have been with Ivan that when he played a lot of the time he as been under strict instructions to keep tucked in and to keep it tight, he as also on occassions been asked to do a man marking on players.

Great performance big well done. Obviously frustrated over the past sesson but did get a number of appearances either starting or from bench which generally he failed to capitalise from.

Would you pick him at wing back in front of Brad or Ribs? If we buy a left sided winger and push JCR tp the right what will be left for Ivan.

Not sure whether a move to become a starting 11 player may be best for Ivan.

Agree 100% with virtually everything that has been previously said ie Great bloke popular with the fans and team mates alike, lightening pace especially against tiring full backs, was never going to be the first name on the team sheet of our former manager, crossing has never been the best, etc. etc. etc. etc.

But when I think of Ivan one word keeps springing to mind - CONSISTENCY. Yesterday he was magnificent and the Swansea left back who until Ivans appearance had been their main threat as everytime Doris their keeper got the ball he would look for him, even if he was out on the right side of his area, must have really wondered just what had hit him as I honestly dont think that he would have faced to many more pacier wingers even when he was playing with Newcastle in the Premier League last season.

Personally I want Ivan to stay (whoever is sitting in Gabbys old chair next season) purely for the reason that he has the ability to suddenly brighten up a game such as yesterdays which prior to Ivans entrance could have been best described as an "end of the season sojourn in the sunshine." As for starting more permanently then we would probably have to change our formation to the point where Bradders would have to revert more to a traditional full back position with one of the midfielders playing a little more wide on the right to allow Ivan to do his thing on the oppo full back at will.

One other last observation and as i previously said "Personally I hope Iv is still with us next season as he is one of very few who can actually raise my bum from the confinement of my seat" is that IF Ivan decides to trade his wears elsewhere then I really, really, really, hope that we dont make the same serious mistake that we made at the start of this season when we let McIndoe go to Cov and then never replaced him???

As proven yesterday by Ivan - WINGERS CAN AND DO WIN MATCHES.

Ah that most glorious of positions the winger, as another poster mentioned the likes of Pritch, Smithy Mark Gavin and Crawford wre all bums off of seat players and so enjoyable to watch. But how many of these players were consistant, playing 100% for 90 mins every week. Now Pritch was a hero of mine as a kid but even so he was at his best for about 10 to 15 mins a game and then not every game but that's the thing about wingers. So the moral of the story is if you want wingers then be prepared to get frustrated, if you want 100% for 90 mins bring back a battling midfielder because in my 40 odd years of watching football you don't get both.

Ps on his day I think Ivan is as good as any of the afore mentioned City legends

I'm obviously in the minority, but I feel he's had a good season this year and has been unlucky not to start more often.

great performance from him today, arguably worth man of the match.

I agree if Ivan starts a game and dont have a good or brilliant game hes dropped to the bench for the next 10 games he doesnt get a chance to settle into the team and when he does start is under so much pressure to perform that it affects his game.I HOPE HE STAYS AND GETS A RUN IN TEAM as he demonstrated against the swans what he can do

Wingers can look inconsistent because when the team isn't in possession they see none of the ball but Ivan's inconsistency is when he has the ball - he works hard off it.

Look at yesterday:

First two runs, very exciting until terrible decisions to cut inside onto left foot, ended in nothing.

Next run went outside, got a corner.

Next time, went outside and pulled back for a goal.

Then produced one of the best crosses we've seen all season.

When he starts we seem to get a lot more of the former - bad decisions and no real useful result.

I hope he can produce some consistency but in the mean time having him play off the bench like that is great.

I hope and expect him to stay. No one in the present squad changes the nature and general pace of a game like he does when he comes on. The crowd knows we have a chance when he comes on and it invariably creates chances, always expectation and excitement. Quite simply, he electrifies Ashton Gate.

The game was sluggish against Swansea and we needed to up the tempo. Ivan single handedly did that.

I suspect GJ asked him to provide defensive cover as well, but like Trundle, he should always be at the other end of the pitch. Ivan defending is simply not a quality we are looking for in him.

Lastly, I think having Ribiero behind him and not Orr next season will make that right side far more productive in link up play, pace and delivery. Generally speaking, we need to give alot more of the ball to Ivan, like we used to with Murray in his heyday.

IVAN TO STAY!

David Smith and Mark Gavin, now there you have two proper wingers (with different styles of play), absolutely loved watching those two in action. they were happy days.

In two years why Ivan hasn't deceided to practice crossing in training it beyond me. He can easily get into the byline postion ime after time, but 8/10 times sticks it in the crowd. If I was him I'd get John Akinde and James Wilson to challenge ac otehr in the box, while I pretend run down the wing and stick crosses in for Big John to attack. 3 players learning what they need to do best.

There you go next boss, hire me as tactical training coach.

Archived