IGNORED

Down Memory Lane With Steve Coppell

Blagdon red

• SC&T Board Members

Thought this might bring back a few memories for old-timers and be of interest for younger fans:

21st October, 1978. First Division.

Manchester United vs Bristol City at Old Trafford

Final score: Utd 1-3 City

Scorers:

City: Mabbutt 3

Utd: Greenhoff (pen)

No. 7 for United: Steve Coppell (aged 22)

utdprog1.gif

utdprog2.gif

And yes, I was there ... any others??

Thought this might bring back a few memories for old-timers and be of interest for younger fans:

21st October, 1978. First Division.

Manchester United vs Bristol City at Old Trafford

Final score: Utd 1-3 City

Scorers:

City: Mabbutt 3

Utd: Greenhoff (pen)

No. 7 for United: Steve Coppell (aged 22)

utdprog1.gif

utdprog2.gif

And yes, I was there ... any others??

No, didn't get to that one.

Watched City at OT though, probably the season before.

Midweek night match, arrived at k.o so the four of us went in the first turnstile we came to and quickly realised we were in with the United mob, with the City fans caged in to our right.

Stayed quiet throughout the match but were sussed out anyway and set upon on the walk back to the car. I didn't realise I could actually jump over a parked car but I managed it that night.

And of course City lost.

Memorable night alright but not for the same reasons as the Mabbutt match.no.gif

No, didn't get to that one.

Watched City at OT though, probably the season before.

Midweek night match, arrived at k.o so the four of us went in the first turnstile we came to and quickly realised we were in with the United mob, with the City fans caged in to our right.

Stayed quiet throughout the match but were sussed out anyway and set upon on the walk back to the car. I didn't realise I could actually jump over a parked car but I managed it that night.

And of course City lost.

Memorable night alright but not for the same reasons as the Mabbutt match.no.gif

Did you notice the other City manager on the program.

Young Mr Jordan

And that f*ckhead Macari who managed Swindle as well

Didn't go - was only about 8 - but did see City draw at home with ManUre around the same time: 1-1, as I recall the above mentioned f*ckhead scored first then Dave Rodgers equalised? It was my first game (33,000 at the Gate!!!) Dave later became groundsman at my school and I never had the bottle to go up and talk to him about that, something I regret to this day.

Went on Beanies coach, it broke down in Brum on the journey up, when we got to OT the game was well under way and all the turnstiles were closed

no one about, when eventually someone did show up we were all let in for free, which was nice.icecream.gif

Wasn't there, but remember listening to the result on the radio and thinking I must be a better defender than the whole Man Utd defence because I marked Mabbutt out of the game in a primary school match for Henbury Court versus Kevin's Elmlea. Mind you, he scored the only goal of the game when our goalkeeper threw the ball straight to him!

Wasn't there, but remember listening to the result on the radio and thinking I must be a better defender than the whole Man Utd defence because I marked Mabbutt out of the game in a primary school match for Henbury Court versus Kevin's Elmlea. Mind you, he scored the only goal of the game when our goalkeeper threw the ball straight to him!

I went to Elmlea and we had a strong team in the late 60's. Some great battles with Teyfant if I remember rightly, and some ruthless massacres of St.Johns.

We heard these two new boys were coming to the school who were sons of a pro footballer, ( albeit gas) so we thought our places might be under threat.

Anyway, Gary was a bit young but we assumed the older one at least ( Kevin would have been 10 when he came, so an older boy in what they now call year 5) would get straight in the team.

We shouldn't have worried, young Kevin failed to dislodge a free scoring young Nogbad from the team.winner_third_h4h.gif

Archived