IGNORED

Good Record Against The Top Six

tinman-is-god

The top six will (probably) end up as it is now, with Swansea the only real side in danger, and presuming it stays as it is, we have done well against the top sides this season.

Newcastle - 0-0, 2-2

West Brom 1-4, 2-1

Forest 1-1, 1-1

Cardiff 0-3,0-6

Leicester 3-1,1-1

Swansea 0-0,1-0

So, in 12 games we have only lost three, with two of those to the same side. With wins over West Brom, Swansea and Leicester it is clear to see that we have the potential to compete with the better sides in this division. I know a fair few of those are draws, but in the vast majority of those games they were a point gained rather than two dropped.

We also did well at West Brom in the first half, and the scoreline certainly flattered the Baggies. We were 2-0 down at HT despite being the better side with the better chances.

There is no reason why this club did not have the ability to go up this year. Our performances against the better sides fill me with optimism and hope next year; there is no reason why we should not be challenging at the top end of the table next season, especially when we have (bar Cardiff) done well against all the top sides.

The top six will (probably) end up as it is now, with Swansea the only real side in danger, and presuming it stays as it is, we have done well against the top sides this season.

Newcastle - 0-0, 2-2

West Brom 1-4, 2-1

Forest 1-1, 1-1

Cardiff 0-3,0-6

Leicester 3-1,1-1

Swansea 0-0,1-0

So, in 12 games we have only lost three, with two of those to the same side. With wins over West Brom, Swansea and Leicester it is clear to see that we have the potential to compete with the better sides in this division. I know a fair few of those are draws, but in the vast majority of those games they were a point gained rather than two dropped.

We also did well at West Brom in the first half, and the scoreline certainly flattered the Baggies. We were 2-0 down at HT despite being the better side with the better chances.

There is no reason why this club did not have the ability to go up this year. Our performances against the better sides fill me with optimism and hope next year; there is no reason why we should not be challenging at the top end of the table next season, especially when we have (bar Cardiff) done well against all the top sides.

Agreed that bar Cardiff where we were simply outclassed in both games we have done well against the top 6. I actually thought we did ok at the hawthornes as well and played some decent stuff, especially in the middle of the park. However we made defensive errors for all of their goals and some of our defending was comical in that game. Obviously the home victory over them was throughly deserved and very enjoyable. We matched Newcastle for long periods at home and battled well to come away with a hard-fought draw at St James as well. Both the Forest encounters, whilst uninspiring, were very even and we played very well against Leicester in both games, and were unfortunate not to claim 6 points from them. We also comfortably beat Blackpool, the other side pressing for a top 6 finish.

So yes, I see the point your making and it does seem as if we can raise our game for the big teams, the exact opposite of our season last year, where Reading were the only team in the top half that we managed to beat! If we can show the same levels of commitment and enthusiasm for the less glamourous fixtures in this league, (such as we've done under Millen) then based on our performances against the top sides, and our results under Millen, you have to say it does look as if we have a pretty decent squad.

Archived