IGNORED

Quality Players On The Cheap

bangers

With there being some quality players on the verge of being relegated from the Championship what players do you think would be available on cheap, yet good enough to make our squad good enough to challenge for the Championship/Playoff positions?

Neil Danns has been class for Palarse this year, and with them in severe financial trouble surely he would be available for a good price and without a doubt would add quality to our midfield??? Same goes for Darren Ambrose???? What about that Gudjohnsson from Burnley, he on his way out and cant see him going to a Premier League side????

What other players do you think will be available for the cheap?????

Peterbrough: Joe Lewis, Mackil Smith, boyd, Frecklington

Palace: Speroni, Clyne, Danns, Ambrose, Scannel

Wednesday: Grant, Beevers, Tudgay

I would love too Joe Lewis down at the gate,decent keeper in my opinion. However i wouldn't be suprised too see a Premier League team come in for Palace's Clyde, looks to have a bright future,Under 21's internatonal i believe. Neil Danns,Darren Ambrose are very good shouts, but i would imagine Ambrose wage's could be rather high. I mentioned Sean Scannell in January i think he is a good young talent.

Peterbrough: Joe Lewis, Mackil Smith, boyd, Frecklington

Palace: Speroni, Clyne, Danns, Ambrose, Scannel

Wednesday: Grant, Beevers, Tudgay

Boyd has already gone to Forest.......and I think the post was about quality players on the CHEAP. You've probably quoted about nigh on £10m worth of talent there! Agree they are all good players but I think we will be priced out of signing them.

Danns, Ambrose and Clyne from Palace have all been said to be expected to go to join Colin at QPR. Why on earth we didn't go for Ambrose last summer baffles me; though perhaps we did. Likewise Charlie Adam was a bargain at a reported £500k to Blackpool. A goal scoring left sided player; not many of those about.

Certainly I expect the new manager to have to find bargains given what Steve has said before about cutting costs next season.

Boyd has already gone to Forest.......and I think the post was about quality players on the CHEAP. You've probably quoted about nigh on £10m worth of talent there! Agree they are all good players but I think we will be priced out of signing them.

Boyd is only on loan at forest but they do probaly have the first option to buy him on perm, but with GJ now at peterbrough maybe we will be able to do some exchanges with money involved for some of their stars, just a thought ...

With there being some quality players on the verge of being relegated from the Championship what players do you think would be available on cheap, yet good enough to make our squad good enough to challenge for the Championship/Playoff positions?

Neil Danns has been class for Palarse this year, and with them in severe financial trouble surely he would be available for a good price and without a doubt would add quality to our midfield??? Same goes for Darren Ambrose???? What about that Gudjohnsson from Burnley, he on his way out and cant see him going to a Premier League side????

What other players do you think will be available for the cheap?????

Joey Gudjohnsson is out of contract in the summer, and has no future at burnley while Brian Laws is there. so he could be a realistic target.

Boyd is only on loan at forest but they do probaly have the first option to buy him on perm, but with GJ now at peterbrough maybe we will be able to do some exchanges with money involved for some of their stars, just a thought ...

£1.2m, done deal - was chatting to a Peterboro fan the other night.

As for Gudjohnsson - are you kidding me? What a fantastic attitude he's got. No thank you

I expect anyone decent leaving Palarse will go to QPR

Will be interesting to see if any posh/city players swap clubs but Lewis prob have higher aspirations and command a decent fee. Mackail-Smith could be an interesting one?

I had a look at prem teams the other day to see if theres any commanding centrebacks who dont appear to be getting a game

one was Danny Shittu but hes meant to be on big wages plus he isnt as good as hes cracked up to be, to big and slow.

One quite interesting centreback could be Andrew Davies at Stoke, unless hes been crock he hasnt played at all this season by looks of it and I thought he was meant to be quite highly rated at one point. Wikipedia says former saints player of the year, 6 ft 3, 25 years old and not getting a look in at stoke. Sounds like a mediocre loan spell at Sheff Utd but worth a look?

- David James - Coming to the end of his career as good as ever.

- Kevin Phillips - Proven Goalscorer.

- Darren Ambrose - Hard Working, goalscoring central or wide midfielder.

- Marcus Tudgay Quick and Skillful.

- Steve Finnan - Possibly.

- Kevin Kilbane - Left Back / Left Midfield.

Potential Starting Team For Next Season:

David James

Ribiero

Carey

Fontaine

Kilbane

Haynes

Hartley

Skuse

Ambrose

Tudgay

Maynard

Bench:

Gerken

Finnan

Phillips

Elliott

Sproule

Nyatanga

McCalister

He's shit.

Grant from Weds to sign :fingerscrossed:

Seip from Plymouth aswel is pretty decent.

There are plenty around to be had.

Seip is OK nothing special, i life in Plymouth and the games i have seen he has been good at times and awful at others. It is also reported Seip is a bad influence in the dressing room hence the reason he was flogged of too Blackpool on loan. Arnesson from Plymouth is a better shout to be honest, probably Argyle's best player of what i have seen and many Argyle fans i know agree.

- David James - Coming to the end of his career as good as ever.

- Kevin Phillips - Proven Goalscorer.

- Darren Ambrose - Hard Working, goalscoring central or wide midfielder.

- Marcus Tudgay Quick and Skillful.

- Steve Finnan - Possibly.

- Kevin Kilbane - Left Back / Left Midfield.

