IGNORED

Do We Need A Another Goalkepper

healey robins

It depends who becomes available, new gaffer comming in, Gerkins place is by no means safe, expecially as he was brought in initially as cover, having said that he's clearly getting better and the defenders understand his idiosyncrasy's more, keepers need time to bed in and a sustained period between the sticks to really get what they're about, I would be happy with Deano in goal at the begining of the new campaign though.

Dean did not have a bad season and he can only grow and get better over time. He is still young so I would view him as a good long term keeper who we could make our own. I see no reason why he should not be number 1 next season with Henderson as No2.

Read into this what you will but a certain Brazilian goalkeeper, banned under the previous management was at Ashton Gate for the Swansea game last week.

Maybe he was ther to see how his former club is doing just like ex players's do; e.g Lita comes down now and again, Mickey Bell. the list can go on. Why do people keep going on about Basso,yes he was a good keeper, he's left us and i doubt he'll come back. get over it!!. does my head inranting.gif

the point is about he being banished previously, now allowed back. I don't remember lita or bell being banned from turning up to training defore they left the club. I'm not saying he'll be back playing - hence the phrase ' read into this what you will'. People will keep banging on about basso cos whatever happened, unfortunately we ended up giving away a talented player for nothing and made him unavailable for selection for a year.

the point is about he being banished previously, now allowed back. I don't remember lita or bell being banned from turning up to training defore they left the club. I'm not saying he'll be back playing - hence the phrase ' read into this what you will'. People will keep banging on about basso cos whatever happened, unfortunately we ended up giving away a talented player for nothing and made him unavailable for selection for a year.

he's played 4 league games this, albeit due to injuries to 'deano' and henderson. but Johnson could of dipped into the loan market and got a 'keeper on loan for a month. and where has this come about that Basso was banned from the club, is this Fact or just made up rumours.

Im not sure how true this is, but apparently Middlesbrough made an enquiry into Basso the season before their relegation season and big money was mentioned although it never got any further than an enquiry. Perhaps, if true - this is what triggered all of the Basso wanting out stuff?

Im not sure how true this is, but apparently Middlesbrough made an enquiry into Basso the season before their relegation season and big money was mentioned although it never got any further than an enquiry. Perhaps, if true - this is what triggered all of the Basso wanting out stuff?

I heard this aswell. but i would like to know where this stuff about Basso being banned from the club cam from??dunno.gif

Read into this what you will but a certain Brazilian goalkeeper, banned under the previous management was at Ashton Gate for the Swansea game last week.

Banned? Thats a bit ott, he was never banned, he walked out on us.

He fell out of favour with the club, he wanted to play in the prem and even though there were no offers Basso was apparently convinced he could get a gig at a prem club.

Also we didn't sign his cousin from Donny, Anderson de Silva which pissed him off. Look at the facts, he was 1st on the team sheet, a fans fav, and was offered a deal to make him the highest paid city player, he turned it down even when his agent insisted he sign it as there was noone in for him, nothing even on the radar.. I don't understand Basso's logic tbh, everything ive read on here, from the club, the media tells me he just got a bit too big for his boots and thought he could do better elsewhere, evidently, like most players who leave here thinking they're better are wrong.

Absolutely no reason why we need one. Henderson has done a good job(and should be the No 1), and Deano is a good no 2.

The U19 keeper can be brought in for cup games anyway, getting him the experience needed for the step up.

We need an established number one. I would then have gerken as third choice. Not that I have anything against the guy.

Hendo is better than Gerken, but not an established number one quite yet.

We can get better.

And Joe Lewis isn't that good, he's just mentioned a fair bit as he's big and went for 500k at a young age.

I'd pick Hendo over Lewis from what I've seen of them both.

We need an established number one. I would then have gerken as third choice. Not that I have anything against the guy.

Hendo is better than Gerken, but not an established number one quite yet.

We can get better.

And Joe Lewis isn't that good, he's just mentioned a fair bit as he's big and went for 500k at a young age.

I'd pick Hendo over Lewis from what I've seen of him.

Hendo didn't do himself any favours today, a poor team performance all round to be fair.

I thought Gerkin was brought in to be No2 to Basso. Circumstances gave him the opportunity to play whilst we tried, and tried, to sort of the Basso situation. With hindsight we chased Basso too long, but that's how important he was thought to be to us. But then we lost ground getting in a replacement. Gerkin when signing can never have imagined playing as much.

I'm pretty amazed we have finished so high in the table with the keeper's we've had. Keeper's steady the defence and vice versa, both areas have not been as good as they should be this season.

Not really worth bringing anyone else in imo and tbh it would be better to start the season with Gerken playing the league games and Henderson the cup games.

I wouldn't make Henderson first choice over Gerken, at the end of the day Gerken has a seasons worth of experience with the lads now and before he was clobbered looked as though he could command the defence - which was his only real problem. Henderson doesn't have the experience factor yet but giving him the cup games (regardless of the opposition) would be a massive boost for him.

Correct. Not long after Schwarzer left to join Fulham.

Though a past manager will disagree that it ever happened.

There's no reason we should bring in a "top" keeper and push the current two back into obscurity, we should bring in a youngster, in a deal similar to the henderson transfer.

Although I think bringing in an experienced keeper wouldn't upset the existing lads too much however.

Absolutely no reason why we need one. Henderson has done a good job(and should be the No 1), and Deano is a good no 2.

The U19 keeper can be brought in for cup games anyway, getting him the experience needed for the step up.

Well said Bucksred. A new keeper signed means that Henderson will lose a budding career, Deano will enjoy the bench and reserves. Totally unneccessary imo. What we need to improve is the indefencible defence in front of the keeper. Deano is a great reflex keeper, Hendo controls the box better than Basso and Deano, all we have to do is coach both current keepers to improve their short comings.

We have from now until August to work on that, surely cheaper than a wage and sign on for another keeper. Hendo could well end up a regular International and imo he could either develop quickly with us or die with us........down to management or lack of it.

Archived