IGNORED

Nick Hammond (merged)

Who Shot JR?

Sorry if this is old news... I've been on my hols! icecream.gif

Rumour I heard re: BCFC's new structure...

Director of Football (!) - Nick Hammond

Manager - Steve Coppell

Assistant Manager - Keith Millen

Sorry if I might be sounding dumb here (or missing a joke?)

But who the hell is Nick Hammond????

Played 3 games for the g*s in the 80's. Ex Swindon Town & Reading 'keeper. Highly rated in many footballing circles by all accounts.

Currently Director of Football at Reading so I guess we would have to pay for severence??

Maybe his contract is up at the end of the season and can move for free?

Played 3 games for the g*s in the 80's. Ex Swindon Town & Reading 'keeper. Highly rated in many footballing circles by all accounts.

Currently Director of Football at Reading so I guess we would have to pay for severence??

If this rumour is to be believed and SL is planning to bring in Hammond, it clearly demonstrates (when coupled with Coppell) SL's Prem ambitions.

Yep....

Hammond signs new contract

Posted on: Fri 16 Apr 2010 Reading Football Club are delighted to announce that Director of Football Nick Hammond has signed a new contract with the club, keeping him at Madejski Stadium for a further three years.

Nick has been in the role since October 2003, helping guide the club through the most successful era in its history.

He said, "I am delighted to have committed to this new deal and it allows me to focus fully on the challenges ahead.

"It has been a difficult season and my focus over the last couple of months has been to work closely with Brian McDermott to stabilise things and deal with the issues that we have faced. We have done that and now there is a great determination to build on the successes we've had in both the League and the FA Cup since Brian took over.

"I have a close working relationship with the Chairman, the Board and Brian, and I hope that together we can continue to develop this exciting new team."

Chairman Sir John Madejski added, "I'm absolutely delighted that Nick has signed this new contract.

"He has served Reading Football Club for a number of years now, and has made an invaluable contribution to our success. The role of Director of Football is very, very important to our club, and we are fortunate to have Nick because he does the job extremely well indeed."

So... Steve Coppell apparently works well with a DOF, he has even filled the role himself (at Palarse). Now it appears we aren't getting Hammond, who does that leave IF we are going down this route?

I can't think of anyone TBH.

Sorry if this is old news... I've been on my hols! icecream.gif

Rumour I heard re: BCFC's new structure...

Director of Football (!) - Nick Hammond

Manager - Steve Coppell

Assistant Manager - Keith Millen

This was a genuine piece of info - perhaps he made it clear that other parties were interested in him and used this as leverage...

Sorry CiderHider

Clickety Click

Try that Un!

Cheers. Hmm though, if he is the right man to work alongside SC and KM, then a recently signed 3 yr deal means nothing.

He probably did that to ensure Reading got some cash from us as a parting gift, 500k for a DOF is a good deal if he can help take us to prem, and I cant believe hes earning anything more than 500k in 3 yrs, just buy out his contract SL :winner_third_h4h:

so coppell will be director of football with millen as first team coach. bit of a promotion for keith and steve coppell to deal with all the transfers, contracts, lend am experienced hand when required. everyone's a winner - sounds good to me! alternatively, hammond is staying putting and city's plans are up in the air.

Coppell as manager, KM as assistant - simples. We don't need a director of football.

What exactly does a Director of Football do? The Wiki definition is...

'The presence of a director of football acts as an intermediary between the manager and the board and may relieve pressure on a manager by handing aspects away from day-to-day coaching, allowing a manager to focus on on-pitch performance. The director may also help to stabilse the club - many examples exist of director stepping in as a caretaker manager on the depature of the manager. The director - often an experienced football figure - may also positively advise a less experienced manager or the board of a less well developed club.'

If this is taken as read, it easy to see why SL (or the incoming manager) might want a Director of Football. If the SC rumours are true (and he's signing a one year contract), it becomes even more plausible. Hammond would have been perfect for SC as they have worked together previously and they could have 'hit the ground running' as it were.

If you ask me, having a Director of Football is a GOOD idea.

DOF looks after paper work so the manager can have 100% concentration with on field matters. A go between SL and the gaffer really, its more slick way and may suit us if SL wants a less hand on approach with the manager.

I never really took to the ideal of a DOF, but I think it may suit us considering where we are at the moment and where we want to be.

SL will be spending less time at the club so it is no surprise that he would like a reliable confident DoF to handle day to day paper work and problems so he can be a little more hands off. I imagine it will enable SL to enjoy his role more if he can take a step back as well.

Whether its Millen as manager and Coppell as DoF, Coppell as DoF or anyone else I do not mind. I have every confidence the right and best decisions are being made within whatever circumstances people, contracts, money, timing there is. So I will sit back and wait, let up a little cheer (or even raise my pint a few centimetres) to welcome whatever happens or who is appointed.

Archived