Potential Starting Team For Next Season:

David James

Ribiero

Carey

Fontaine

Kilbane

Haynes

Hartley

Skuse

Ambrose

Tudgay

Maynard

Bench:

Gerken

Finnan

Phillips

Elliott

Sproule

Nyatanga

McCalister

Not getting rid of Haynes.

Henderson wil be 2nd Gerken 3rd choice.

Nope, just being blind.

My bad :innocent06: I like the look of that team, the transfers wont be much, but the wages? :/

The wages are always the problem but yeh i would be happy with the majority of that team although i would like to see quite a bit of money spent this year and push with a new manager.

I think the cost of each player would be a bit like this:

David James - 500,000

Kilbane - 300,000

Phillips - £0 - 500,000

Tudgay - 1 - 1.5 Million or possibly Lita for 500,000 - 1 Million?

Ambrose - 500,000

Maximum Total - 3.3 Million

Minimum Total - 2.3 Million

As for wages:

David James - I can't see him wanted tons of money to be honest but 5,000 sounds reasonable p/w.

Kilbane - 5,000

Phillips - 5,000 as well

Tudgay - 8,000 - 10,000

Ambrose 8,000 - 10,000

31,000 - 35,000 p/w all together

Quite a lot of money but we won't be paying the likes of Agyemang and Sno money both of which must be getting payed a fair bit?

You guys want a 41 YEAR OLD Keeper.... erm Alrighty then???tumbleweed.giftumbleweed.giftumbleweed.gifsurrender.gif

Phillips will be 37/38

Kilbane is mid late 30s

Finnan will be c 34

Long term planning is it?

Nope its short term planning all those players have Premier League credintials and leadership qualitys teach the likes of Ribiero, Henderson, Plummer the football that we crave. Phillips at 37 is still as strong as ever and this is in the Premier League and the same can be said for the other three. And yes i would like to see a 41 year old keeper who still is in with a shout to go to South Africa for the World Cup with England thank you. A keeper who has played with multiple Premier League teams and done well and has got better with age.

The wages are always the problem but yeh i would be happy with the majority of that team although i would like to see quite a bit of money spent this year and push with a new manager.

I think the cost of each player would be a bit like this:

David James - 500,000

Kilbane - 300,000

Phillips - £0 - 500,000

Tudgay - 1 - 1.5 Million or possibly Lita for 500,000 - 1 Million?

Ambrose - 500,000

Maximum Total - 3.3 Million

Minimum Total - 2.3 Million

As for wages:

David James - I can't see him wanted tons of money to be honest but 5,000 sounds reasonable p/w.

Kilbane - 5,000

Phillips - 5,000 as well

Tudgay - 8,000 - 10,000

Ambrose 8,000 - 10,000

31,000 - 35,000 p/w all together

Quite a lot of money but we won't be paying the likes of Agyemang and Sno money both of which must be getting payed a fair bit?

Are you for real?

Despite the fact that James is knocking on 40, he's an England regular, do you honestly believe he'd come to us for £5k a week?

Phillips, too? seeing as he's on £25k a week at Brum.

There are bargains to be had but over the hill late 30 somethings on Prem wages isn't the way to go.

Signings we've made before like Marvin Elliott, Basso, Fontaine, those are bargains, not paying huge sums to players looking for one last payday.

Read between the Lines

James has moaned and been criticised with every club he has been at from Watford onwards. He is in it for one man only, That is David James

Neville Southall, Peter Shilton, et al he is not.. He has nothing to offer and would be a complete and utter waste of wages/massive signing fee, if he was interested.

The last really old keeper we had.. Phil Kite.. that worked a treat didnt it?

Phillips can offer what exactly? 37 lower leagues maybe.. people on here moaned about Trundle having no pace, Phillips would be a waste of money. Why disrupte to young striokers with one who is older than time itself.

So for a one season hit that would completely unbalance the squad and screw up the wages structure you want to bring in Dads Army? It worked for Crystal Palace in the Prem With Brolin and Lombardo and Padavano et al didnt it?

So your saying David James is in football for himself are you talking about the man who gives a lot to charity and the first Portsmouth player to say he would accept a wage cut after there financial problems. As well as cancelling a deal in his contract that would of seen him be payed a couple of million pounds after a certain amount of games. And last but not least the player who after 50 or so Portsmouth employees where left redundant, brought a few back and with a few other players sacrificed a percentage of their wages to pay them. All i can say is David is so greedy, NOT.

Are you for real?

Despite the fact that James is knocking on 40, he's an England regular, do you honestly believe he'd come to us for £5k a week?

Phillips, too? seeing as he's on £25k a week at Brum.

There are bargains to be had but over the hill late 30 somethings on Prem wages isn't the way to go.

Signings we've made before like Marvin Elliott, Basso, Fontaine, those are bargains, not paying huge sums to players looking for one last payday.

By the way these are old but experienced players. Which are now just looking for games. Im sure Phillips and James are well off. They won't be looking for 20k p/w they want to enjoy ther football and be playing football money will just be there rewards not there meaning to come hear. And if it is we can tell them both to bugger off.

I was reading the paper on sunday and Simon Cox was in all the pictures, he's not really set the world alight in the championship this season but I still think he could do a job for us, maybe on a season-long loan. I'd agree with speroni with their financial position he should be too expensive. We could do with a good dominant center half someone like Martin Taylor but ideally quicker maybe someone like Andrew Davies from Stoke.

Archived